7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plasmaok is an unknown quantity at this point
rough idle

ok so i took my valve cover off and snugged up the rockers but not to tight i left a small amount of play on all them but not enough to let them chatter to much but when i put the car back together it idles rough it will die like say i rev it to 2k rpm and let off it idles down to about 250 rpm then dies i had the codes cleared that didnt work as i did have to unplug a few things to move the wires out of the way but say above 1500rpms and higher the miss its having completly goes away it pulls fine just doesnt want to idle smoothly its like its got a really bad miss now if i say gently let it idle down to 780 or 900 rpms somewhere in there it will drop to 500 rpms and catch its self and idle back up to normal idle but will still have this miss
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: rough idle

What did you gap them at? Did you even use a feeler gauge?

Did you gap each one when it was on the opposite side of the cam lobe?

If what I am saying sounds like chinese then stop driving your car before you burn up your valves.
Old 02-10-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasmaok
ok so i took my valve cover off and snugged up the rockers but not to tight i left a small amount of play on all them but not enough to let them chatter to much but when i put the car back together it idles rough it will die
Not sure whether to or .
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

oww dam yeah this is not something you do by feel you have to do it by the book.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

i rechecked them at the dealer the guy set them to the proper specs it runs fine my charade had the same kinda setup on it did it by feels worked very well ran quiter and smoother apperntly these honda engines are a little sensitive to that kinda stuff i should have done it by the book but was just trying to quiten them rockers up as it ticked alot and was kinda noisy i could hear them ticking from inside the car next feeler guage and doit by the book not feel lol learned that lesson
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

the other lesson learned dont **** with it if it isnt broke check that one off now
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

hondas are always noisy its just the way they are.
Old 02-11-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
hondas are always noisy its just the way they are.
Even a sewing machine makes a little noise.
Old 02-13-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
probabley has more power to, lol
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure your not low on oil. There is a whole procedure to adjust valves.
Old 02-14-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Is it me or are the injectors WAY louder then the valves?

Its also like that on my S2000, injectors are crazy loud.

At least thats what I think it is.
Old 02-15-2012

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Is it me or are the injectors WAY louder then the valves?
Only when the valves are quiet. Noise from the injectors themselves operating doesn't vary much between the different designs. The injector noise on an S shouldn't be significantly different than the injectors on a Civic.

Its also like that on my S2000, injectors are crazy loud.

At least thats what I think it is.
It should sound like a K motor. Ever run the valves in it? Methinks you may want to.

Last S2K we had that was loud like that had crazy loose valves.
15k, owner bought it over the internet, no history, no inspection before purchase, and it has been crashed. No clue why the valves were all loose, but they were. Adjustment got it sounding like a Honda again.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

I have around 40k on the clock, I havent gotten around to checking them but I will sooner or later. Power seems to be there and no funny idle. It a very distinct tick I hear. Anyway I dont want to hijack the thread lol