7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2005 put 2.5 gallons of gas with diesel residue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taltho is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 put 2.5 gallons of gas with diesel residue

Hallow everyone

I'm new to civics, just got mine... anyway.

I put 2.5 gallons of gas in my car (2005 civic) while the gas can I used had diesel residue from filling my truck, about 1/32 to 1/16 inch of diesel in a 5 gallon tank.

I drove about 10 miles and realized my check engine light had come on, I took it home an parked it. (a total of 10 or less miles)

What would be the wisest corse of action from this point to protect my car?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Edit: After topping the fuel tank off to dilute the diesel this car is running just fine without any problems at all.There are no check engine lights or warnings of any kind. Edit 8-25-2011

Last edited by taltho; 08-25-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 put 2.5 gallons of gas with diesel residue

start by draining the gas tank. then fill up with gas and drive it. if everything seems fine, you got lucky. if not, it will be a long and expensive journey replacing parts.
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

Ouch!
Thank you gearbox for the reply I greatly appreciate it.

I guess I'm down to hoping and praying.

Out of curiosity, what is it about diesel that is so harmful to these cars?
How can such a minute amount of diesel cause, potentially, such a complex array of issues/problems?
If anyone wishes to answer these questions that would be awesome, if not thats also just fine.
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

Oh one more thing, are there any particulars I should be looking for?
Things like oxygen sensors being damaged, timing going out etc.
Also, how would I know, or how could I tell if any of these things, or other things, are a problem?
Old 08-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The 04/05 civics use wideband 02 sensors that send out a very precise signal, the CEL was triggered because the fuel isn't burning cleanly.

Normally if you put a little bit of diesel in the tank it's not a big deal, just top up the tank to dilute the diesel and your fine. I don't see draining the tank as necessary, but I'm not a mechanic.
Old 08-10-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

diesel requires ultra high compression. something our motors are not.
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

pretty much yeah. its like putting water in the engine. it just wont compress and burn. if there is a tiny amount it might not stall the motor and eventually get out of the system, but im not sure what kind of damage it does to the sensors and fuel system along the way. if you keep driving and the light turns off, youre prolly okay.
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

I found a in-law who is kind'a a mechanic. He clarified that that much fuel should not be a problem... but there is still a chance that it did damage because, as Sl33pyriceboi said "diesel burns at a much higher compression than gas", also it burns at a much higher temp. The problem this causes is that the gas causes the diesel to combust and the extra heat can warp the aluminum heads, it can also cause the cast-aluminum piston to indent on the top, and also the extra pressure can cause the piston rings to lose their tension.
So for anyone who is unfortunate enough to have this problem these are some things to watch for.
As soon as I've run a tank or two through my car I'll post the outcome here for the purpose of enlightening any who may benefit from my mistake.

Thank you everyone for your replies and input.
I hope I've helped this forum out by this thread.
Old 08-12-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Keep putting more gas into the tank to try to dilute it further, I think you will be fine.

Check engine light amount to much ??

I got gas once at a station where the delivery guy had put diesel into the premium tank. The second I hit the pedal I could tell something was wrong, and it only got worse. Took a bit to diagnose but they nailed it down quite well. They ended up emptying the fuel tank. The station paid for the work needed.
Old 08-20-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

so how did it go OP?
Old 08-20-2011
Registered!!

I haven't filled it or started it again.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I do.
I'm still looking into it.
Old 08-21-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

not your dd i see
Old 08-21-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the problem of high compression would be on the moment the piston is going up. The diesel would burn when the piston is already going down or close to the top, probably, after gas ignites. it could create a new inginiton front iside the cyclinder, though so cel could also be knock sensor?
not sure what a more "oily" fuel would do to fuel line and such.
Old 08-22-2011
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Diesel won't hurt it, burn it out and it should be fine. Your car is in no way the first one. I have had several ocassions to see this first hand. That much will not be a problem. Top it off to dilute it. .1 a gallon in 13 gallons is not very much at all. Gas engines will run on diesel, just crappy. The lack of response etc has to do with the different burn characteristics. If you had alot in there I would be concerned with the cat convertor more than anything. Gas engines running on diesel smoke like there is no tomorrow. It would stop up a convertor in short order, but like said though, a tiny amount like you put in it is no big deal and definately not worth the trouble to drain the tank.
Old 08-22-2011
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

To add to that. Diesel exhaust temps are not that high guys. It only gets high when there is a lack of air, or too much fuel. Not only that when it is running like crap to begin with high temperature are not even a remote concern. I have years of training and experience specifically in diesel and can all but gaurantee this.

By the way I know this post is a week or two old. Posted for info for any one that actually searches....
OP what was the outcome?

Last edited by johndeerebones; 08-22-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

^thats why people burn trash/brush piles with diesel instead of gasoline.
Old 08-25-2011
Registered!!

I've topped off with regular gas last night drove about 20 miles -- ran a little crappy -- the check engine light did not go off. I drove about 10 miles this morning, stopped shut the engine off, got coffee, started the car and no light came on. I drove around, about 30 miles the car is running great.

Thanks to all for the support.

I'm posting a edit in the first post of this thread so it can be found easily in case someone searches for this topic.

Last edited by taltho; 08-25-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear everything is back as it should be
Old 08-27-2011
Registered!!

awesome thanks for the update