7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

When To Change Timing Belt on My 2003 Honda Civic???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperMan2012 should not be trustedSuperMan2012 should not be trusted
When To Change Timing Belt on My 2003 Honda Civic???

My 2003 Honda Civic has 75,000 miles and is about 9 years old. Should I change the timing belt now, or should I wait until it reaches close to 100,000 miles?
Old 02-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When To Change Timing Belt on My 2003 Honda Civic???

7 years/110,000 miles. Whichever comes first.

Are you a gambler?
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

I am a little bit of a gambler, but not too much. It all depends on the risk and the chance of the bad things happening.
Old 02-11-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperMan2012
the chance of the bad things happening.
It is not a question of IF, but a question of WHEN.

When the timing belt lets go, it WILL be expensive.
Easily 3-5X the cost of a timing belt job alone--- depending on just how much damage is done, and there will be a lot of damage.

Are you willing to gamble on the WHEN part of the equation?
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

When was the last time you experienced or heard a Civic's timing belt go before 100,000 miles though while the vehicle is less than 12 yeas old.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

When was the last time you experienced or heard a Civic's timing belt go before 100,000 miles though while the vehicle is less than 12 yeas old.
you came for advice hes giving you advice no one can say how long your timing belt is going to go off, the average is what he stated earlier.

my advice to you is if you are worried that much then go get it done. I was told the oil had just been changed when i bought my car. what did i do? I changed the oil and made sure it was the correct kind. Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2002ExCivic
you came for advice hes giving you advice no one can say how long your timing belt is going to go off, the average is what he stated earlier.

my advice to you is if you are worried that much then go get it done. I was told the oil had just been changed when i bought my car. what did i do? I changed the oil and made sure it was the correct kind. Better safe than sorry.
Yeah, but I don't want to be the guy who does an oil change every 1,000 miles. This mechanic that I called thing I was nuts for wanting to change the timing belt at 75,000 miles.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

I replace my 03 Lx's timing belt at 85,000 miles when it was 7 years old. It looked almost new with VERY little wear. I also replaced the tensioner and that looked absolutely new. Same story with the water pump, couldn't tell the difference between new and old apart from some coolant stains.

I drive in severe weather, (East coast) with extended periods of idling when the remote start warms the car up in the morning. I also regularly rev at least once a week beyond 4K.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

guess there's only one way to find out.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Rodrigo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scooty
I replace my 03 Lx's timing belt at 85,000 miles when it was 7 years old. It looked almost new with VERY little wear. I also replaced the tensioner and that looked absolutely new. Same story with the water pump, couldn't tell the difference between new and old apart from some coolant stains.
I bought a 2005 LX Sedan in December. It had 162,000 miles and was on the original timing belt as well.

Timing belt & tensioner displayed almost no wear. I say "almost" because common sense dictates the TB had to have some wear... but I sure had a hard time seeing it. The belt was dirty, but that's about it. The tensioner and water pump were similarly clean.

Don't get me wrong... I'm still glad I changed it all out. I figure there's a reason my owner's manual says to do it at 110K. I see no advantage to changing it out any earlier than your owner manual indicates.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Better safe then sorry. These are interference engines. If that belt breaks you can take a $300-500 timing belt job and make it a $1000-$1500 job its up to you.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Whatever you end up doing, spend the extra money and get an OEM belt and tentioner from a Honda dealership. I wouldn't trust aftermarket belts to be as durable.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scooty
Whatever you end up doing, spend the extra money and get an OEM belt and tentioner from a Honda dealership. I wouldn't trust aftermarket belts to be as durable.
This. Especially the tensioner.
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

I was very pleased with the quality of an 'OEM' TB kit I bought at NAPA. The new parts appeared identical to the original ones in all respects; right down to the finish of the steel parts and the texturing on the belt.

I think most non-dealership shops in town get their repair parts from NAPA. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

I would not buy critical engine parts such as these at any other auto parts chain.
Old 02-14-2012

Originally Posted by Rodrigo

I think most non-dealership shops in town get their repair parts from NAPA. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
Our shop has been accused of that. Not true here 95% of the time, although there are times we do offer aftermarket stuff (price factory axles some time). Not for something critical like a timing belt job or water pump, it's strictly OEM here.

