7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Transmission Fluid 2005 Honda Civic

Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dlactin2408 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission Fluid 2005 Honda Civic

So I took my civic into the Honda dealership in my city that had a 25 dollar special on oil changes. They replaced the oil and now they said that I need a transmission flush and a power steering flush. They quoted me $300.00 for both of those 220 for the transmission and 80 for the power steering. So I looked around on this forum and it doesn't appear to be to difficult to do it myself so I thought I would try it out. My question is can I use the DW1 to fill and drain my transmission. It currently has the Z1 in it but I can not get my hands on that fluid in my city anymore. I was also told that the filter on my 2005 civic is internal and can not be replaced with out taking apart the transmission. The dealership wanted to do a "chemical flush" (not sure what this is) and replace my Z1 with the DW1 fluid. From what I have read on this forum and other honda forums a chemical flush is not a good thing to do on honda vehicles. I would like to do this myself and was thinking of trying the 3 drain and fill method that I have seen other people recommend. Any suggestions or should that work?
Old 04-04-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Transmission Fluid 2005 Honda Civic

Just do a drain and fill (or 3 if you want a proper flush) You can mix both new and old types of Honda fluid.

Has it ever had any transmission fluid changes ??

No added chemicals for me thanks.

I let the dealer do the PS fluid... but the turkey baster a bit at a time idea sounds tempting though.
Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

I have had the car for 2 years and it has not had a transmission flush since I have owned it, I am not sure if it has had one before. I have only put 12k on the vehicle in 2 years though.
Old 04-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Chemicals and machines are against Honda policy. I'm real surprised the "dealer" is going against corporate policy. They are pushing it to generate revenue, it does not help the car owner.

They certainly will not tell anyone that "Any damage caused by flush systems isn't covered by warranty."

Hmmmm. Profit motivated, not service motivated. Like many dealers and independent shops alike.

--------------------------------

I have posted a link to the copy of the official procedure several times, linked from another forum. Here: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...html#post13701 (Substitute DW-1 for Z-1, this was written before the new fluid came out.)

DW-1 is now the only ATF supplied to dealers, Honda does not supply the Z-1 anymore. They mix just fine, completely backwards compatible. (The DW-1 MUST be used in new cars though, you can't use the Z-1.)

I recommend trans fluid services every 30,000 miles for everyone, or more often if possible. Drain and fill is good for most average people.
I do ATF on my moms 02 Accord with every other oil change.
I plan on changing ATF in my 12 Civic with every oil change.

Your owners manual says nothing about servicing the power steering fluid (Go ahead and check it now, I'll wait), but it is not a bad idea. Really very few problems with steering, but it can't hurt unless you use the wrong fluid.
Use PS fluid made specifically for Honda!!! It is NOT ATF. (I have seen fluid at Oreillys that says for Honda on the bottle)
If you really want to change it, it also should be drain and fill.....but there is more.... If you want to really flush the power steering, read how it was done on the vans when they get the reservoir replaced, here: http://dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A07-005.PDF

HTH
Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

I am a little curious about the power steering flush. Is this something that is necessary? I have never had one done before or even had a recommendation to get one done. I have no issues steering and the fluid is transparent and is at the correct level.

I will probably try to do the oil myself next time as well.

Last edited by Dlactin2408; 04-04-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dlactin2408
I am a little curios about the power steering flush. Is this something that is necessary? I have never had one done before or even had a recommendation to get one done. I have no issues steering and the fluid is transparent and is at the correct level.
Reread my last paragraph. Specifically this line: "Your owners manual says nothing about servicing the power steering fluid (Go ahead and check it now, I'll wait),"

I wouldn't touch it, myself, but it can't really hurt anything if you want to do it.
Problems that are truly caused by fluid are extremely rare IMHO.

HTH
Old 04-04-2012
Registered!!

Lol yeah i should read a bit more carefully eh. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012

That's ok, I really lack reading comprehension skills at times too.
Old 04-06-2012
Registered!!

Had another question, I just did one drain and fill and I put in about 2.9 litres of fluid. When I ran my car for a bit and measured the transmission fluid it is a little above the top line on the dip stick. Is this okay or is it to high?
Old 04-06-2012

Originally Posted by Dlactin2408
Had another question, I just did one drain and fill and I put in about 2.9 litres of fluid. When I ran my car for a bit and measured the transmission fluid it is a little above the top line on the dip stick. Is this okay or is it to high?
It probably won't hurt anything.
(I see them hold maybe a half quart (half liter) too much without problems.)

I see them overfilled all the time, with seemingly no adverse effects noted.

Many people just dump 3 quarts in and let it go, without properly setting the fluid level. 3 is technically too much for that trans.

I also see them come in from other shops where someone apparently isn't aware of how to check trans fluid in a Honda automatic trans. If someone checks the fluid with the engine running, the fluid will look low, so people add some.
Then it is overfull when checked properly.

AFAIK: On all Honda built transmissions, the ATF is to be checked HOT, with the engine turned OFF, and within one minute of turning the engine off.

HTH