7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Halo projector... good or bullshit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011
:3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crescent is on a distinguished road
Halo projector... good or bullshit?

Well i thought about buying some, i really like em, they do look good and IMO from what i can read they are "supposed" to be good and well working. But ive seen some crappy reviews about them :| could anyone "light" my way ()

here are those i wanted to put on my red civic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...ht_5258wt_1048

actually those (they are cheaper but no pics)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-03...item53d7cb5f21
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Halo projector... good or bullshit?

completely garbage.
Old 08-07-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Dont xriceboyx have some halo projectors? lolololol
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Some eople use LEDs, others CFLs. They look nice, but that's just one more thing to fix/replace WHEN they go bad.
Old 08-07-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iSharix
Dont xriceboyx have some halo projectors? lolololol
always hating on my ****. And you wonder why I never talk about cars with you anymore -__-

back on topic.. I do have angel eyes, but I installed CCFL rings in my TYC projectors. Most of the time, actually, can't think of a set that doesn't follow this, aftermarket projectors suck at light output, and the sealing surface between the front lens and the housing sucks, too, leading to fogging when you wash your car, rapid temp changes, cold weather out, etc..

My headlights, on the other hand, have an HID retrofit installed, so the light output doesn't suck. My CCFL angel eyes have seen snow, rain, 110+ degree temps, and everything in between, and they still light up just fine.
Old 08-07-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

tycs ftw, with hid projectors ofcourse lol
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Don't get them... i spent a long time deciding whether to get halo projectors or not. I ended up retrofitting my original headlights and putting a CCFL ring on them... the light output will be much better and i find the ccfls are fuller / brighter than the leds.

heres my car after the retro:

Name:  IMG_6620.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  36.8 KB

throw on some eyebrows:

Name:  Ottawa-20110627-00009.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  105.9 KB

Now you're driving like a boss! (imagine there being a white ring around the projectors in my headlights, pretty nice no?)

Here's a pic with the halo ... this is a terrible picture but it's the only one i can get with my phone because i can't adjust light settings. I'll try to get a better picture, they look really nice.

Name:  IMG_6625.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  25.5 KB

Last edited by DarkSouljur; 08-08-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-08-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

That looks pretty good, eh? Canadian Props.
Old 08-08-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

now I feel the need to show mine off...

Name:  IMG_3179.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  28.3 KB

CCFL angel eyes in TYC projectors.
Old 08-08-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the park lights are so nice but what about the hid projector being yellow in comparison. you still have the oem 4300k bulbs i think?
Old 08-08-2011
Administrator
Administrator

HIDs aren't on in that pic, just parking lights + angel eye.. And I never really noticed the color difference until you pointed it out. Then again, kinda like HIDs warming up, I found the CCFL angel eyes need a few seconds to warm up too, to achieve their "full whiteness."

Also, I kinda wanna buy a new set of TYCs just to have spare parts, really just so the front lenses aren't beat to ****... But that'd be another $130 or so...

and I have 50W 5000k in my retro
Old 08-08-2011

thanks for the tips guys those TYC + Angel eye looks real good :O i love it, so the tyc are not crappy head lights? and how do you isntall the angel eyes? how do they stay in place ? :P thanks
Old 08-08-2011
Premium Member

tyc is good except the lo beam projector. gotta swap it out for something better.
Old 08-08-2011

sorry whats a low beam projector? :3 im a total noob at headlights -.-" i presume its what projects the low beam light forward, but where is it ? :P
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Reflectors are chrome painted plastic that reflects light outwards, projectors are made of glass and project light outwards basically do the same thing but projectors just do it better

A retrofit is when you put / replace a projector in your headlights.

This picture shows it:

Name:  IMG_6620.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  36.8 KB

The glass things in my reflector housing are projectors.

