7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Honda Civic Hybrid: Transmission Problems: Won't honour extended warranty

Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allison27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic Hybrid: Transmission Problems: Won't honour extended warranty

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am looking for advice anyone might be able to offer me regarding my situation with Honda. I bought my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid in 2007 with 68 000 km from a private dealer in Toronto (not Honda). Because I am not a mechanic and know very little about cars I decided to take my car to Honda dealers for service. I knew I would pay a premium price but I wanted to make sure I took good care of my $15500 investment. I took my car to Honda more than once a year for service and did some oil changes at home with my Dad. Each time they told me my car was in good shape and needed no work.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed my car was "shuddering" when accelerating from a stop. Next the check engine light came on. When this happened I took it to a private mechanic near to where I was at the time as I was afriad to drive it and damage it further. At that shop they told me it was a transmission code, they also told me the transmission fluid had never been changed. I did some research and found out this was a fairly common problem called a CVT transmission "Judder." Honda Canada sent out a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) in 2008 to their dealers so they would know how to deal with the problem. They also indicated in the TSB that Honda would extend teh warranty to 160000km and 7 years old if a car came in with this issue. I thought I was Ok because it is a 2005 with 142 000km on it and I had taken it to Honda for service. I was wrong...

I took it to Markham Honda where they test drove it and confirmed it was the CVT Judder mentioned in the TSB. They also quickly told me there was no way the extended warranty would be honoured because the transmission fluid had never been changed. They also said Honda doesn't pay for repairs when people don't maintain their cars. I was shocked by this treatment. I expect Honda mechanics to know my car and to properly maintain it when I take it to them for service.

I also called Honda Canada several times and they have told me I am on my own because I didn't take car of my car. They said if I have an issue with the service at a dealership I would have to take it up with them as they are separate businesses. Separate businesses? So Honda Canada is saying they are not accountable whatsoever for the service at their own dealerships? They know this is a fault in the transmission and they refuse to even consider helping me.

The cost of a new transmission will be $3000+, I cannot afford this as I went back to school and am starting over in my career again at this time. The car is getting worse and I need it to get to work everyday. Can anyone offer advice for how to deal with Honda Canada, Honda dealerships or advice on repairing my car??

I should mention that Markham Honda is the most recent dealership I went to, I moved a lot and have taken it to several for service. Less than 1 year ago however, Markham Honda serviced my car and gave me a sheet of paper indicating all fluids in my car were in good condition, including the transmission fluid. I am considering the Better Business Bureau or a Civil lawsuit but in the mean time, I need to get to work...

Thanks for any help!

Allison
Old 10-10-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic Hybrid: Transmission Problems: Won't honour extended warranty

there is no way they can prove the fluid was never changed. you are under no obligation to have maintenance work done at the dealer either. this type of work history is only considered for "good will" credit if something breaks outside the warranty period. dealers and mechanics pull this fraud all the time to deny warranty work. its very common.
Old 10-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
there is no way they can prove the fluid was never changed. you are under no obligation to have maintenance work done at the dealer either. this type of work history is only considered for "good will" credit if something breaks outside the warranty period. dealers and mechanics pull this fraud all the time to deny warranty work. its very common.
They don't have to prove the fluid was never changed, you have to prove that it was. I'm not a lawyer but I believe for your warranty to remain in effect you have to perform the minimum maintence listed in the manual. For example, there is usually a standard and severe schedule such as 10,000 mi oil change for standard and 5,000 mi for severe. If the engine fails due to oil under warranty as long as you can show the oil was changed at least every 10,000 miles they have to honor the warranty. It may be that you should have followed the severe schedule but they can not prove that, the point is you have to do at least the minimum and have receipts to prove it.

I do understand your frustration. Since you have a service ticket stating that the fluid was fine within the last year I would try to get the regional manager for Honda involved and see if you can get Honda and the dealer to work with you on a solution. I know it is not what you want to hear but at this point I would aim to get them to pick up half the cost. The problem is Honda has already denied your claim so it is an upward battle and since you have not used a single dealer you are not a 'valued' customer that they are willing to spend money on to keep happy. I would not mention the Better Business Bureau or lawyer since that will probably just make them angry and you want their help. If all else fails file a complaint with the BBB just don't use it as a threat.
Old 10-11-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

all you have to say is, i do my own maintenance.
Old 10-12-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
all you have to say is, i do my own maintenance.
And you better have dated receipts for the products you used.
Old 10-12-2011
Registered!!

One other possibility is to try discussing it with the owner of the dealership. My guess is the guy you talked to at the dealer previously was the service manager. The owner of the dealership wants you happy and saying nice things about his dealership but the question is how much is he willing to spend for it. If it was a $300 or $400 charge it would probably be pretty easy to get him to comp it but $3000 is going to be hard, that is why settling for half may be the best you can do. It doesn't hurt to mention things like "I have been getting peoples opinions at work and at church and they all agree that this has not been handled well". The idea is to let him know that a lot of people are only hearing one side of it.