7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TCI Trans Rebuilt Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zman4011 is an unknown quantity at this point
TCI Trans Rebuilt Kit

I'm trying to find the TCI Master racing Overhaul Kit (Part # 559100) to rebuild the trans in my 2001 Honda Civic EX Auto........ but TCI no longer makes it and I can't find another place that has any in stock. JEGS "claims" to have some coming in but I can't wait that long and they're 50% more expensive than they should be. Any other suggestions on rebuild kits? My trans shop want to use Transtar stuff.......but I can't find much info about them. I don't want to go through this again.... so I want to make sure I have the right parts. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough
Re: TCI Trans Rebuilt Kit

tciauto.com seems to have them for $255 with free ground shipping, you can get it shipped overnight if you need it in a hurry. You'd have to call them to make sure it's in stock.

I also found it on northernautoparts.com but again I'd call to make sure they actually have it in stock.
Old 11-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/civic-mast...kit-01-02.html
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

I used mako transmission parts it has been a ok for 15k miles now. I did it my self. Transtar is what you get from NAPA. I put a new tourqe convertor in it too. Don't remember who it was from though. Found it online, but it was in stock at a Trans shop 40 miles from me, so I just went and picked it up. I got all parts plus the assembly lubricant and a new filter(wasn't in the kit) for under 200 shipped to my door. Let me look up my old post and get the links for you.

You can put a race kit in it if you want, but the problems with the trans are the hard parts and defective convertors, the honda 2nd clutches had a defect where they came apart. PLUS the fact that the filter stops up easily. I don't think that the "race" kit is necessary unless you have a need for it. My sister got 142k on mine before the trans went out and I bought it and fixed it. I know that is nowhere close to the norm on these trans, but the insides of mine really wasn't that bad save the 2nd gear clutches and the filter was stopped up beyond compare from used clutch material.
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Old thread, sift through it, it is there
Old 11-22-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the only reason i recommend the race kit is it comes with all new red eagle performance clutches. napa is usually pretty good, but idk. i wouldnt want to go with stock parts on such a problem trans thats not even able to handle 90hp. i guess if the tci kit is not sold anymore, i would go with the napa parts. im trying to put this off as much as possible, but one day i will have to deal with a rebuild or sell the car before it happens. if i keep it, i dont think i would use regular parts for the rebuild.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

I don't think the problems is the quality of replacement parts with rebuilds. I am not cutting down anyone specific, but the problem is if x trans shop pays y tech 9 bucks an hour to rebuild your trans, they ARE NOT gonna attract quality techs, end of story. I have had my trans apart, I am meticulous, and this trans was by far the most confusing trans I have ever had apart. If it wasn't for a good tech manual and pictures there is no way I would have gotten it back together right. I am super organized and like I said meticulous too. Most tranny techs are not in the least organized. This is not a trans that "oh that has to go here", it is not an easy to assemble transmission. It is a maze of different valve bodies, orings, and tubes (11 or 12 of them). In short, shop around and find a qaulity shop. See if they are even open to using your parts, some shops aren't. Most of them will use your supplier, but would rather source parts themselves. In my experience (in multiple shops) no offense, but most customers that wanted to supply their own parts didn't have the half of what they needed.
Old 11-23-2011
Premium Member

yeah i agree. finding the right shop is everything. ive known people that had terrible experiences with rebuilds even from reputable big name shops. the trans would break every few months, and it came with a 2 yr warranty. it was like some kid threw it back together. i dont understand why a rebuild wouldnt be able to last at least 100k if done properly. i guess thats the problem, not many people know how to do it.