'OEM' TB kit I bought at NAPA.
I have always wondered if someone uses "OEM" as their brand name. Could be a good marketing ploy.
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

its because the same company that makes honda belts also supplies NAPA it starts with a w i can't think of the name rite know. also the timing belt stretches over time so just because it looks brand new doesn't mean jack. whe i worked for the largest toyota dealer in my state we got most of there parts from NAPA because they got a very nice discount and the owner was a cheap basterd.

Last edited by lowlife9; 02-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Our shop has been accused of that. Not true here 95% of the time, although there are times we do offer aftermarket stuff (price factory axles some time). Not for something critical like a timing belt job or water pump, it's strictly OEM here.

I have always wondered if someone uses "OEM" as their brand name. Could be a good marketing ploy.
I think he meant "OE" not "OEM"

In any case weather they are the same or not, I dont take chances on my motor. If I pay an extra $30 bucks over NAPA stuff and even if it is the same as OEM. It takes the guess work out of everything. I get my "Honda OEM" parts cheap enough. So the extra couple bucks spent is just piece of mind for me.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Well now that I've totally hijacked this poor guy's thread, may as well run with it.
Originally Posted by Rodrigo
I want to clarify: the NAPA stores in my town (we have two) each have a little fleet of trucks they use to run parts to repair shops all over town, all day long. And they're closed on Sunday (which is a pain when I fail to plan ahead). From this I've concluded that the bulk of their revenue surely doesn't come from shade-tree guys like me. So if pros are using NAPA parts to such a great extent, there must be some minimum level of quality there. I also note with interest that Advance, O'Reilly and Auto Zone have no such fleet of trucks in my town.

Not true here 95% of the time, although there are times we do offer aftermarket stuff (price factory axles some time). Not for something critical like a timing belt job or water pump, it's strictly OEM here.

Duly noted. I stand corrected. I'd be glad to take my car to your place, ezone.

I wonder if it's like that LP record my brother ordered back in the 70's from a TV Commercial, "Today's hits by the Original Artists", which turned out to be cover versions of all the songs by a band named "The Original Artists".

Actually, there was a brand name on the box and internal packaging... but I surely can't recall what it was. There was a big sticker applied to the internal package that said, "Genuine OEM replacement part". Maybe it was strictly a marketing thing, which was my belief until I opened it up, but like I said, the new parts were identical to the old ones in every respect.

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
In any case weather they are the same or not, I dont take chances on my motor. If I pay an extra $30 bucks over NAPA stuff and even if it is the same as OEM. It takes the guess work out of everything. I get my "Honda OEM" parts cheap enough. So the extra couple bucks spent is just piece of mind for me.
I'd be glad to by "Genuine Honda" parts for my cars if I could pay anything less than full retail. I'm envious if you're fortunate enough to get discounted parts from a dealership. I can't even get 10% out of these guys here, and I know (perhaps wrongly?) they're discounting to independent shops waaaay deeper than that. If I ask for a price break at NAPA, I get it more often than not.

I'm sure I'll be corected if I'm wrong, but I believe Honda does not actually make timing belts. Nor do they make tensioners, bearings, or most of the other engine parts that go into their cars. They hire a company to make all those parts for them, to Honda specifications.

Now if you're the company that makes "part X" for Honda, are you going to sell them ONLY to Honda? Almost certainly not. That doesn't make good business sense, and you're leaving piles of money on the table. If Honda is paying you $5 for each belt and you're able to get $10 from a parts wholesaler, you're probably going to make twice as many as Honda wants, sell half to them, and sell the other half to wholesalers under your own name. That's the way a global economy works. That's why I can go to NAPA and buy a part that's virtually identical to the one I'm taking off the car.
Old 02-15-2012

Well now that I've totally hijacked this poor guy's thread, may as well run with it.
Ok, fine. LOL

I want to clarify: the NAPA stores in my town (we have two) each have a little fleet of trucks they use to run parts to repair shops all over town, all day long. And they're closed on Sunday (which is a pain when I fail to plan ahead). From this I've concluded that the bulk of their revenue surely doesn't come from shade-tree guys like me. So if pros are using NAPA parts to such a great extent, there must be some minimum level of quality there. I also note with interest that Advance, O'Reilly and Auto Zone have no such fleet of trucks in my town.

