7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Advice on a Touring Honda

Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TouringCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice on a Touring Honda

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and i joined specifically just to ask for your expertise. I just purchased my second Honda a 2001 4dr civic regular engine (dont know what type, not really my thing) and i would like some advice on what to use to make my honda a touring car.

See I am not into the whole race scene and fast engines but i do enjoy rode trips and distance driving with the wife and friends. so then main things i want to improve on in the car is:

Comfort
Handling
Efficiency
Capability

Here's what i have in mind so far.

New suspension
Lower A bit
Support the frame
Rims and All Season tires
Lip (something that helps displace air)
Window trims (rain/sun guards)
Navigation system(a must)
one of those storage roof things

I also what it to look slick so any suggestions for the above or things i may have missed would be greatly appreciated being most of you know more about these things then i do.

Links and pics would be great also.

Thank you.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Gearhead 1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Advice on a Touring Honda

Well touring, I want to just start off with a simple question of whether an Acura TSX or the TL will be the better option for what it is that you're wanting to do. My 2 cents worth of advice is that there are so many options and so many different opinions and preferences of the parts available that it might cost more for you to figure out what you really like for a "family trip" car. Forgive me if I have misinterpreted your objective of building a touring car as a "family trip" car. Personally, I am in the same boat as you but I think that my best option for my objective (after lots of questions and reading on this forum) is to buy Koni Blues or Yellows with Tein S Tech springs, an RSX rear sway bar and just a CAI. With that being said, I've looked into a TSX and TL for my wife's "mommy" mobile. My opinion is that while I LOVE my civic, the TSX and TL has all the creature comforts that my wife demands while I get the satisfaction of keeping a "Honda" family. I wish you luck on building your perfect touring car.
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

@Gearhead 1978- Thanks for the advice and although i fully agree with you that an acura tl is better equip of the bat to be a touring car. But that isnt an option for me. I should have gone into more detail with my situation to help explain what i want.

I am recently married as in 3 months in the hole lol and we dont plan on having any little guys for atleast a couple years. My budget is short on a new car cause we are saving for a house we currently live in a basement apartment, so all i could afford was my honda.

now i used to own a 2010 VW Rabbit which was a great car the handling was just amazing but my insurance gave me the shaft and i had to give the car to my sister, year and half past and now i got a honda again.

I noticed a few things i want to improve on to make the honda a more comfortable ride because me and the wife like to go on road trips now again.

so i will look into the suspension you suggested cause the car feels loose when i drive it and the strut bars may help with this.
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

One more Question whats a CAI like i said im not that car inclined.

ok cold air intake ya i got it now

Last edited by TouringCivic; 01-31-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: idiotocy wore off
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

Gearhead 1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude I would seriously read and do research before you add any components to your suspension. If anything I would suggest that you research on the anti-sway bars (front and rear) upgrades for you 2001. BTW is your Honda an EX, DX, or LX. It makes a difference on whether you have a rear anti-sway bar.
Old 02-01-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Gearhead 1978
Dude I would seriously read and do research before you add any components to your suspension. If anything I would suggest that you research on the anti-sway bars (front and rear) upgrades for you 2001. BTW is your Honda an EX, DX, or LX. It makes a difference on whether you have a rear anti-sway bar.
It doesnt say what model it is and it didnt come with a manual. all i can tell you is its SOHC and it has power everything except the cloth seats i dont know if that helps. but all i know is it handles like **** and i am doing research along with asking you guys what i can do to improve this.
Old 02-01-2012
Registered!!

i looked around and the Tein S. Tech springs seem legit and reliable, they also work on the stock shocks. the Koni's are pretty pricy and i dont think i wanna bother with those ill just switch out the shocks with newer ones i think these are worn and ill consider the Tein springs. as for as the sway bars the only one i can find was made by Eibach and im worried bout these cause i read that adding sway bars can either improve or destroy your cars handling. its risky. so i might just try the springs first and see if that improves it i dont wanna go over the top with suspension, its a SOHC not DOHC so it isnt worth putting in the money too much i will ride this till it dies and possible consider an engine swap.
Old 02-01-2012
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Tokico Blues, not Koni Blues. Koni makes Yellows.

