7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

How to Wire OEM Fog Lights

Old 03-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New_Genn is an unknown quantity at this point
How to Wire OEM Fog Lights

Hello my friend and i just installed the fog lights into my 2001 Civic EX Coupe but we can't figure out how to turn it on! I know there's a manual for wiring the fog lights to the fuse box but, my friend said there is another way, which is wiring the fog light directly to my headlights. So when I turn on my headlights, the fog lights turn on too. We were trying to figure which wires exactly will connect to the headlights (one of the red wires?? lol) Btw I have HID's too just incase it helps to know that. I'm a complete noob about cars, so I don't know much sorry so please if anyone can help explain how to do the wiring exactly! Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: How to Wire OEM Fog Lights

Fog lights should be able to work independently from the headlights. If you want you can hook them to the headlights but you should tap into the headlights at the switch. You need to use a 12v relay to run the fog lights or else you will fry something. There is a security plug under the dash that has a wire on it that you can use as a trigger for your relay. I forget if it's positive or negative trigger I will have to look when I get home.
Old 03-02-2012
Registered!!

@GolnaT

So you're saying if i want to hook up my fog light to my headlights, I MUST use a 12v relay to run the fog lights or else I might fry something? What exactly is a 12v relay and what does it do? (Sorry i'm new to cars, still learning lol)
Old 03-02-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Correct, you must use a relay. The purpose of a relay is to isolate the current or load from a
Device. Here is a good website that explains there uses and the different kinds.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
Old 03-03-2012
Prelude Owner

The headlight wire is a blue/red wire that is located above the driver kick panel on a plug that is taped to the side of a wiring harness. This wire is going to be your negative trigger for your relay.
Old 03-03-2012
Registered!!

Ok I see thanks. Yeah I think I am going to use the switch and rely instead of doing the other way so I don't blow a fuse. Just curious the switch button goes under the radio, next to the power outlet right? Also a side note, all of suddenly my horn sounds like something stuck in it or something. When I honk on the steering wheel and when I lock my car from my remote it doesn't make clear Normal honk sound anymore. Now it sounds like something blocking it or like a duck now lol. I didn't messed with anything. All I did was removed the front bumper so I could put in the fog light and that's it. Anyone know how to make my horn sound normal again?
Old 03-03-2012
Prelude Owner

I'm not sure where the stock switch goes. Either there or on the left side next to the cruise button but that might be for a sunroof. The spot under the radio is easy to get to so I would use that one. As for your horn I don't know what is wrong with it. It might be starting to be on its way out!