7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

So I got horrible news today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thall8 is an unknown quantity at this point
So I got horrible news today...

Driving down the road, and i start hearing a god awful sound and the car dies. I pull over, and start it back up to hear a constant knock. checked my oil, and was down to just over a quart. (oil light NEVER did come on) So i take it to my buddy, (he's a mechanic) where he confirms my worst fears that it's a rod. So i'm now left with a few choices. Option 1) cry, drench the car in gasoline, get completely wasted and set it on fire. 2) Buy a used D17 and swap it in, est. costs including labor 1kish. 3) Rebuild the motor using forged parts. 4) Swap

Swapping is going to cost an arm and a leg, and i only have about 2k, so that's probably a no go. After much thought, i need the car, can't set it on fire. So that leaves me with options 2 and 3. I found forged pistons for 449 at procivic, and rods for 399 at dezod. I'd like a mls head gasket, but can't find one for stock bore. The block guard on dezod looks like a worthwhile investment too, for the one glorious day i finally go boost. Is there anything i'm leaving out? I've never rebuilt a motor, so i don't know if i need to buy anything else such as gaskets or seals etc. All help is appreciated!
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: So I got horrible news today...

Re-build is fine but, you have to crack it open and see if you can even rebuild it before you make that decision. I'd say it's time for a stage-1 cam also.
Old 01-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P228 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think option 2 would be the cheapest since D17 motors aren't that inexpensive however, I don't know how much labor would be.............. Should be anywhere around 1000ish altogether like you've mentioned.

And stage 1 cams dont fit in the A1 motors unfortunately
Old 01-11-2012
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Not sure where you live but junkyards might be able to help you out..if not then i would just go with option 2..However i do not have a lot of experience with rebuilds either..