The tokicos are cheaper then the yellows, and perfect for your application. They are a direct bolt on replacement to the cars existing suspension, plus they are much more durable then stock. Stock struts have a tendency to blow after being lowered with aftermarket lowering springs. Tokicos can handle it.

As for the trim level. Does your car have v-tec?
Old 02-01-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Shift-E
Tokico Blues, not Koni Blues. Koni makes Yellows.

The tokicos are cheaper then the yellows, and perfect for your application. They are a direct bolt on replacement to the cars existing suspension, plus they are much more durable then stock. Stock struts have a tendency to blow after being lowered with aftermarket lowering springs. Tokicos can handle it.

As for the trim level. Does your car have v-tec?
tokicos ok got it ill look into those and as for the v-tec shamefully i dont know man how do i find out it doesnt say V-tec anywhere under the hood so i doubt it.
Old 02-01-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

If u are on a budget then don't get a CAI. That would be counter productIve because it is louder and it costs quite a bit of money. And you really don't gain any power from it

If you wanted touring civic I would suggest working on the suspension. The general rule is every time you lower* the car you're going to make it stiff* because lowering* is generally geared towards handling*. And that's not exactly what you want a touring car. you don't want to be stiff because* makes long road trips hard

if you lower I would suggest using tokico blues and Tein and H tech. The H techs is designed for a ride comfort and it lowers your car just a little bit but ride comfort* being the main goal (h.techs)

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 02-02-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2012
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

^Sl33py, Edit that **** yo
Old 02-02-2012
0_0?

slowasfnck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
If u are on a budget then don't get a CAI. That would be counter productIve because it is louder and it costs quite a bit of money. And you really don't gain any power from it

If you wanted touring civic I would suggest working on the suspension. The general rule is every time you Laurier car you're going to make it stick because Loring is generally cured towards performance. And that's not what you want a touring car. you don't wanted to be stiff and makes long road trips hard

if you lower I would suggest using tokico blues and Tein and H tech. The H text is designed for a ride comfort and to lower your car it's just a little bit but Ricon for being the main feature
Having a little trouble understanding this.
Old 02-02-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Sorry. Typing on iPhone. Stupid autocorrect
Old 02-02-2012

Ok I re did post 10. Read again. Lol
Old 02-03-2012
Registered!!

If you wanted touring civic I would suggest working on the suspension. The general rule is every time you lower* the car you're going to make it stiff* because lowering* is generally geared towards handling*. And that's not exactly what you want a touring car. you don't want to be stiff because* makes long road trips hard

if you lower I would suggest using tokico blues and Tein and H tech. The H techs is designed for a ride comfort and it lowers your car just a little bit but ride comfort* being the main goal (h.techs)
Ya i dont think ill get a CAI cause a friend of a friend had to change his engine from all the water he sucked up on a rainy day. Tokico blues seems to be the way to go then ill look into those.

Thanks for the advice guys i appreciate the education theres only so much i can read about online about suspension im glad i have a point in the right direction now.
Old 02-03-2012

Originally Posted by TouringCivic
Tokico blues seems to be the way to go then ill look into those.
if u choose them, an advise (very important) ill give you is get it from an authorized retailer...meaning, dont buy them used, and DONT buy them from ebay.

get them from a site like autoanything.com (or amazon). its lifetime warranty ONLY if u buy it form an authorized retailer. its worth to spend the few extra bucks to have that assurance.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

if u choose them, an advise (very important) ill give you is get it from an authorized retailer...meaning, dont buy them used, and DONT buy them from ebay.

get them from a site like autoanything.com (or amazon). its lifetime warranty ONLY if u buy it form an authorized retailer. its worth to spend the few extra bucks to have that assurance.
Makes sense bud i would definitely feel better with a warranty. Thanks for the advice