Generalizations:
All the parts stores deliver, and they supply all shops, dealer and independent. Some are far more obvious than others. You just can't miss a NAPA truck with the little funky hat on top. The others are lower key, most are small plain white trucks that blend in.
Only the big box stores cater to the DIY. Better stores cater to better shops, hopefully with higher quality parts, but all have Chinese white box available. The bottom of the barrel shops tend to use bottom of the barrel parts.
And really, Autozone even carries AC-Delco parts if you want them.....but most of their clientele only want the absolute cheapest parts possible, so that's mostly what they keep in stock. (I can get AC Delco stuff cheaper from another parts store that isn't open on Sunday.)

Duly noted. I stand corrected. I'd be glad to take my car to your place, ezone.

Thanks. Warn me in advance so I can call in sick. LOL

I wonder if it's like that LP record my brother ordered back in the 70's from a TV Commercial, "Today's hits by the Original Artists", which turned out to be cover versions of all the songs by a band named "The Original Artists".

That was EXACTLY what I was getting at.

Actually, there was a brand name on the box and internal packaging... but I surely can't recall what it was. There was a big sticker applied to the internal package that said, "Genuine OEM replacement part". Maybe it was strictly a marketing thing, which was my belief until I opened it up, but like I said, the new parts were identical to the old ones in every respect.

You can also get OE parts that have been reboxed, I have seen it many times. You just can't know that ahead of time, and the parts counterperson isn't going to have any clue if it is or not.

I had a relative get rear struts for an old Mazda 929, they are very unique and low volume, so aftermarket doesn't really make them. He got reboxed original parts from Autozone for far less than I could get them for, and I worked at the dealer.

I see the same things with unique sensors, reboxed OEM on occasion.

I'd be glad to by "Genuine Honda" parts for my cars if I could pay anything less than full retail.

Internet. Majestic sells for real close to 10% over cost. But is the added cost of shipping worth it?

I'm envious if you're fortunate enough to get discounted parts from a dealership. I can't even get 10% out of these guys here, and I know (perhaps wrongly?) they're discounting to independent shops waaaay deeper than that. If I ask for a price break at NAPA, I get it more often than not.

All dealers are free to set their own price structures.

They don't have to adhere to MSRP, but if you already know what MSRP is they may come down to that to make the sale.

Some won't, they would rather not sell at all than make too little profit.

I think they must have figured out how to retire off of percentages instead of real money.

(I sell lemonade for $1,000,000 per glass. I only need to sell one of them and I'm set!)

You probably won't get more discount unless you can prove you work in a shop or a car lot, anything automotive related.

I'm sure I'll be corected if I'm wrong, but I believe Honda does not actually make timing belts. Nor do they make tensioners, bearings, or most of the other engine parts that go into their cars. They hire a company to make all those parts for them, to Honda specifications.

True.
I was going to look at what was on the shelves before I left work today, but I forgot.
Gates, Bando, MitsubOshi are some names I have seen on belts here, and I know Goodyear and Dayco make OE for some other brands of cars. There are more brands and more parts in the same category. There are plenty that don't, too. Many are not labeled at all, but you know someone has to make it.

Now if you're the company that makes "part X" for Honda, are you going to sell them ONLY to Honda? Almost certainly not. That doesn't make good business sense, and you're leaving piles of money on the table. If Honda is paying you $5 for each belt and you're able to get $10 from a parts wholesaler, you're probably going to make twice as many as Honda wants, sell half to them, and sell the other half to wholesalers under your own name. That's the way a global economy works. That's why I can go to NAPA and buy a part that's virtually identical to the one I'm taking off the car.

Yup. Hopefully you can find an actual brand name on both to prove it.

I wonder if NAPA lists the VIN number break for the different tensioners on an 04, or differentiate Japan/US/Canada builds when there are differences.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Ok, fine. LOL.
Fine? NO, it's not fine!
Old 02-15-2012

LOL
I seem to do this.
Sorry.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

lol damn ezone. Well at least hes informative
Old 02-16-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Price some OEM Toyota parts sometime, it will make you appreciate Honda parts prices.

I stick with OEM, have for years.
Old 02-16-2012
Registered!!

Fine? NO, it's not fine!
LOL. You're right. Sorry!

So get that *&^%$# timing belt changed, already!
Old 02-16-2012

Looked on the shelf,
timing belts say Gates and Unitta,
serp belts say Bando and Mitsuboshi.