7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

idling problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skaterboy2214 is an unknown quantity at this point
idling problems

ok so i have an 02 civic dx with an a2 swap on it and a stage 1 cam on it since i have had the cam it has trouble idling and had periodicly stalls out and no clue on the issue any ideas
Old 10-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: idling problems

what engine management do you have?
Old 10-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Engine management is not required for a stage one cam.

I think Milkey had the same problem after his cam install.
Old 10-26-2011
Registered!!

Ex ecu
Old 10-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Interesting... two of you are having the same issues after installing the cam.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...age-1-cam.html
Old 10-26-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nevermind, thought he meant k20a2 not d17a2 lol. did you do the ecu reset and idle learn procedure? if not, that could be the reason. changing anything that is bolted in or on the engine can cause idle problems.
Old 10-26-2011
Registered!!

Ok ill try that but how do I do that
Old 10-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I think there's something up with the stage 1s, it's weird that both you and Milkey both installed one and had identical issues.
Old 10-26-2011
Premium Member

start the car and warm it to operating temp. you can drive around to do this and should not have too many problems except unsteady idle. park the car and turn it off. open the hood, locate fuse box, and remove the FI ECU fuse.

Name:  fuse-box.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  44.2 KB

put the fuse back in, close hood, and start the car. let it idle for 10 minutes in park or neutral without using any lights/accessories or pressing the gas. after 10 mins, shut the car off. start it again and go for a drive like you normally would. it will take up to a full tank of gas for the ecu to relearn fuel maps and readiness codes. the idle will be set, but it may take a while until the ecu adjusts and you start getting good mileage again. do not perform these mods if you are having the car smog-checked immediately afterwards. it is a guaranteed fail. you need to wait at least 100 miles or more.
Old 10-26-2011
Premium Member

to add some more info, i like to let the car idle a bit longer like close to 15 mins just in case. you should be hearing the cooling fans turning on and off during this time. keep the hood closed. if the cooling fans never come on, the car is not warmed up enough. be sure you drive the car enough to get everything hot. this might not be possible to do in the winter below freezing, and one of the readiness codes may not complete either.