7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

junk yard engine swap wont start. 2002 ex

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevy power is an unknown quantity at this point
junk yard engine swap wont start. 2002 ex

A buddy and I went halves on a 2002 civic. We can't get the car to fire, it cranks over every sensor is plugged in, with our scanner hooked up we get about 200 rpm when cranking which tells us the cam shaft position sensor is working, injectors are from the old motor which ran fine just had a bad rod bearing. Motor is from an automatic and it is a vtec. We are going to do a fuel pressure test and check every coil. Is there a sensor difference from auto to manual? Anything else common ppl over look besides grounds? Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about
Re: junk yard engine swap wont start. 2002 ex

Was the old motor a vtec?

If not, you'll need a vafc 2, or you will need to get an EX ecu and get the key reflashed or get an immobilzer bypass.
Old 03-27-2012
Registered!!

We almost got it to fire yesterday, it would try on the first few revolutions then nothing. May have been some gas left over in there from our attempts before, spark appears weak. I noticed the ground wire with 4 wires coming out was greeen and corroded in the bare part. I'm going to adress that. The junk yard motor was from an ex.
Old 03-27-2012
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

I think he meant - was the old engine (out of YOUR car) an ex because otherwise it won't work without some messing around. He's saying you can't just swap a motor from an ex into an lx or dx.
Old 03-27-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

is your 02 an ex, lx, dx or vp?

how look on ur engine, does it say d17a1 or d17a2???
Old 03-27-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chevy power
spark appears weak
From my post yesterday on hondatech- "Are you getting spark? Any pinched wires? "

+1 for Laz?
Old 03-28-2012
Registered!!

Sorry I have been replying on my phone at work, rushing around and probably not making much sense. The engine was from a 2002 vtec, d17a2 on the block, the car its going into is a 2002 ex, we have voltage at all the coils, continuity is all the same when probing the ground wire, good white spark with a new plug, and we have volts on the third wire that plugs into the coil when firing. It wasnt a good color spark with one of the old plugs. All plugs from the harness are plugged in (and we didnt have to modify any on the motor to work with our harness), no check engine light when cranking. I unplugged the front o2 to see if it would throw a code, it did. I had a concern about old gasket material from the ex manifold gasket, possibly holding an exhaust valve open, causing a possible compression loss.
I came across a thread on some forum, about a civic this gen, the guy had spark, had fuel (he never checked pressure but had fuel), wasnt throwing a code and it ended up being a faulty Crank position sensor. Our crank pulley was fairly rusty, one of our many ideas is it may be the CKP sensor having dirt and rust around where the sensor picks up.
It makes a different noise when cranking with out the coils hooked up, when the coils are hooked up it seems like its barely trying to fire. Another thing the motor sat for a while, and was slightly hard to turn at first, the guy at the junk yard did it. Hind sight, I wish I told him to stop, and I could have sprayed some penetrate in the cylinders to remove any corrosion. Odds of the compression being wiped out by any corrosion seem slim to me.

Last edited by chevy power; 03-28-2012 at 04:39 PM.