7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Halo projector... oh yes again and again...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011
:3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crescent is on a distinguished road
Halo projector... oh yes again and again...

OKAY! Third time posting about these , but now i really really wana be sure about this thing, when i buy these, numero uno: will the HID kit that comes with it fit the housing, two: will i need to do some aiming for my low/hi beam? thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000K-HID-04...ht_7223wt_1396

EDIT: just on some side-note, i wanted to buy a front grille, but I don't want to remove my weather shield... is that possible? if so will any front grille just fit or do i need specific one?
Old 10-30-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halo projector... oh yes again and again...

really hard to say. the bulbs may be the right size for the bulb hole, but ive heard of some projectors being too small and the bulb hits the shield inside. others you have to do some trimming. and when you're done, the light output will be messed like you cant imagine. they are already terrible projectors with halogen. hids will make them worse. none of those things came aimed properly either. and sometimes the projectors were loose. if you never drive at night it might be worth it for looks, but idk. no real functionality. just open them up and put in a real hid projector.

if you have a sedan, and you get the altezza/type-r upper grill, the weather shield will fit like stock. you dont really need it tho and you get better airflow to the engine without the shield. if you have a coupe, you need the sedan shield to work with the grill.
Old 10-30-2011

Originally Posted by gearbox
really hard to say. the bulbs may be the right size for the bulb hole, but ive heard of some projectors being too small and the bulb hits the shield inside. others you have to do some trimming. and when you're done, the light output will be messed like you cant imagine. they are already terrible projectors with halogen. hids will make them worse. none of those things came aimed properly either. and sometimes the projectors were loose. if you never drive at night it might be worth it for looks, but idk. no real functionality. just open them up and put in a real hid projector.

if you have a sedan, and you get the altezza/type-r upper grill, the weather shield will fit like stock. you dont really need it tho and you get better airflow to the engine without the shield. if you have a coupe, you need the sedan shield to work with the grill.
yeah i heard that too about the HID thats why i was asking, and i know also about the light output D:!! the thing is a drive kinda alot at night -.-" makes me sick thinking about doing a retrofit :S but, if i change the projector in it, will it work any better? do you know any kinda projectors that fit into them, that would be great?

thanks for the grille info, i heard the weather shield wasnt that usefull, but then again where im front we get to have winters and heavy rain haha xD also for the car wash, i dont believe you want water in the engine bay no? lemme know what you think
Old 10-30-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i dont have experience with those lights, only the 01-03 projectors. if you open up the headlights and post pics and take measurements, im sure you could fit something. there are at least several small hid projectors and most are around $100 a pair or less.

ive been running without the weather shield for years with no problems. some water might spray in there but not enough to do any damage and all the connectors are waterproof. unless you are spraying water straight under the hood, you should be fine.
Old 10-31-2011

i dont have experience with those lights, only the 01-03 projectors. if you open up the headlights and post pics and take measurements, im sure you could fit something. there are at least several small hid projectors and most are around $100 a pair or less.

ive been running without the weather shield for years with no problems. some water might spray in there but not enough to do any damage and all the connectors are waterproof. unless you are spraying water straight under the hood, you should be fine.
those are 01-03 :P and thanks for the weather shield info
Old 10-31-2011
Premium Member

oh lol. i looked at the text and saw 04-05 and assumed without looking at the pic. thats the one style of projector i havent played with so not sure on the space in there. a valeo or even morimoto mini should fit im guessing.
Old 10-31-2011

kk, so by adding these in i would get better light output? also wondering another thing, is it alot of work to with these in?
Old 10-31-2011
Premium Member

its basically opening the headlights, taking out the old projector and mounting the new one. if the new one fits well enough, its just a matter of getting some nuts/bolts to securely fasten it. i have some pics of what i did with tycs in that old thread if youre interested. not terribly hard, just time consuming. going with a real hid projector will be a huge difference over what they come with stock. for example, my stock halogen tyc vs the valeo hid projector i swapped in. notice how much wider the valeo projectors are, and how evenly spread the output is.

