7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

How to tighten the throttle cable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
How to tighten the throttle cable?

I found the DIY on here

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...tle-cable.html

But is that under the car?

A friend of mine said that the throttle cable can also be tightened under the hood by the throttle body, is that true? If so can someone tell me where exactly and how?

What do i need? Hoping i can do it myself tommorow.
Old 11-19-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How to tighten the throttle cable?

I'm unfamiliar with the 7th gen layout, but the throttle cable should be under the hood....the process is pretty straightforward. You need an open-end wrench. I don't remember the size, but I had to do it to my car. It only took a few minutes. Just make sure you don't overdo it. You can overtighten it and have a partially open throttle at all times, or on the other end of the spectrum have a very noresponsive throttle. Just follow directions and you should be fine. There IS a deflection spec, but I don't know what it would be for your generation of Civic. If you are unfamiliar with your bay, now is a good time to get acquainted. The cable should be around the area where the throttle body is. You can't miss it.
Old 11-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think the play is 1/2 inch and its not a deflection, its play. basically how much the cable moves when you step on the gas before it moves the throttle lever.
Old 11-19-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by MelJ
I'm unfamiliar with the 7th gen layout, but the throttle cable should be under the hood....the process is pretty straightforward. You need an open-end wrench. I don't remember the size, but I had to do it to my car. It only took a few minutes. Just make sure you don't overdo it. You can overtighten it and have a partially open throttle at all times, or on the other end of the spectrum have a very noresponsive throttle. Just follow directions and you should be fine. There IS a deflection spec, but I don't know what it would be for your generation of Civic. If you are unfamiliar with your bay, now is a good time to get acquainted. The cable should be around the area where the throttle body is. You can't miss it.
The throttle body is inside the air filter box right? When i take the air filter out i see a the silver hole which i was told is the throttle body.

Right now i notice i have to literally hit the pedal to the floor just to accelerate decently so i want to get rid of the slack.

Hey GB, i found this from one of your posts.

Can you tell me where this cable is to adjust? You had pics in this link but they weren showing up

Now here's a shot of the throttle cable. The blue box shows you the correct cable to adjust. Basically there is a holder in the middle and a nut on each side. First you need to loosen the right side nut so the cable assembly can be taken out of the holder. Once free, look for the nut that was on the left (sorta hiding in this pic) and turn it so that when you put the assembly back in the holder, it should make the cable tighter. In my pic, the left adjusting nut is almost to the edge to make it tight enough. Yours WILL be different. Just make sure there's enough slack that the metal throttle lever is in resting position. The manual recommends 0.5 inches of slack when you push the cable before the TB will start to move the lever. Once the adjustment is made, put the throttle assembly back onto the holder and tighten the right side nut. Go for a drive and make sure everything is fine.
Old 11-19-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just have someone press the gas with the car off while you are looking into the engine bay near the intake. whichever cable moves is the throttle cable. its connected to the metal lever. cruise cable is connected to the black plastic lever.
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by gearbox
just have someone press the gas with the car off while you are looking into the engine bay near the intake. whichever cable moves is the throttle cable. its connected to the metal lever. cruise cable is connected to the black plastic lever.
Oh, hmm dont know anyone who could help me out. So the cable is on the left (passenger side) of the hood?
Old 11-20-2011
Registered!!

CIVIC CITY is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: How to tighten the throttle cable?

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Oh, hmm dont know anyone who could help me out. So the cable is on the left (passenger side) of the hood?
hello,dunno nothing about that wish i cud help but do maybe know my issue if u look @ my post
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by CIVIC CITY
hello,dunno nothing about that wish i cud help but do maybe know my issue if u look @ my post
Sorry the CEL isnt showing up?
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

Heres my hood. So is it one of the cables hooked up to the silver box with the white sticker "EB" in the upper left corner?

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-20-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

The thing with the EB sticker is not your throttle body, looks to be the cruise control module.

You need to remove the airbox entirely to really get to the throttle body. (There's a screw on the right side of it, from the view of your picture, holding it to the rest of the intake... the left side, if you're standing in front of the car looking at it. There's also a collar underneath the airbox at the base of it, you'll need like an 8mm or 10mm socket to loosen the collar to allow you to pull the airbox off... well, you should loosen that collar, but you can just yank really hard on the airbox and wiggle it, and it'll free itself.)
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by green01civic
The thing with the EB sticker is not your throttle body, looks to be the cruise control module.

