7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are the benefits of a performance chip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saint22 is an unknown quantity at this point
What are the benefits of a performance chip?

Hey I just got a 05 civic and was looking around on ebay for stuff to possibly buy for it. I came across some performance chips and didn't know very much about them and was wondering if someone could tell be about them?
Old 03-07-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the benefits of a performance chip?

ebay "performance chips" are just resistors that plug into the air intake temperature sensor.. It tricks your ecu into thinking colder (i.e. denser) air is entering your engine, forcing more fuel to go in.. or some stupid thing like that..

cliff's notes: waste of money. don't bother.
Old 03-07-2012
Registered!!

saint22 is an unknown quantity at this point

So if I ever wanted to get a real performance chip, where would I get it?
Old 03-07-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

a "real" performance chip is called the Hondata Kpro. its a tad over $1000

http://www.hondata.com/kpro.html
Old 03-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Just to add to what sleepy said; a "performance chip" or a programmable ECU (K-pro) is only as good as your engine allows it to be.

What I mean is, sure you can squeaze a few more horse power out of our stock d17 motors, but you can not expect to make 300 hp. And doing so may not be that safe. You actually need to have "work" done to the motor in order to see real results.

An exhaust, intake and headers is not what I consider "work". However you will see more of a gain with the kpro then without it if you have these mods. But probably not a $1,000 gain.

Read up on these engines, and you will see what I am talking about.
Old 03-08-2012
Registered!!

lovin the ej1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought a 30 hp chip off ebay just to mess around and see if it actually did anything in my 04 civic you will be suprised
Old 03-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I am pretty sure its doing more harm then good.
Old 03-09-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
I am pretty sure its doing more harm then good.
nah man, he speaks the truth. his butt dyno is saying the vteckk is kicking in harder

...yo

...like 1000hp
Old 03-09-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

ZOMG... 1000hp? o.o
Old 03-09-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovin the ej1
i bought a 30 hp chip off ebay just to mess around and see if it actually did anything in my 04 civic you will be suprised
Hella placebo effect dude..

Dropping a Crower stage 1 cam in my car was only slightly noticeable, so I can't inagine tricking your ecu into thinking colder air is entering can show you anything but shittier gas mileage.
Old 03-09-2012
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

I think the key word for every day is "Faith". It has become increasingly more apparent to me that I and many others will never have the dream cars we have been so serious about for all our lives. It simply cost way to much. And for most of us that price needed superceeds our income potential. But I continue to hold on to the dream and maintain my "Faith" that one day I too can have that dream fulfilled. I have seen so many messages in here about a great many things and have concluded that we all want the same thing. The sickest, most dope ride this side of the Atlantic. But really is it going to happen? With **** like K-Pro costing $1000 and decent suspensions running $900 to $1300, woha! Lets get real here, ****, I've got a mortage, two kids, and a life that shreads every dollar from my pocket leaving me with just enough money every three or four months to buy something that cost less than $300 or $400. I cannot see ever having a new motor or even a staged motor, *** blasting suspension system, or turbo upgrade. Yet, almost every day or at least once a week I log into here, keeping the "Faith". I give props to you cats out there who have what I don't what I truthfully, may never have.
If you got the all mighty green alien on your side then use it to transform your dream into realality. Don't let anyone steer you from the independance, pride, and originality a bad *** ride can offer. If you maintain the vision then run with it untill your content or at least you can't go any further..and when that happens start all over again with some other project.
Myself, I may not have much but I have what I have and I love it. I dont have a Honda because its cheap, or because I can find parts for it easily, I have a Honda because it is the most badass ride on the street when done up just the way I like it. I like knowing my ride is in a line of sick rides. It doesn't look or perform that way now but it will. Keep The "Faith"
Old 03-10-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Nice, 10 years later, I'm still building. On topic, you get a cool decal with every chip purchase. Seriously, this is along the same lines as relocating the MAF sensor. For those guys looking for threat extra 1/10th at the track AND have the goods to back it up. Tricking our D17s out of leaning out the fuel mixture only results in lower mpgs.