tyc halogens

tyccivich1beam.jpg?t=1278027746

valeo halogen version

Name:  h7clearvaleo1cutoff-1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  13.8 KB

valeo hid version

valeoxenonbulbcomparo.jpg?t=1318179497
Old 10-31-2011

wow that is mother effin clean O____O, so first thing when i get them, ill open em up, mesure them, and you can tell me which one fits? XD how do i mesure them? side to side, top bottom?
Old 10-31-2011
Premium Member

yeah just basic dimensions like length, width, height. hidplanet.com has a library of projector measurements, but usually you will be limited by the housing. valeos, possibly bosch e46, and the morimoto mini (theretrofitsource.com) are good bets to fit. everything else will be too big. its too bad the halo projector companies didnt put something better in there to start with. and to give you an idea in the hid world, valeos are one of the dimmest projectors lol. TL and s2k are nearly twice as bright but much larger units. but valeo is still way better than any halogen.
Old 11-01-2011

yeah just basic dimensions like length, width, height. hidplanet.com has a library of projector measurements, but usually you will be limited by the housing. valeos, possibly bosch e46, and the morimoto mini (theretrofitsource.com) are good bets to fit. everything else will be too big. its too bad the halo projector companies didnt put something better in there to start with. and to give you an idea in the hid world, valeos are one of the dimmest projectors lol. TL and s2k are nearly twice as bright but much larger units. but valeo is still way better than any halogen.

kk that sounds really good :O ill do that when i get them :P and hmm one more question... will i loose my halo by fitting these projector in ?

EDIT:where can i buy them and how much are the most expensive ones?(just to get an idea :P)

Last edited by Crescent; 11-01-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-01-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Gearbox, in your opinion, Valeo or Morimoto Mini?
Old 11-01-2011
Premium Member

-halos are on the outside shroud so changing projectors will not affect it. check ebay.

-morimoto mini h1 is the better performer when you look at light output, but the overall quality of the valeo is better as an oem projector. you are also stuck using aftermarket h1 hid bulb in the minis whereas the valeo uses oem d2s bulb. i would personally go with valeo, but the minis put out more light. stay away from the mini d2s, they are junk and have all sorts of problems with bad beam pattern and alignment.
Old 11-01-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

where would you be able to get valeos?
Old 11-01-2011
Premium Member

usually ebay. i would recommend the d2s version because there are more bulb options if you dont like the stock 4300k color. also the rear bulb mounting location is smaller and easier to fit in the halo projectors. the d1s will be too big and require cutting of the housing. something like this should work. the seller is legit, ive ordered from him before.

pretty cheap for a pair of these and they have four mounting points which makes it much easier to install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D2S-VALEO-X-...item3f0f5285d5

other than the projectors, you would need a pair of d2s hid bulbs (philips or osram are good, i've seen $75 shipped for a pair of brand new philips from ebay seller hidbulbzrus and that is one of the only legit ebay sellers of hid bulbs), and a pair of d2s ballasts. i would stick with hella gen3 because they are waterproof.
Old 11-01-2011

kk, so screw the HID kit that comes with the headlights? :P
Old 11-01-2011
Premium Member

yeah sell that hid kit, its junk.

here is the wiring diagram if you end up using tyc projectors. you can make the harness with bulk wire, a tyco/bosch relay and relay holder, a fuse holder, and some ring terminals (www.partsexpress.com)

tyc specific diagram

diagramtychid-1.jpg?t=1280961661

generic diagram (01-03 civic specific with any aftermarket projector having hid low and halogen hi beam)

relaydiagram02gb.jpg?t=1264515467
Old 11-01-2011

oh...kk so those **** are not plug n play? -.-""" i hate doing electrical in a car XD always end up failing somehow(not so good with electrical stuff considering im a programmer :|)
Old 11-01-2011
Premium Member

well they are plug and play if you keep it halogen. hid you cannot use the stock wiring because its too thin to support the ballast powerup sequence. and even if it could, you still need a separate harness for the hid otherwise you wont be able to have both lo and hi beam on at the same time (the lo beams would turn off when you switch to hi beam). its actually a very simple wire diagram if you look at it. a fuse, a relay, and some wiring. the relay is numbered so you just match up the wires from the relay to the parts.
Old 11-01-2011

well they are plug and play if you keep it halogen. hid you cannot use the stock wiring because its too thin to support the ballast powerup sequence. and even if it could, you still need a separate harness for the hid otherwise you wont be able to have both lo and hi beam on at the same time (the lo beams would turn off when you switch to hi beam). its actually a very simple wire diagram if you look at it. a fuse, a relay, and some wiring. the relay is numbered so you just match up the wires from the relay to the parts.
kk so is that relay already in my car? XD or do i have to buy one?

