7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking of buying an EM2, need help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcolite is an unknown quantity at this point
Thinking of buying an EM2, need help?

Alright guys, I'm new to the Civic scene. First of all, this is going to be my first car, so my first build and I'm hoping to fall in love with the car from when I first start it to when I put on my last modification. For this reason I'm asking for some help with deciding whether I am making the right choice or not. Slowly I am hoping to make this car into the beauty of the road, so it has to be a car that will give off that vibe. In my view, I need a car that's not very old and is very reliable. Civic's have always had a soft spot in my heart and the EM2 has been the crowned queen in my view. For this reason, I am thinking of buying a 2005 Honda Civic Si coupe, which is in the States, I believe a Civic Ex coupe. The headlights work for me better with the shape of the body than the 2001-2003 EM2. I think I can get one for between 6 and 8,000 Canadian dollars but again, I need the opinions of fellow EM2 lovers.

I will start off by asking the pros and cons of this specific model of the car, because I have read reviews of the car from the point of view of magazines, online reviews, etc but I want a review in the view of a Civic driver. How is this car as a base to add modifications including engine, interior, exterior, etc. Will this be a good car to add some speed and power to, or will it be more of a looks and enjoy to drive car? Is it a reliable and fun car?
Basically, I'd like the main questions about this car to be answered and any input and views of other forumers to be expressed on this topic. All opinions will be taken into consideration because I just want the car that's right for me (a car that I will enjoy driving and putting money into).

Thank you to anyone who does help
Old 08-30-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Thinking of buying an EM2, need help?

get a 03+ because they've worked out a lot of the issues.

and get a manual, you will generally have a lot less problems as far as transmission goes.

drive ur car stock for a while (lets say 6+ months) so u know how it feels to drive a stock civic.

then all ur modifications afterward will be that much more significant.
Old 08-30-2011
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alcolite
How is this car as a base to add modifications including engine, interior, exterior, etc. Will this be a good car to add some speed and power to, or will it be more of a looks and enjoy to drive car? Is it a reliable and fun car?
Reliable, Yes.

Adding aftermarket parts, not so much.

Speed and power? I sure don't have it.

I will like my car much more when its lowered

Basically, I'd like the main questions about this car to be answered and any input and views of other forumers to be expressed on this topic. All opinions will be taken into consideration because I just want the car that's right for me (a car that I will enjoy driving and putting money into).

All in all, my car lives up exactly to what I expected it to be. Its great on gas and reliable. I'm not worried about spending money on the car for there is a lack of parts for this as compared to an EM1. Don't buy the car thinking that you are getting a car that is fast. I have an 04 EX and, to me, the car is slow. If you get the EM2 just keep the car simple and don't dig into the motor. Leave the motor stock and just do a few appearance to the car.
Old 08-30-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

the only good part about our cars is it actually has excellent suspension characteristics due to the fact that it is pretty light (like 2400lbs)
Old 08-30-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it is a good car to play with and learn on, since its pretty easy to work on and find parts. dont expect anything out of it as far as performance and handling. if you are coming from a yugo, it would be an improvement. but nothing compared to other cars out there. and it shouldnt be, this is only a civic economy car in a subcompact class.
Old 08-30-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

lowered with a nice set of wheels and oem lip kit will set off an em2 nicely. performance wise upgrade brakes and suspension first. it will make the em2 a lot more fun to drive. then if you want more power either turbo or kswap but both options are not cheap.

btw where in canada are you from if you dont mind me asking?
Old 08-31-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
the only good part about our cars is it actually has excellent suspension characteristics due to the fact that it is pretty light (like 2400lbs)
Is it really? See I'm glad to hear that because I always was under the impression that the ride and suspension was garbage.. Dropping it will look nice.. Plus it's the '05 Ex Coupe that I'm buying... Happily it is after '03.

