7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Electrical / Alternator Issue '05 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waldenp is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrical / Alternator Issue '05 Civic Si

Three weeks ago my car lost cruise control, power streering, speedo, and gained a check engine and battery charge light. I replaced the alternator and battery. The car ran perfectly for three weeks, until last night. The same things popped up but then the ABS light appeared, ebrake light, maint req, seat belt light then the car quickly lost all gauges, lights, and electrical components. The car died and the new alternator and battery are dead. Any thought? Could this have been a defective alternator, or a more serious electrical problem? I appreciate any help.
Old 01-06-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Electrical / Alternator Issue '05 Civic Si

It sounds like you have a more serious electrical problem. You could have got a defective alternator and I would start with that since it should still be under warranty. Try scanning the car to see if there are any codes also.
Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

I would start with the alternator too, the reman alternators from parts stores aren't that great anymore. I had a Duralast from AZ last about 500 miles.
Old 01-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

2 things:

Sounds like the alternator quit charging for SOME reason, and ran the battery down. Could be wiring, fuse, PCM, belt, or a bad alternator, or something else....
Pony up the coin for a factory alternator or put up with cheapzone problems. The cars don't seem to like cheapo remans at all.

If someone didn't get the ALTERNATOR BOLTS TIGHT it can cause other damage.
Loss of alternator grounding can cause system overvoltage problems, and electronics don't handle that very well.
Old 01-07-2012
Registered!!

SpdySylvrEX will become famous soon enough

also what could have happened is when your initial alt died, it took the battery with it...Then when you put the new alt in, it was working so hard to keep the battery running it fried itself out again, has happened to me before...
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

kal1fornia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SpdySylvrEX
also what could have happened is when your initial alt died, it took the battery with it...Then when you put the new alt in, it was working so hard to keep the battery running it fried itself out again, has happened to me before...
he said he replaced the battery though so that couldn't be it