EDIT: yeah i took a second look, not that hard since i was able to figure it out, haha, but i suck at everything that involves wiring XD only thing i got done neatly was my deck harness -.-
Old 11-02-2011
Premium Member

you need to buy a relay, relay holder to plug the relay into, a fuse holder, bulk 14 gauge wire, and ring terminals. basically the only thing on the car is the H4 connector. all the rest needs to be made. the first diagram is basically the same, but it shows how to use the tyc adapters it comes with so you dont have to splice the stock h4 connector wiring in case you ever install the stock headlights again.
Old 11-02-2011

kk, but im wondering one thing, just to clear it out, i see alot of HID kits that claims to be P&P :O is it total bullshit or ?
Old 11-02-2011
Premium Member

yeah pretty much, they dont care if your stock wiring melts or catches fire. they just want to sell it.
Old 11-02-2011

kk so the second diagram is for always on, but lets say i want them on when im on low beam and off when im on high beams.... all i need to do is wire 86 to the battery and tap 85 into my lo wire of the H4 plug?
Old 11-03-2011
Premium Member

im not sure i understand. you want the lo beam to turn off when you switch to hi beam? i dont really recommend that because you will hardly be able to see anything with just the hi beams, and its not good to have the hids turn on and off too many times when switching modes. if you really want i can look into the wires again and figure it out.
Old 11-03-2011

im not sure i understand. you want the lo beam to turn off when you switch to hi beam? i dont really recommend that because you will hardly be able to see anything with just the hi beams, and its not good to have the hids turn on and off too many times when switching modes. if you really want i can look into the wires again and figure it out.
OOOOOOh ok, nono its fine, i just thought it would be better not to turn em on all the time XD thanks for that information again :P, also do you have any intruction on fitting these projector in a housing, and any idea on where to install the relay? also wondering, do i only need to plug the relay on ONE SIDE?
Old 11-03-2011
Premium Member

yeah well the relay is for both sides. if you want you can make a whole harness and relay for the other side too. but with separate hi beams, in case the lo beams turn off for some reason, you have backup lighting. if the hid was your only source of lighting then i would say yes make two harnesses, one for each side. i have my relay bolted to the car body under the passenger side headlamp kinda in the fender area.

for installing the projector, i only have pics of what i did to mount valeos into tycs. other projectors should be similar but no way to know for sure. i went to home depot and bought brackets, springs, nuts, bolts, and rubber washers. just read thru my tyc thread i know there are mounting pics in there. its a solid mounting design, almost never shakes when driving.
Old 11-03-2011

yeah well the relay is for both sides. if you want you can make a whole harness and relay for the other side too. but with separate hi beams, in case the lo beams turn off for some reason, you have backup lighting. if the hid was your only source of lighting then i would say yes make two harnesses, one for each side. i have my relay bolted to the car body under the passenger side headlamp kinda in the fender area.

for installing the projector, i only have pics of what i did to mount valeos into tycs. other projectors should be similar but no way to know for sure. i went to home depot and bought brackets, springs, nuts, bolts, and rubber washers. just read thru my tyc thread i know there are mounting pics in there. its a solid mounting design, almost never shakes when driving.
yeah thats what i mean 1 relay both side :P, but i only splice it in my +12v from one of the H4 adapters XD

but yeah im not 100% sure for the retrofit yet >_< i know i can do the harness np now that i looked at it... but custom fab :S im not tip top on that kinda stuff, i can take a look at it but i might end up not doing it :\
Old 11-04-2011
Premium Member

yes the relay harness only needs one trigger wire hooked to the +12v passenger headlight wire. its not really that custom, the hardest thing i did was cut a metal bracket in half with a hacksaw. most of it will be using premade nuts and bolts. or the valeo could fit on the bottom two stock screws and youre almost done without doing anything. if youre buying the headlights already, may as well open em up and take a peek inside for space. you need to reseal them anyway cause they always leak water from the factory.
Old 11-04-2011

yes the relay harness only needs one trigger wire hooked to the +12v passenger headlight wire. its not really that custom, the hardest thing i did was cut a metal bracket in half with a hacksaw. most of it will be using premade nuts and bolts. or the valeo could fit on the bottom two stock screws and youre almost done without doing anything. if youre buying the headlights already, may as well open em up and take a peek inside for space. you need to reseal them anyway cause they always leak water from the factory.
kk i might give it a shot :P what do you recommend for sealing them? just plain clear silicone? and also should i buy the hid kit and install it all with the stock projector for now or install some halogene?

EDIT: stock projector meaning the aftermarket headlight's projector :P

Last edited by Crescent; 11-04-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Halo projector... oh yes again and again...