7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

You Infrequent Drivers Out There.....................................

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperMan2012 should not be trustedSuperMan2012 should not be trusted
You Infrequent Drivers Out There.....................................

Let's say you drive about 4,000 miles a year, do you change your engine oil every 6 month, as recommended by the Owner's Manual?
Old 02-17-2012
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road
Re: You Infrequent Drivers Out There.....................................

Holy ****! What?!
Old 02-17-2012
Registered!!

ateens4 is an unknown quantity at this point

you dont like wasting resources do you?
Old 02-17-2012
Registered!!

Prone17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely
Old 02-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Ban!!!!
Old 02-17-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

yea, change ur oil every 6 months if u only do 4k a year.
Old 02-18-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I go a year
Old 02-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What does the owners manual maintenance guide say?

My Buick was getting once a year whether it needed it or not. Maybe 3k/year, but it has no working speedometer or odometer. I go by the color of the oil, and dilution. Don't know what it will get now that it isn't the DD.
My lowrider goes 3 years or more, but it only rolls about a tank of gas per year now. Less than 1000 miles per oil change.
The Harley goes 2-5k. Depends on my mood, the weather I ride in, and the color of the oil.
Nowhere close to needing an oil change on the new Civic yet.
Old 02-18-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
What does the owners manual maintenance guide say?

My Buick was getting once a year whether it needed it or not. Maybe 3k/year, but it has no working speedometer or odometer. I go by the color of the oil, and dilution. Don't know what it will get now that it isn't the DD.
My lowrider goes 3 years or more, but it only rolls about a tank of gas per year now. Less than 1000 miles per oil change.
The Harley goes 2-5k. Depends on my mood, the weather I ride in, and the color of the oil.
Nowhere close to needing an oil change on the new Civic yet.
You trust oil thats been sitting for 3 years? Not worried about moisture? Would you go over 3 years?
Old 02-18-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
You trust oil thats been sitting for 3 years? Not worried about moisture? Would you go over 3 years?
Yeah, I let it go that long.
Change oil after only a couple hundred miles? Naah.

Do you know what happens to moisture in the oil after you run the engine at operating temperature for a while?

Acids I might worry about though.
Old 02-19-2012
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

My grandpa has a 2007 or 2008 Nissan Sentra and since he got it he's put about 3000 km on it. Oil has never been changed..
Old 02-19-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

1). Half these maintenance questions you ask all the time can be answered on google.

2). I told you to buy this book. Oil change is every 3000 miles (4800 km) or every 3 months WHICHEVER COMES FIRST!!

Here ill post some pictures.....................

Name:  02df46c5.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  83.2 KB

Wow, all the maintenance right there? took me less than a minute to flip to the page
Name:  b332ce23.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  144.7 KB

See how thick this book is? You know what that's filled with? It's a little something called a plethora of knowledge.
Name:  cb741ea3.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  44.6 KB

Now lets look at all your posts and see what I find wrong with them.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...003-civic.html
Really? That question is basically impossible to answer. If you are the original owner, you will know how long your car will last (doing the maintenance at the right time, using the best fluids, etc.) If youre not the original owner and you bought a 9 year old car, it's a complete guess. (Unless you have all the service records)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-have-you.html
This one's not too bad of a question to ask. Personally, I dont care what maintenance other people do, because if I follow the owners manual, it will probably have the best results.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...nda-civic.html
The book says every 110,000 miles (176,000 km) or 36 months, whichever comes first.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ths-paint.html
Not a bad question actually. You already bought the car, so whats the difference if someone says its crappy paint or if its good paint. Or is it not your car?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-changed.html
Not a bad question either. Oem should usually always be used. I think they are the best quality.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-similiar.html
First question: Wheelbases and horsepower for these cars is all over the internet. Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Second question: Not a bad question

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...condition.html
I really dont know what youre trying to ask and why that is relevant

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-next-car.html
Shouldve posted in the Off Topic section, classic mistake everyone makes once

Okay, so im not trying to be mean, im trying to point out that youve upset some members by posting and not searching. I see you already have a negative rep, and if you dont want to get banned like lowlife wants you to, you should probably do more reading than posting.

#rant
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

doesn't really matter he post random stupid questions out of spite and will probably never stop till the entire 7th gen page is filled with his banter. he hasn't upset me just really annoyed.
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
doesn't really matter he post random stupid questions out of spite and will probably never stop till the entire 7th gen page is filled with his banter. he hasn't upset me just really annoyed.
Hater!
Old 02-20-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

now, now kids.. Play nice.

