7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Member input is required

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012
A scene before your eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balzdpr is on a distinguished road
Member input is required

I need a new rad cap for a stock rad. I can choose between four brand names or just go with a stock replacemant. Im interested in information regarding which cap is best replacement. Should I go with a GReddy, BuddyClub, Skunk2, Apexi, or stock replacement? If you all have any better suggestions let me know so I can consider them. Again this is a replacement of the cap only on a stock rad for the 7th gen civic of course.
Old 01-26-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Member input is required

I would use oem.
Old 01-26-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

oem.
Old 01-26-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

OEM is best, but for an aftermarket brand, I'd throw on a J's Racing or Cusco.
Old 01-30-2012
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

Something to think about.

OEM is a 1.3 bar If i remember correctly.

Most aftermarket ones are 1.4-1.8 bar. Great for keeping the car at a cooler temp due to the fact they hold more preassure and bleaad of less.....But

If you still have an OEM plastic rdiator it can cause it to get hotter and the extra pressure can cause it to crack and leak at the seams. If you have a full aftermarket alum rad then go for the high bar but if not stick to OEM or you will be replacing your radiator just to have a cool cap.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

As mentioned above..OEM is best.

Dont buy one from the autoparts store. They are generic and even if you do find the right rating for your car they are crap.
I have seen many not hold any pressure after a few months.
Old 01-31-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Another vote for OEM
Old 01-31-2012
A scene before your eyes

Great. This is the answear to the question I was looking for. I should have asked the question more precisly and with more content. Then the others could have got back to me with the same info. Props to the crew and thanks again. I will soon be intersted in new rad as this cap is the first part of a HONDAneer's attempt at fixing the phantom spray issues I have been having.
Originally Posted by CrewChief
Something to think about.

OEM is a 1.3 bar If i remember correctly.

Most aftermarket ones are 1.4-1.8 bar. Great for keeping the car at a cooler temp due to the fact they hold more preassure and bleaad of less.....But

If you still have an OEM plastic rdiator it can cause it to get hotter and the extra pressure can cause it to crack and leak at the seams. If you have a full aftermarket alum rad then go for the high bar but if not stick to OEM or you will be replacing your radiator just to have a cool cap.
Old 01-31-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oem
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Balzdpr
Great. This is the answear to the question I was looking for. I should have asked the question more precisly and with more content. Then the others could have got back to me with the same info. Props to the crew and thanks again. I will soon be intersted in new rad as this cap is the first part of a HONDAneer's attempt at fixing the phantom spray issues I have been having.
Are your hoses getting hard (pressurized)? If they are not this could very well likely be your problem. If they are then I would look for your problem elsewhere.
Old 02-02-2012
A scene before your eyes

when should I be checking for pressure in the hoses, shortly after I start the car or after a long run in the car? This issue doesnt occure all the time. But enough that it has me worried. If I could afford it I would just swap the whole cooling system for new but of course that is not possible. so bare with me as I pick you'alls brain.
Old 02-02-2012
Remebers the old days

CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

When the car is at reg operating temp while running you should still be able to squeeze the hose a little but when you shut it off it should get hard as a rock. Get the car hot and after you shut it off look under the hood and smell around if there is a small leak it will start misting from that leak and you will smell the coolant in the air......PLEASE WEAR GLASSES.
Old 02-03-2012
A scene before your eyes

Ill try this.
Old 02-03-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

the bar rating on my OEM cap says 1.1

same with my sister's 03 civic
Old 02-03-2012
Remebers the old days

^ your right. I had to pull a stock out of the junk box to see. lol. I have a 3 core alum rad. with a 1.6 bar. I couldnt remember what the stock one was its been so long.
Old 02-07-2012
A scene before your eyes

I tried the pressure test:

No steam visable.

Pressure on the lines was high but the lines where slightly pliable, they had a little bit of give.

There was a ferocious hissing sound near the upper hose could have been from the reserve tank or rad unsure as I saw no steam.

Any Ideas?
Old 02-07-2012
Remebers the old days

If you had a hissing sound coming from the upper hose is sounds like your cap is leaking pressure. I would replace the cap and see if that fixes your problems. I had a bad cap that was pressurizing back in to the resevoir bottle and causing it to bubble over and blow coolant all over the engine bay. Not sure if thats what is happening to you but good luck.
Old 02-07-2012
A scene before your eyes

If you had a hissing sound coming from the upper hose is sounds like your cap is leaking pressure. I would replace the cap and see if that fixes your problems. I had a bad cap that was pressurizing back in to the resevoir bottle and causing it to bubble over and blow coolant all over the engine bay. Not sure if thats what is happening to you but good luck.
What you say happened is what I have been commenting on in here for some time now. Im sure the cap replcement is best, should i go with oem on an oem rad?
Old 02-07-2012
A scene before your eyes

will change that out should go with oem on oem rad, yes?
Old 02-07-2012
Remebers the old days

Yes.
Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

Miscreant13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone vote for OEM??
Old 02-07-2012
Remebers the old days

You sir did not read past the first post......and Fail.
Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

Miscreant13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sarcasm happans to be my middle name...

Last edited by Miscreant13; 02-07-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Balzdpr
I tried the pressure test:

No steam visable.

Pressure on the lines was high but the lines where slightly pliable, they had a little bit of give.

There was a ferocious hissing sound near the upper hose could have been from the reserve tank or rad unsure as I saw no steam.

Any Ideas?
It wasnt coming from the reserve tank. The reserve tank is NOT pressurized. Your radiator cap is more then likely bad.
Old 02-08-2012
Remebers the old days

Originally Posted by Miscreant13
Sarcasm happans to be my middle name...

I see what you did there........I like it. lol
Old 02-12-2012
A scene before your eyes

oh ok, to all of you, Thanks.