7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

check your tire pressures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Re: check your tire pressures!

I thought our cars are 51psi? Higher the number the harder the tire is rigt? Pretty surethats what i had mine at.
Old 11-17-2011
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

You must be ****ing kidding me dude. If you do that crazy **** again im going to have to slap you. Thats the craziest thing I have ever heard. Need to let some air out of your head man.
I cant believe your **** even can run if you make crazy *** mistakes like that. In fact that is so crazy that you must be pulling my ****ing leg. Please never do that for real and if you have or intend to again don't. The manual clearly says that the maximum is not to exceed 32psi and I have one so you cant argue with that.
Old 11-17-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

@Civicnoobie. WTF, man?!?!? Where are you getting those specifications? A few PSI over isn't going to do much. But 50?
Old 11-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
I thought our cars are 51psi? Higher the number the harder the tire is rigt? Pretty surethats what i had mine at.
I think you're reading the max rated tire pressures listed on the tire, as in max before you risk damaging them. I go 34psi front and 38psi rear on my winter tires. Higher on my summer tires, but they have almost no sidewall, so that's a different scenario.
Old 11-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i use higher psi (never above 40, be that very clear - if ye try to inflate yer tires anywhere close to me, C..noobie, i will slap you and run away as fast as i can before it explodes) because i lost 6 psi once when testing my suspension - tire came off the rims slightly and let air out.
be very clear that i do push the car much more than the avg driver and that was in a clean road with lots of visual in front to push the car hard.
poor 185/65... they went outta the rims for a moment and i heard the psh! and there were them low in pressure... i was running 30 fronts...
this is a not-so-hard cornering i was doing - this is using other tires, that don't squish down that much as the oe size.
Name:  P1010037.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  9.8 KB

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-17-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

theres a door sticker that says 30 psi for the car. i dont think ive ever seen a tire that was rated for more than 45psi. usually its around 40 max and that is just the tire spec, not what you should be running in the car. the older miata was so light they only called for 26 psi in the tires.
Old 11-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
if ye try to inflate yer tires anywhere close to me, C..noobie, i will slap you and run away as fast as i can before it explodes)
That made me laugh so hard

Old 11-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ yup
miatas loose traction when running more than 30
PSI. I run 28 and have gobs of grip on it.
Old 11-17-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I tend to run higher pressures than stock because there isn't a lot of air/sidewall between my rim and the road. 30psi would give me about 3/4" of cushion. Not so good for the 19s. Max pressure for my 35 series tires are typically 50psi. Also, the volume of air in my tires are so much less than "normal" 50/60 series tires. It takes less air for me to get to 35psi. Generalizing, the average air loss for 50/60 series tires would equate to 1 or 2 pounds/month. I could lose 1 or 2 pounds a week with the same amount of air loss, so I tend to stay on top of my tire pressures. I lost 15lbs because of a slow leak this week. Couldn't tell because the sidewalls are so stiff.
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Balzdpr
You must be ****ing kidding me dude. If you do that crazy **** again im going to have to slap you. Thats the craziest thing I have ever heard. Need to let some air out of your head man.
I cant believe your **** even can run if you make crazy *** mistakes like that. In fact that is so crazy that you must be pulling my ****ing leg. Please never do that for real and if you have or intend to again don't. The manual clearly says that the maximum is not to exceed 32psi and I have one so you cant argue with that.
Your posts make me
Old 11-18-2011
A scene before your eyes

Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

gangulyarchan is an unknown quantity at this point

Adjusted mine to 32psi last week.

@ Civicnoobie: Check your gauge...you must have read 51 instead of 31....I am amazed how your tires haven't still exploded at 51 psi.
Old 11-18-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe he read the wrong side of the gauge. the other side sometimes has Kpa instead of psi.
Old 11-18-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by MelJ
@Civicnoobie. WTF, man?!?!? Where are you getting those specifications? A few PSI over isn't going to do much. But 50?
I had a somewhat mechanic friend tell me that in the summer.

I went to honda and checked my tire yesterday and they were all at 30psi, these are winter tires that i had mounted just last week so i brought them up to 38psi. Thats what the honda tech said is good for winters in our cars but less for other tires.
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Do you guys still use the stick gauges or have you gone digital?

I'm thinking about getting nitrogen put in my tires, they leak like crazy, more so now that it's cold. Before I bought the tire I read they leaked but 1psi a week is crazy. I run 34 in the front 36 in the rear on AS tires. Mine are 40psi max.
Old 11-18-2011
I am Epic

I had a somewhat mechanic friend tell me that in the summer. I can believe i actually believed him and let him fill, my tires to 51psi last summer! But i got my winters on now so i wont be letting him touch my tires again.