I contemplated closing this thread before it gets out of hand, but the subject at hand can be somewhat subjective, to say the least. I mean, we have (the all-knowing ambiguous) "them" telling us 3000-5000 miles/3 months, which ever comes first. Also, we have ezone here who, in his lowrider, goes 3+ years. Judging by other posts of his I've seen, I'm fairly certain he knows what he's doing. Please, ezone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.. lol

That said, play nice you guys. Seriously. And SuperMan, please search before creating threads that can be easily googled and/or found through the forum's search feature.
Old 02-20-2012

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
"them" telling us 3000-5000 miles/3 months, which ever comes first.
Follow the money. Who benefits from giving this advice?

The car makers (many, but not all) have said 7500 miles since at least the late 80's.

Most of us know that many engines start consuming oil later on in life, and the oil needs to be checked frequently.
Look at the number of appliance users that aren't capable of even checking their own oil level, ever. Many of these types NEED the oft-too-frequent oil changes because of this. Also, soccer mom type driving is pretty harsh on oil, and some oils tend to sludge under these conditions.

Look in some of the owners manuals, specifically 7th gens. Some years state 10,000 miles on an oil change.

Also, we have ezone here who, in his lowrider, goes 3+ years. Judging by other posts of his I've seen, I'm fairly certain he knows what he's doing. Please, ezone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.. lol
Yeah, I have no clue what I'm doing. I just stumble through convincingly.

In 3 years, that truck might only roll 600 miles, and all in the summer. It hasn't been a DD in at least a dozen years. There have been occasions that I have pulled it out of storage and driven it on a trip of a few hundred miles without much preparation.

What I do with my oil changes is done at my own discretion. I can't speak for others, or decide what sort of schedule other people should do their maintenances on.

The recommendations printed in the service manuals are sort of "blanket" coverage, so the 99% that follow it will get out of the warranty period without catastrophic failures. Most people aren't qualified to judge oil by anything other than time or mileage.
(In reality, I am not qualified to do that either! But I do it MY way most of the time.)

One would really need a lab for an oil analysis before judging oil service schedules on their own.
Old 02-20-2012
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure ezone and I went over this back and forth less than a month ago. If you have the experience and know-how to judge oil like ezone then go for it. For those people that can't (me) play it on the safe side and change it on a regular basis.
Old 02-21-2012
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
That said, play nice you guys. Seriously. And SuperMan, please search before creating threads that can be easily googled and/or found through the forum's search feature.
Honestly SuperMan, is just Trolling for post. But its good you didnt close this because other ppl besides SuperMan are giving good input.
Old 02-21-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2002ExCivic
Honestly SuperMan, is just Trolling for post. But its good you didnt close this because other ppl besides SuperMan are giving good input.
You're entitled to your (wrong) opinion.

I am watching you.
Old 02-21-2012
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road

Gotta raise your post count to get to the classifieds some how.
Old 02-22-2012
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tipnitty
Gotta raise your post count to get to the classifieds some how.
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

Idc about post count, I rather have positive rep for a bit of post then negative rep for a lot of post.
Old 02-23-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

I'd go a year on 4K for SN grade oil. The engine doesn't give a crap and the additives in oil these days last plenty long. Just check the oil monthly to make sure it isn't getting low.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I let it go that long.
Change oil after only a couple hundred miles? Naah.

Do you know what happens to moisture in the oil after you run the engine at operating temperature for a while?

Acids I might worry about though.
I assume that it would evaporate, but your the professional here lol

I here people say "make sure you change the oil before you store it"

Is that bs?
Old 02-25-2012

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
I assume that it would evaporate, but your the professional here lol

I here people say "make sure you change the oil before you store it"

Is that bs?
Yes, moisture is evaporated off with heat and sufficient time.

IDK if it is BS or not. It would probably be a great idea though.
Don't people also say to change the oil when you take it OUT of storage? Whom do you believe? Why do it twice?

I worry more about the body stuff than mechanical stuff when something is stored.
My own stuff?? I just park it as-is. Then deal with it when I need it to run again.

People ask me what I do to the bike to prep it for winter storage.
My answer:
I put the kickstand down.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

People ask me what I do to the bike to prep it for winter storage.
My answer:
I put the kickstand down.

Priceless.
You get rep.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

lol, good enough. Thanks