7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What would cause brake shoes to go off center?

Old 09-10-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Re: What would cause brake shoes to go off center?

Originally Posted by gearbox
i used to work auto parts and every shoe ive seen has two sizes. including a box of wagner thermoquiets i had for civic but ended up with oem instead. you cannot tell unless you hold both shoes together before installing and look at the lengths. its small but its there. people made the mistake of assuming they were the same all the time and constantly come back saying they didnt fit right. the parts companies almost need to make them different colors lol.
Im gonna have to pick up a new set to inspect it. Too hard with the shoes already on. But the set of new wagners i got at home i put them side by side and no different at all
Old 09-12-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

K so I think this might be it, but im not getting my hopes up.

I brought up with a friend of mine that last fall I had a 4W alignment done on my car with one of the 3D machines. The guy said my back right wheel is bit off cause it looks like the previous owner hit a curb and the tire on it will wear bit more on the inside than the rest of the tires. He said that the wheel hub either needs to be shimmed or an accentric cam installed.

I have no idea what accentric cams bolts are but apparently you can only get them from the dealer.

So I talked to my buddy and he said that this very well could be whats causing the noise in the back. He said if one of your wheels is bit out of lined, then it means its not running 100% true. Is that right? When someone says a tire runs true, do they mean as in the wheel spins straight/parellel to the car body or flat to the ground?

So im gonna take it into the alignment shop and get them to check it out again. I remember they said it would be a relatively easy fix to install accentric cam bolts.

The only thing is, if it is indeed this back right wheel being not 100% causing this noise, then how the hell does the back left eventually duplicat ethe sound? Can it spread through the brake lines? since the brane line does start from the back right tire then to back left tire. Either that or my back left wheel is bit out of lined as well.

Also this buddy of mine told me to just get OEM honda shoes for now on, he said not to bother with Napa or Wagners anymore. I just called up my honda dealer and the guyy said all 4 shoes are the same part number. Wierd. Who makes the OEM shoes, anyone know? $21 each, holy geez!

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 09-12-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2011
I am Epic

went to get an alignment today and guess what, yes the back right wheel is not true. It wobbles a bit when spinning and they measured it with their 3D machine...its 0.16 off. They said its pretty significant.

They said to put a accentric cam in, where its basically an adjustable arm. $140 + half hours labour = $190.
I asked about whether this out of lined wheel can cause brakes to drag or noise coming from it - they said on drum shoes no.

What you think?

Another thing is, when the shoes are on the backing plate installed. It seems my pins on my left shoes dont stay on fully, meaning the clips that go on the shoes and the pin through it (dont know what the clips are called), they seem loose and can even rotate them by hand. Is this normal?

Im probably gonna get the cam put on.