Most cars / aftermarket headlights that come with projectors have a low beam projector, and a high beam reflector because projectors concentrate light more while reflectors scatter light. My projector is bi-xenon which just means it has high and low beam in one.
Old 08-08-2011
Premium Member

its the one that makes the normal driving beam in traffic. the hi beam is the reflector part (larger chrome circle) for seeing far away and cant be used in traffic because it throws light everywhere. the lo beam is a projector unit inside that has a chrome bowl and shield to block light above the cutoff. its the smaller circle area with a glass lens in front. the rest is hidden inside the headlamp.

the largest circle is hi beam with H1 halogen bulb. smaller circle next to it with lens is the lo beam projector, orange part is turn signal, tiny circle at the top is small park light.

this is what is behind the lo beam area. the actual full projector unit and the bulb goes in the back. light is focused in the front by the lens.

and when its installed in the tyc headlamp with the front cover removed. the stock tyc comes with a halogen projector (terrible one at that) but it looks similar to the hid valeo (audi A4) projector i swapped in. they are very similar in size.

Name:  valeod2sintycsmtp-6.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  42.9 KB

with the lo beam on, you get a nice light beam with defined cutoff to block light from hitting other drivers.

Name:  comprtrocpwfogft-7.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  15.4 KB

these are the oem osram xenarc d2s hid bulbs used in the projector and most other oem projectors as well.

Name:  cimg0829l.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  118.7 KB
Old 08-08-2011

kk that cleared a lil of my questions thanks guys.

so what you are saying is, dont buy projector unless you wana put a HID kit in it right? :P but then again i dont have cash for hid nor the time to install them :|

and even tho, that seems alot of work to replace everything D: (not that im lazy but college starts in about 2-3 weeks and i wont have much time off XD)
Old 08-08-2011
Premium Member

yeah its a diy project. dont get projectors and use em like that because they will suck big time. the nice thing is the tycs use a 3457 turn bulb so you have lots of choices for cooler bulbs. i just swapped in some osram diadem bulbs (blue when off, amber when on).

Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Crescent
kk that cleared a lil of my questions thanks guys.

so what you are saying is, dont buy projector unless you wana put a HID kit in it right? :P but then again i dont have cash for hid nor the time to install them :|

and even tho, that seems alot of work to replace everything D: (not that im lazy but college starts in about 2-3 weeks and i wont have much time off XD)
Well most people who retrofit do it so that they can use HIDs, i mean i guess you don't really have to. But HIDs aren't expensive at all, i got mine for $30 but you have to make a wiring harness to support the power that the HIDs will generate and the stock wiring harness isn't enough. I think i paid around $40 for parts, so $70 for HIDs which isn't bad. It does take some time it's not a small project but it's not really too complicating either.
Old 08-09-2011
Registered!!

rberrey is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought JDM halo projectors a few months ago, put 8000k hid"s havnt had one problem, and they are bright as ****
Old 08-10-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rberrey
i bought JDM halo projectors a few months ago, put 8000k hid"s havnt had one problem, and they are bright as ****
oh maddddddd JDM yo.....
Old 08-10-2011

i see :O so, where should i buy my HID's ? ebay? which one isnt "fraud" or bullshit? i want some 6000k thanks (btw i can buy an HID kit for my stock headlight housing and install it for them and THEN later on buy those tyc and everything will be fitting perfect, right?
Old 08-10-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rberrey
Yeah but i bet you blind the hell out of everyone on the road ... i hate when people don't properly setup their hids.

i see :O so, where should i buy my HID's ? ebay? which one isnt "fraud" or bullshit? i want some 6000k thanks (btw i can buy an HID kit for my stock headlight housing and install it for them and THEN later on buy those tyc and everything will be fitting perfect, right?
You could get it off ebay. I bought mine from DDM Tuning. I'm running 6000k hids from there and they're amazing! White with a hint of blue.