You need to remove the airbox entirely to really get to the throttle body. (There's a screw on the right side of it, from the view of your picture, holding it to the rest of the intake... the left side, if you're standing in front of the car looking at it. There's also a collar underneath the airbox at the base of it, you'll need like an 8mm or 10mm socket to loosen the collar to allow you to pull the airbox off... well, you should loosen that collar, but you can just yank really hard on the airbox and wiggle it, and it'll free itself.)
thats what i thought so take the airbox off completely and the throttle cable will be connected to the back of the TB?

Ya cause i kept looking at this pic and couldnt figure out where it was. Its too vague.

Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

hey i got my hood open, looking at the left side of the airbox and cant see any screw there to remove. Do I absolutely need to take the air box off just to adjust the throttle cable? Where is this screw exactly?

And when i get it off i probably wont want to yank on it to get the collar off cause im sure it has to go back on the collar after right? So im hoping i can move the airbox enough to get enough room to see the throttel cable.

plz help!
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

is it any of these cables?

I really wanna do this today if i can, im getting really frustrated just trying to find this damn cable.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-20-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

Just did it, what a pain in the *** it was!!! Took me ratherl ong time, but being outside in -20 weather didnt help either. It was hard cause the bolts were literally glued and took a while with the wrenches to get lose. I pulled the cable and there was about 1" deflection! so i moved the left nut to the left a bit and closed the gap and tightened the other bolt.
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

I was wondering if i need a new throttle cable. Cause i tightend up the slack on it (did some experimenting on 4 diff settings) and notice that the RPMs dont go up at all, no difference. And i know im doing it in the right direction cause i tried going the opposite way all the way to the end and the gas pedal was lose as hell. Scared me for a sec.

The thing is, when i tighten it, i still have about 3/4" slack in it when i check for the deflection.

Unless im not checking for the deflection properly. How exactly doyou check for 1/2" deflection? Can i do it with the cable already in and tightened?

What arent my RPMs going up? Anyone?

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member

why would they? the throttle body is still closed until you press the gas. this mod is to lessen the pedal travel before opening the throttle.
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

why would they? the throttle body is still closed until you press the gas. this mod is to lessen the pedal travel before opening the throttle.
but how are some people (whos done it) getting higher RPMs?

This is the cable ive been adjusting

What is the proper way to check for the cable slack deflection? and the 2 bolts on the left of the cable by the bracket ive been adjusting to the left.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 11-20-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member

you dont check deflection, you check play. grab the exposed cable and move it right/left. the amount of slack in the cable before the throttle lever moves is the amount of play. should be around 1/2 inch (manual says 3/4 i think). the rpms only go up if you tighten it too much and the throttle plate is always open.
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

you dont check deflection, you check play. grab the exposed cable and move it right/left. the amount of slack in the cable before the throttle lever moves is the amount of play. should be around 1/2 inch (manual says 3/4 i think). the rpms only go up if you tighten it too much and the throttle plate is always open.
the throttle lever is on the left of the thin grey wire right? Is it that silver round piece that has both the idle and throttle cables wrapped around and it turns when you hit the gas?

Cause when i pulled the throttle cable i would pull from the thick cable on the right and actually didnt pay attn to anything left of the thin cable.
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

Is this the lever right here? Sorry pic is sideways

Can you do me a fav and check in your car right now and see if your cable is sitting off like in mine? Should it be on the metal lever ledge?

Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member

the lever is the L shaped metal part next to your arrow. it has a small gap before it actually pulls open the throttle plate.
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

the lever is the L shaped metal part next to your arrow. it has a small gap before it actually pulls open the throttle plate.
oh ok, does the cable in your car sit under the metal ledge like in my pic or does it sit on it?

Sorry stupid me i forgot how it was before i adjusted the nuts.
Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member

it only sits one way with the cable tight, under the metal.
Old 11-20-2011
I am Epic

it only sits one way with the cable tight, under the metal.
so the cable should be touching firm against the bottom of that ledge in my pic or just under like how i have it now? does it look correct in my pic?

Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member

yeah that looks fine.
Old 11-21-2011
I am Epic

yeah that looks fine.
Thats what i thought.

Im wondering if The cable and get scretched over time and need replacement. Do they normally need to be replaced?

I compare the deflection in this throttle cable to the idle cable below and the idle cable at stock setting is noticably tighter with less deflection.

Slack right now i have about 3/8"
Old 11-21-2011
Premium Member

its a metal cable so no, it wont stretch. there is no idle cable either. there is one throttle cable and one cruise control actuator cable.