7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Headlights & Brights On At Same Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Headlights & Brights On At Same Time

I currently have TYC headlights installed in my 01 civic lx, and when I turn my brights on, my main headlight bulbs turn off (I figured it was designed this way). I want the headlight bulbs to remain on when I turn my brights on, because, I want my brights really dang bright. Hitting a deer or anything else with a car that has $200 headlights, custom fiberglass fenders and a $300 bumper doesnt sound that fun to me.
Old 11-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Headlights & Brights On At Same Time

yeah its not by design but rather by being limited to the stock wiring. the civic harness uses an h4 bulb and you cannot keep both lo and hi beam filaments turned on together because it will explode the bulb. but the tycs have a separate hi beam, so it is perfectly safe to rewire them to stay on with the lo beams. tyc cannot really do this AND keep the headlamps plug and play. what i did was make a new wire harness for the lo beams, then run the hi beams off the factory harness. this is the only way to do it safely, as the stock wiring can barely support one pair of bulbs. my diagram is using lo beam hids, but you can simply substitute the "hid ballast and hid bulb" part for the h1 halogen tyc lo beam bulb instead. it works the same way. basically all you need is a fuse holder, 15 amp fuse, bulk 14 gauge wire, some ring terminals, a 20/30 amp bosch/tyco relay, and a relay holder. the rest is just following the diagram and soldering the harness together. the two diagrams are basically the same, but the first one shows tyc projector specific wires and colors from the connectors they come with to make it easier to understand. www.partsexpress.com should have all the parts you need.

Name:  relaydiagram02gb.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  46.9 KB
Old 11-08-2011
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Thanks a ton gearbox! You rock!
Old 11-08-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah its not by design but rather by being limited to the stock wiring. the civic harness uses an h4 bulb and you cannot keep both lo and hi beam filaments turned on together because it will explode the bulb. but the tycs have a separate hi beam, so it is perfectly safe to rewire them to stay on with the lo beams. tyc cannot really do this AND keep the headlamps plug and play. what i did was make a new wire harness for the lo beams, then run the hi beams off the factory harness. this is the only way to do it safely, as the stock wiring can barely support one pair of bulbs. my diagram is using lo beam hids, but you can simply substitute the "hid ballast and hid bulb" part for the h1 halogen tyc lo beam bulb instead. it works the same way. basically all you need is a fuse holder, 15 amp fuse, bulk 14 gauge wire, some ring terminals, a 20/30 amp bosch/tyco relay, and a relay holder. the rest is just following the diagram and soldering the harness together. the two diagrams are basically the same, but the first one shows tyc projector specific wires and colors from the connectors they come with to make it easier to understand. www.partsexpress.com should have all the parts you need.

Could you possibly mess with the switch that turns the brights on and instead of the switch turning the lo beams off, it could keep them on? just trying to think with simplicity here
Old 11-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the stock harness cannot support more than one pair of 55w halogen bulbs (the wire is thin 18 gauge and barely enough for one pair of bulbs). if you ghetto rig it to stay on together (like holding the flash to pass stick more than a few seconds), you will melt and destroy the stock wiring and headlight switch, and possibly start an engine fire.