7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Signs of a clutch going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gangulyarchan is an unknown quantity at this point
Signs of a clutch going bad?

Maybe I am being too paranoid but my mechanic (a guy I trust and he is really good & experienced with Honda's) drove my car around a bit after getting the warped rotors and brakes out. He said the clutch engaged a lot higher than it should and may go out some time in the future.
I have had this car (2003 Civic sedan EX) for more than 2 years now and have put about 28k on it. It has 153k right now. I do not feel the clutch is going bad since it always engaged where it engages now and has never slipped on my till date.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me some early signs of a clutch going bad and how much money it would take to fix one (I am near Columbus, OH). He said it might be close to $700
Old 11-14-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Signs of a clutch going bad?

A telltale sign of a clutch going would be slipping during acceleration. As your clutch material wears, it will engage at a higher spot during pedal travel.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

700 is a bit high

u could get a nice heavy duty street clutch from ACT for like 300 and install it yourself. its not too hard. theirs some real detailed diys on here.
or a regular oem replacement is about 100-150.

but if it has engaged in the same spot for a long time your probly good. your mechanic might just be used to a real tight clutch. i drove my friends celica the other day and his clutch engages like right at the bottom, still shifts fine and all but it seems like most hondas ive driven the clutch engaged about half way up
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

@MelJ - Thanks...I still haven't had any slippage and it doesn't seem to engaging any higher than what it used to...so I am hoping for the best.

@pwnsause - Even I thought 700 was a bit too much...since the OEM clutch is not that expensive...my clutch engages right where you mentioned, half way through the pedal action and it has been the same since I got it...can you give me a link for the DIY...I could not find one on here....thanks for your suggestions.
Old 11-15-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

every car (even the same civic) will not have an exact engagement/disengagement distance... ur mech should know that. im calling him out.

especially when the fluid in ur line gets old and water gets in...it will totally change ur engagement/disengagement from lets say if u had just put NEW fluid in there.

and as melj said, its whether if ur clutch starts slipping in the when you start accelerating.
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

@ sl33pyriceboi: I drained and refilled the clutch fluid about 8-9 months back and the clutch behaves the same.
You are absolutely right. He should know that every car has a different engagement distance and with him asking $700 for the clutch repair job even I am having second thoughts as to what he is trying to do.
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

Test your clutch. If it hasn't been abused by previous owners and yourself, it can keep going for a while.

Get up to 15mph, and put it in 5th. Floor it. If the RPMs go up and your speed doesn't, its slipping.

Another test, with the handbrake up and on the brakes, put it in 5th and pop the clutch. The engine should stall immediately, not gradually.
Old 11-16-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard 3rd gear is best? Maybe because of direct drive? I know the ratio isn't perfect, but this is what I've heard. Although if it's slipping in top gear, it's friggin' toasted.
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

Maglites94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so mine does that all the time and i know i need to replace it but any suggestions on wat clutch to get its a '93 civic ex
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

sorry for the delay op

heres the diy i was looking at when i thought i needed to replace mine
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...h-install.html

but i would do some searching around at shops and get some other quotes if u dont feel u can handle it. 700 just seems pretty high but then again it depends where u are
Old 11-16-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gangulyarchan
@ sl33pyriceboi: I drained and refilled the clutch fluid about 8-9 months back and the clutch behaves the same.
You are absolutely right. He should know that every car has a different engagement distance and with him asking $700 for the clutch repair job even I am having second thoughts as to what he is trying to do.
i would recommend you buy a cultch kit (like clutch and flywheel). you will be able to select better choices than those a mech will give you.

then just bring it back to him have him install it. labor should be no more/around 200$

most clutch kits are way under 200$
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

@ ac_2007 : Did all the tests you suggested. Put it in 5th and popped the clutch and it stalled immediately. Then drove it up to 15 mph in 5th and floored it...both speed and rpm went up simultaneously. Thanks for the advice.

@ pwnsauce : Thanks for the DIY link.

@ sl33pyriceboi : You are right...I will buy the parts if required and ask him what he will charge for labor. I gave him the parts from Honda when I got the timing belt, water pump and tensioner done....he gave me a good price...so I stuck with him. But I think I will shop around as you say...thanks.
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like your clutch has life left in it. Don't stress too much.

My engagement points are very high throughout the clutch pedal, which made me paranoid on the first couple 7th Gen Civic's I'd driven. Just drive it normally and don't beat on it!
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

Maglites94 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also completed those test in 5th gear at 15mph i florted it and after about a second and a half the rpms jumped to 5000. Can anyone recomend a good cluctch between $200 and $300.
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Get an Exedy clutch from eBay, they're $90 for the clutch kit. If you wanted to replace the flywheel too it'd be another $100 or so, if not have the old flywheel resurfaced. Exedy supplies Honda so it's basically an OEM clutch.