7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2004 Civic EX Cpe, My Honda Story

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cpbennett will become famous soon enough
2004 Civic EX Cpe, My Honda Story

My 2004 Honda Civic EX Cpe:

My Honda journey started in April of 2010. I had just graduated and began my new job as a Mechanical Engineer. I was driving a 1991 Chrysler New Yorker with 190,000 miles. I decided I needed a new (used) car to go with my new career. I immediately turned to Honda and it's legendary reputation.

I found my car at a Honda Dealer in Indiana. At the time, the car had 62,000 miles and needed new tires and brakes (which helped during negotiation). After about 2 hours I signed the paperwork and she was all mine!

First, I drove straight to the local tire shop and dressed her up with a full set of Master Craft LSRs and replaced the front pads. The original pads I put on her were cheap cheap cheap AutoZone pads. I also got on Amazon and ordered a K&N intake filter. Also, I tinted the windows to 15% which was just right. Never got a ticket for the tint and I got the privacy and UV protection that I wanted. I like to keep my car clean, inside and out. Here she is soaking up the sun:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4219.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	82078

She now has 103,000 miles and gets from A to B whenever called upon. At 85,000 she got an Interstate Battery. At 90,000 miles she got a new timing belt, coolant fluid flush, water pump, spark plugs, original rear shoes adjusted, new belts, and a transmission flush. At about 93,000 miles I began to feel a shudder around 40mph. Took it to the Honda Dealer and got a full Tranny and TC flush and had them put OEM Honda ATF and an the Honda additive. She runs beautifully and I got the other shop to pay the dealership for the service (I accused them of not using Honda OEM fluid, they paid very quickly -- I was a bit loud). Only bad thing is the bushing busted on the front seat; rocking back and forth and back and forth and back and fo-- you get the picture.

OIL CHANGE EVERY 3,000-4,000 miles on conventional 5w20. I could probably back off to 5,000-7,000 but I dont want to switch to a synthetic. Besides, when I change the oil at 3,000 I get a chance to look around and check things out. Make sure the tires are good to go and check for leaks. (Never had a problem)

At 100,000 I replaced the front pads again, this time with lifetime pads. At 102,000 I had a headlight go out. I decided not to go with HID after reading about the higher amps burning up wiring harnesses -- put in some Sylvania Xtravision headlights. Tires are still at 40% even after 40,000 miles. Got a letter from the Dealer last week asking me to sell it to them for $7,000, with no purchase necessary (haha). I think I'll stick with her for a while longer.

Name:	IMG_8306.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	82079

Long story short, 36mpg combined CTY/HWY.

The majority of my miles are highway. I drive 60 miles a day round trip for my commute. On the weekend, I take this car EVERYWHERE. I used an iPhone app called "Gas Cubby" and over the last 6 months my stats are as follows:

Avg: 36 MPG
High: 45 MPG
Low: 29 MPG

I usually keep her above half a tank so I dont burn up the fuel pump, but in the picture below you can see she will easily go almost 400 miles on a tank. I took her to 420 miles one time.

Name:	IMG_6072.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	82080

The BEST part about this car...It starts when you turn the key (everytime), it is really a nice car to drive (FUN), and has a low ownership cost. Insurance is cheap. Great MPG. Reliable. Rain or snow, this car handles well. Every morning when I wake up I have no doubt that my car will start. I have no reserve making repairs or investing in higher quality replacement parts because I know the engine can go the distance. Hence, K&N air filter, nice headlights, Interstate Battery, oil change intervals, always washed and waxed, and the tint.

Name:	IMG_8393.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	82081

Very happy with my '04 Civic. After 40,000 miles, during my ownership, the car has only depreciated $1,500 - $1,700. Holds its value and has been very reliable.

My next car, and possibly the car after it, will definitely be a Honda.

If you are shopping for a Honda Civic I would definitely recommend this car. If you are simply a Civic enthusiast I hope you enjoy my story.

Please share your story, I would love to hear about your ownership experience.