I went to honda and checked my tire yesterday and they were all at 30psi, these are winter tires that i had mounted just last week so i brought them up to 38psi. Thats what the honda tech said is good for winters in our cars but less for other tires.
At least now i know to do no more than 38psi!
Old 11-18-2011
Premium Member

stick gauges for me, but i go thru them like candy. usually the top pops off and the insides fly everywhere after some use. havent been able to find a decent one but so long as all the tires have the same pressure (whatever that really is i have no idea, i guess +/- 3psi) its good enough. ive heard people tell me full nitrogen does not leak as fast compared to straight air (80% nitrogen), but never tried it. i want to be in a position to add air anytime they get low, and if i get the pure nitrogen i would have to bring them back to the shop to get them aired up. not worth the hassle for me when it takes 5 mins to plug in the compressor and refill the tires in the garage.
Old 11-19-2011
Registered!!

ac_2007 will become famous soon enough

I had a somewhat mechanic friend tell me that in the summer.

Your Honda tech doesn't know what he's talking about. 38psi limits grip and causes uneven tire wear.
Old 11-19-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
lol why not just go to the gas station and use their compressor?
Costs $1!
Old 11-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brian1037
Costs $1!
It costs $1, that doesn't mean you need to pay it though!

The vast majority of the time the compressor isn't owned by the gas station, it's placed there by an independent company who pay a fee to the station owners, then the independent company maintains and services it keeping the profits from it's use. The stations have a switch inside to turn it on though, just go up to the counter and ask if they can turn the compressor on for you. That's what I always do, never have a problem.
Old 11-19-2011
Premium Member

almost every service shop around here like big-o tires and gas station repair shops have free air.
Old 11-20-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MindBomber
It costs $1, that doesn't mean you need to pay it though!

The vast majority of the time the compressor isn't owned by the gas station, it's placed there by an independent company who pay a fee to the station owners, then the independent company maintains and services it keeping the profits from it's use. The stations have a switch inside to turn it on though, just go up to the counter and ask if they can turn the compressor on for you. That's what I always do, never have a problem.

I do that all the time. But it usually only works if you actually fill up gas too :P sometimes though, they say it's not owned by them and they have no control from inside.
Old 11-21-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

when i was young and stupid[er] i inflated a brand new set of tires to 80PSI on my accord.

they were deformed by the next day and has protrusion hot spots all over.

- $400 out of my wallet

inflating to 50 wont mess them up...but u are close. most tires are 50PSI max inflation anyways.

u generally wanna run a higher inflation (40+ psi) if u are carrying a lot of weight and dont want too much tire flex. but most of our tires are not designed to carry that much weights (especially the sizes our civic uses)
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anibis
Do you guys still use the stick gauges or have you gone digital?
I use the round gauge type but I picked up a digital one to see how it compares.
I used the stick type for years but when I checked the same tire multiple times and got different readings I got fed up and bought the gauge type. The stick type seems to work when they are new but after a short time they stick and the readings are all over the place. With the round gauge type I overfill the tire by a couple of pounds and use the valve on the gauge to let out air until the reading is where I want it.
The digital one I tried gave the same readings as the other one so the accuracy seemed fine but the display stopped working after a year.
Old 11-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

tonight i went to take a corner and the *** end let loose i was like WTF my tires aren't that bald. stopped at a gas station and notice my rear right was almost completely flat another wtf because i just checked and filled them to 35 psi yesterday. got home and pulled a nail out of it and plugged it im lucky it didn't come off the beed taking that corner.
Old 11-21-2011
Premium Member

that blows, im so sick of getting flat tires. what are all these nails and bolts doing on the road to begin with?
Old 11-21-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gearbox
that blows, im so sick of getting flat tires. what are all these nails and bolts doing on the road to begin with?
They'd be sitting in the bed of a truck or in a trailer or something after a construction worker has done a big demolition job and filled it up. As the car drives along, bumps and vibrations can make them slip out and land on the road.
Old 11-21-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

reminds me of a coworker telling me that he found a screw in his tire and i simply told him his tire was screwed up :P
almost did not survive the experience
Old 11-23-2011
A scene before your eyes

Honest! True story!
I won't mention the *******s name here cause he would most certainly be reconized and get his *** beat up.
This "guy", I know of, has some major **** the world issues and hates lots of things. He is not so smart and is not the greatest at thinking of incredible and or fantastic creative means of being a complete *****. You know kinda like the chick who went around purposely giving guys HIV a few years back or the dude in Berlin who would drop grapefruit size rocks off of an overpass onto passing cars below. But he is just that ****ed in the head.
Anyway he would go around throwing boxes full of 2inch nails into the roads and intersection of differant towns in differant states. Where ever he would go he would brag about this **** to alot of "soon to be pissed off mother ****ers". So I guess some dick may have just thrown it or them out there dude.
Old 11-23-2011
Premium Member

can anyone here tell me why there are FREAKING ROCKS all over the roads here? and not the smooth river rocks, no. these are sharp and pointy landscaping rocks. i just ran over two fairly good sized ones tonight in the middle of the road. they are so hard to see and i always hit something at night. theyre all over the place! im assuming my brand new 500 mile old tires are okay because i didnt hear any popping sounds lol. its very annoying to have to constantly watch what youre about to run over instead of enjoying your nice hid headlights.

Quick Reply: check your tire pressures!