7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 Civic Ex Alarm Problem I Think.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chuyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2001 Civic Ex Alarm Problem I Think.

When i got my civic it was in great shape nothing was wrong. Now my problem is odd and no one has been able to help me. My key fob use to work well (lights would flash and door would lock) Now when pressing the button the car will not flash lights nor will it lock or unlock. Then one day i turned my car on and locked the door manually from the inside. But when i tried to unlock it from the inside manually it would unlock and re-lock within seconds trapping me inside. I tried pulling the lock up with my hand but it wouldn't budge. The only way i was able to get out was turning my car on, lowering the window and sticking my key out and unlocking it from the outside.

Another thing is that the green key that would show up on the dash is not popping out anymore. I know it use to come on for a few seconds or flash after i took the key out. Now it dosent even come up at all.

Im sure its not the key battery because i replaced it because i thought that was the problem and also all fusses are intact unless im missing something. I havnt touched a single thing and this started one day when i opened the door with the key and it locked itself before the driver side door was shut. Please help this is causing me a lot of streesssss
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

Re: 2001 Civic Ex Alarm Problem I Think.

Has this been an issue to anybody
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Sorta had a similar problem. Start by disabling your alarm by pressing the valet switch or however your alarm is turned off. This will take another variable out of the equation. Use your spare key to determine if there is an issue with your main key's coding that may cause that key not to flash. Let me know how it goes, then we can better figure out the problem.
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

The thing is that i only received 1 key from the previous owner. I did try to turn the alarm off but nothing. The key fob blinks but it doesn't do anything to the car. Is there a way to manualy turn it off?

What were the symptoms that u were experiencing.
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

The button should be under the dash somewhere.
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

You should have a button to press. For my alarm, you would hold it for 10 seconds while turning on the car. Alarm light should stay constantly on after that, meaning your in valet mode. Where is your light located? You can go to the dealer if you have only one key. If they're cool, they'll read your key for no charge.

I had an issue with my actuator that caused my alarm to set constantly, because it thought the doors were locked. Then it would lock the doors when I wanted to get out.
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

A button? I know it must be frustrating but how does this button look exactly. The previous owners really messed this car up from the inside nothing is where it should be. I just found a bulb that seems to be the one ur talking about its just hanging connected to the wire but it wont turn on or stay on after holding the button
Old 08-07-2011
EM2ti

They're all different. Mine is a little microswitch behind the bulb. I've seen toggle switches too.

Does your car alarm still work? Does the horn sound when you open a door or bang on it?
Old 08-07-2011
Registered!!

No it dosnt. it does not even flash like before when i bang on it.
Old 08-08-2011
EM2ti

This ain't gonna be easy...

I think your first step is to manually deactiviate that alarm (without the key fob). You can try to trace wires or go to a stereo shop and have them do it. Then troubleshoot.

If you can't get that done you can try to troubleshoot it this way:

By themselves, the car's OEM power locks basically consist of the door switches, actuators, key fob and the reciever. I would start with take the driver's side door panel and disconnect the actuator. Without a schematic, it's hard for me to tell what wire(s) send a hot voltage to the actuator. There should also be a ground. Thoeretically, you should only get voltage when the key fob is pressed or the door switches are pressed. Up or down. If you get a constant hot (possible bad switch - not sure if this would be a long term issue, because the actuator would eventually burn out) or a intermittent voltage (your alarm could be sending out a lock signal). Either way, now you will be able to get in and out of your car now, manually, until you find the root cause.