7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Swapping Honda 1.7 Engine...got a question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adam.ramsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Swapping Honda 1.7 Engine...got a question.

The lower end of my engine went out on my 2003 Honda Civic so I went to a junk yard and bought a used engine to replace it with. It came with a 90 day warranty but before I put it in I plan to replace the water pump, oil pan gasket, manifold gasket, etc. The oil pump isn't available at any parts store except eay motors so I figured I'd try the one that came with the used engine, espspecially due to the highly evasive procedure to replace it. I also wanted to check the compression to make sure it was good. Can I do this outside the engine compartment or will I have to drop the engine in and hook up the starter to a battery to get it to turn fast enough. I tried to do it with a air rachet to no prevail. Any ideas? Thanks. Turning it by hand read something like 80, 70, 70, 40? But that was hand cracking it one quarter turn at a time so who knows, also the exhaust manifold is off, does that matter...I wouldn't think so?

Last edited by adam.ramsey; 09-23-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2011
Honda Crazy

ZFreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Swapping Honda 1.7 Engine...got a question.

In regards to the oil pump:

If you already have all the timing components off for the water pump, etc, and the oil pan off for the oil pan gasket, then the oil pump will come off VERY easily... as in an extra 5 minutes and it's replaced. It is bolted to the block and will only be removed when the oil pan is off and the timing components are removed.

As far as compression goes, the BEST way to get a good reading is using the starter. You should be able to hook a battery up to the starter, but do it with the starter you aren't going to use anymore, as it'll heat up the starter VERY fast, as there is nothing controlling the voltage/regulation (i.e relays, switches, fuses, etc.)

Hope that helps a little.
Old 09-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

All the D17's have the same oil pump. It's number 1: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ZFreak
As far as compression goes, the BEST way to get a good reading is using the starter. You should be able to hook a battery up to the starter, but do it with the starter you aren't going to use anymore, as it'll heat up the starter VERY fast, as there is nothing controlling the voltage/regulation (i.e relays, switches, fuses, etc.)
Don't worry about the starter. Most people remove all the spark plugs before doing a compression check so there is less load than normal on the starter. As far as "nothing controlling the voltage/regulation" there normally isn't, the whole point of the battery cables size and design is to supply as much current and voltage as possible.
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

thisguy is an unknown quantity at this point

how much for the oil pump?