Transmission swap post information/Questions about automatic to Manual Transmission swaps

auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4everspeedin is an unknown quantity at this point
auto to manual conversion

whats up, well i have a 01 civic lx and its currently auto, i was looking into swapping out the transmission for a ex 5speed since mine is on the way of being out of service. i wanted to know what else would i need to change to make this switch possible?

thanks, any supporting info is gladly appreciated
Old 11-12-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: auto to manual conversion

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...sion-swap.html
Old 11-12-2011
Registered!!

raigen18 is on a distinguished road

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...sion-swap.html
Old 12-15-2015
Registered!!

sirharles79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you absolutely need the manual dash harness? I'm doing the swap right now and having some problems
Old 12-16-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

No! you do not need the manual harness at all.
I swapped and had both on hand but the auto has everything you need for the manual transmission plus some extra sensors. So you will just have extra electrical clips hanging off the harness.

However, the reverse lights are run off a completely different system. So you will need to locate the system which supplies voltage to the taillights and solder in your own wires to run to the manual transmission sensor.

You will also need the manual harness reverse sensor socket, just go to a scrap yard and cut one off a manual harness.

As well make sure to leave your auto ecu in, so you can drive the car to a dealership to recode the key. Once you get the the dealership unbolt the ecu to save them time and you money.
Old 12-16-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

In order to start your vehicle, with an auto ecu and a manual harness you will need to ground out the park sensor, so the vehicle always thinks it's in park, this lets you start the vehicle, since you cannot start it unless it thinks it's in park.
Old 11-09-2020
Registered!!

Damoy Montègo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac25
In order to start your vehicle, with an auto ecu and a manual harness you will need to ground out the park sensor, so the vehicle always thinks it's in park, this lets you start the vehicle, since you cannot start it unless it thinks it's in park.
Any advice on how to ground out the park sensor??
Old 12-12-2020
Registered!!

Civic04757 is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently bought a 04 civic ex. Someone before me did a manual swap. Just found that the front motor mount was original to the car. So I need a manual tranny engine mount. They didn’t change the subframe and the didn’t weld new brackets for the new manual tranny mount.So at the moment it’s only being held by one bolt of the mount. So is there another mount that will work,is welding or changing the subframe my only option?
Old 04-27-2021
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Civic04757
I recently bought a 04 civic ex. Someone before me did a manual swap. Just found that the front motor mount was original to the car. So I need a manual tranny engine mount. They didn’t change the subframe and the didn’t weld new brackets for the new manual tranny mount.So at the moment it’s only being held by one bolt of the mount. So is there another mount that will work,is welding or changing the subframe my only option?
Someone may be able to make you a custom mount, but there are no off the shelf mounts designed for a manual trans with an auto subframe. If you don't have a welder and the time and skill to move the front mount on the subframe, your best bet would be to go to a local junkyard and get a 5 speed subframe. If you pull it yourself you should be able to get one for well under $100 and changing it is easy. Hope this helps