You wouldn't be able to use HIDs in your headlights then put the same ones in your TYC's. Our stock headlights use H4 bulbs which are dual filament bulbs so they have a high beam and a low beam function, where as the TYC's have a seperate high beam and low beam which means there would be no use for an H4 bulb in the TYC. Most aftermarket projectors use H1 as the low beam. If you really wanted to you could put HIDs in the stock reflector housing, but you'd have to make sure you go and aim them so you don't blind anyone.

And just incase you didn't know what H1, H4 or whatever are it's just the size of the bulb ... throwing that out there cuz i didn't know what it was when i first started here
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member

hid kit in ebay projectors = bad idea.
Old 08-10-2011

is it possible to get some TYC or halo projector with both hi/lo beam in a single socket(h4)?(like the stock civic ones)
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member

im not sure what you mean. the tyc and most others have an h4 adapter that splits power to both lo and hi beam. basically plug and play to the stock h4 plug. not sure why you would only want one combined instead of two separate.
Old 08-10-2011

OOOOH i thought the tyc headlights were H(idk the number but i thought it wasnt h4)lowbeam and H1 highbeam O_Oidk why XD! so can i get an hid kit that is plug and play for those aswell? :O

And if i "recapitulate" ... on the TYC i would need to replace the projector? and that imply to rip the headlight apart, correct? so where should i get a new(better) projector and how much would it cost. anything else that i need to do? those hibeams... is there any HID kit for them. do i really need an hid kit for them, do ppl usually get an HID for them?

sorry for all the questions XD im just wondering if its worth the trouble :3

EDIT:
Oh yeah, can i put some angel eye in those tyc, cause im getting the same as yours, Gearbox

Last edited by Crescent; 08-10-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2011
EM2ti

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
now I feel the need to show mine off...

CCFL angel eyes in TYC projectors.
That's pretty sweet looking.
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member

the tycs use h1 bulbs for lo and hi beam, but they are hooked to an h4 adapter so you just plug it to the stock harness. the hi beam is okay stock, not great but not terrible. i hardly ever use mine. the lo beam is tricky, since the space is very small, but valeo h7 halogen projectors or valeo d2s projectors will both fit without having to cut the housing. they usually come from older audi A4 around 1999-2001 i believe. almost always can find a good pair on ebay. i think globalheadlights2 on ebay still sells em and they are the best condition. around $100 for a pair i think.
Old 08-10-2011
Registered!!

OOOOH i thought the tyc headlights were H(idk the number but i thought it wasnt h4)lowbeam and H1 highbeam O_Oidk why XD! so can i get an hid kit that is plug and play for those aswell? :O

And if i "recapitulate" ... on the TYC i would need to replace the projector? and that imply to rip the headlight apart, correct? so where should i get a new(better) projector and how much would it cost. anything else that i need to do? those hibeams... is there any HID kit for them. do i really need an hid kit for them, do ppl usually get an HID for them?

sorry for all the questions XD im just wondering if its worth the trouble :3

EDIT:
Oh yeah, can i put some angel eye in those tyc, cause im getting the same as yours, Gearbox
HID Kit's are all plug and play.

If you want an HID kit in your TYC Projectors you're going to have to retrofit the headlights which means not only taking apart the headlight assembly, but modifying it so that a projector will fit (cutting, etc.) www.theretrofitsource.com is where you're going to find projectors, and the prices range from like $120+ for a pair (depending on which ones you get). You don't need an HID kit for your highbeams, but when you wire your headlights you're going to want to keep the lowbeams on at all times, even when you use your highbeam on or you'll wear out the HIDs alot quicker.

I didn't go with the TYC retrofit because of the modifying, i figured it would be too much work and i didn't want to risk messing anything up. If you retrofit your stock housing you can get the Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon projectors. They're H1 bulbs, have a high and a low beam function, and best of all ... they're PnP in your stock headlights, no modifying necessary!

As for getting the TYC's without the HID you'd be better off keeping your stock headlights, you'll get more light out of them.

Quick Reply: Halo projector... good or bullshit?