7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cooling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kidsride is an unknown quantity at this point
Cooling Problem

2003 Civic 1.7 SOHC, around thanksgiving did the timing belt,water pump,head gasket,therm,rad cap. Had intermittent cooling problems found it to be a bad water pump. Replaced it last weekend, Today it started again with the temp gauge going up and down stopped and checked for leaks could not see any went 5 more miles down to road with temp in the middle and looked again found the over fill hose had popped off. Maybe need new head gasket, head. I have now idea where to start on this it is making me crazy any help would be great or I might just have to take it to the dealer.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cooling Problem

They like blowing head gaskets, they usually breach between the combustion chamber and the water jacket.....Easy to diagnose if one knows what they are dong (IMO).

Make sure to have a reputable machine shop inspect (and correct if necessary) the cylinder head for straightness before reinstallation.

HTH
Old 03-27-2012
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

the overfill hose popping off happened to me once and it was because the overflow tank was clogged so the coolant couldn't expand into the overflow tank and it pop off the overfill hose and blow into the floor. i recommend renting a cooling system pressure tester to test for leaks and a block tester to test for blown head gasket. they rent for free with deposit at autozone and advance
Old 03-27-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cja3455
and a block tester to test for blown head gasket.
FYI, it has been my experience that this doesn't always show the problem.

Applying shop air pressure (160-175+) to each cylinder while watching the coolant level in the taper of a funnel, shows the problem consistently and is definitive proof for me.
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

Kidsride is an unknown quantity at this point

I will give all these a try. I drove the car for some 300 miles and had no problem. Ran it with the heat on,off defrost,A/C, cound not get the temp gauge to move. Maybe I had a air pocket? I will do some more testing this weekend.
Thanks