Originally Posted by gearbox
it is a good car to play with and learn on, since its pretty easy to work on and find parts. dont expect anything out of it as far as performance and handling. if you are coming from a yugo, it would be an improvement. but nothing compared to other cars out there. and it shouldnt be, this is only a civic economy car in a subcompact class.
I've never really expected it to be very fast, like I said, I'd prefer looks and the joy of the drive rather than be able to rip it down the streets.... For now. If it is a good car to play with for the next couple of years, I think I'm making the right choice.

Originally Posted by Muirsy
lowered with a nice set of wheels and oem lip kit will set off an em2 nicely. performance wise upgrade brakes and suspension first. it will make the em2 a lot more fun to drive. then if you want more power either turbo or kswap but both options are not cheap.

btw where in canada are you from if you dont mind me asking?
Yes.... Lowering and adding rims with be the first thing I do to it, not sure whether I should do it before or after the winter... The lip kit, breaks and I'm thinking an exhaust will have to wait until after the summer. Power can always wait, I mean I'm not buying the car expecting the speedometer to blow my mind... Just to put a little tingle down my spine when I need it :P.

Btw, I'm from Brampton, Ontario. GTA .

What about the smaller modification such as seats out of a DC5, headlights, taillights, intake, headers, shiftknob, etc. Does anyone have good posts or threads that I can bookmark to gain knowledge onto some builds?

Last edited by Alcolite; 08-31-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Forgot location
Old 08-31-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

^ one of the best mods i have done is putting in a short shifter adapter made a huge difference. search around this forum there is tons of good info on here. also check out the members rides section for other members builds threads so you can see what other members are doing. heres mine for example.. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...ld-thread.html

also good to see another canadian member from the GTA... im in Burlington
Old 08-31-2011
Registered!!

Artificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura aboutArtificial has a spectacular aura about

Yes.... Lowering and adding rims with be the first thing I do to it, not sure whether I should do it before or after the winter... The lip kit, breaks and I'm thinking an exhaust will have to wait until after the summer. Power can always wait, I mean I'm not buying the car expecting the speedometer to blow my mind... Just to put a little tingle down my spine when I need it :P.
Just an exhaust isn't going to do that. With an exhaust, intake, and headers you'll be lucky to gain 20hp.
Old 08-31-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Artificial
Just an exhaust isn't going to do that. With an exhaust, intake, and headers you'll be lucky to gain 20hp.
Well, when I said exhaust I meant the entire exhaust system I guess, cat back, intake and headers. That said, I was comparing combinations. How would the GReddy Evo 2 exhaust, with a k&n CIA intake and megan headers workout? I want the car loud when necessary, but quiet over casual drives... What would be better for me? And all in all, how much should I be looking to spend?
Old 08-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Well, when I said exhaust I meant the entire exhaust system I guess, cat back, intake and headers. That said, I was comparing combinations. How would the GReddy Evo 2 exhaust, with a k&n CIA intake and megan headers workout? I want the car loud when necessary, but quiet over casual drives... What would be better for me? And all in all, how much should I be looking to spend?
You forgot the midpipe

Don't waste any money on a CAI, it's just that much more to think about when the snow starts melting and you have big puddles in the road. You'll get comparable or better gains with a SRI due to less heat soak and less restriction of air flow.

If I were going out today to buy I/H/E, here's what I'd go with.
Megan header
Megan Midpipe
Stock cat
Apexi WS2 catback.
K&N FIPK intake

Check out dezod.com as a great source for 7th gen parts.

Personally, before I bought any of that, I'd buy coilovers, ES bushings and a progress rear sway.
Old 08-31-2011
Honda Crazy

ZFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the best upgrade I've made to my EM2 so far is the suspension. I have learned that it'll never be fast, so the least I can do is make it fun to drive around corners.
Old 08-31-2011
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

the rsx rear sway bar is a huge bump in suspension performance for a cheap price. It was a fun car for me, especially for a first car it's a great car to jump into. Easy to repair and maintain.