7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Air Intake Questions

Old 08-02-2011
CivicChick2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all
Question Air Intake Questions

So I was wondering about air intake.. i was browsing around ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-0...Q5fAccessories

and i was wondering.. do any of you have this? is this any good?

i just dont know how to tell whats good and whats not good..

if you have changed urs, what kind do u have?
Old 08-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Air Intake Questions

I think Kenny has that one.

The pipe is pretty simple, it'll effect the sound and somewhat the actual performance gains, but most of us just focus on filter quality.
Old 08-02-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Its probably ok. The concerns you should have are the gauge of metal. If it's too thin it may get hotter quicker negating any cooling you may be getting. If it's really cheap you might bend it maneuvering it around. If it has a cheap coating it may rust or start to look old quickly, if the welds aren't good it may break after it gets hot and cold several times.

Filter quality is most important. You aren't going to get much out of it performance-wise. I'm not sure what kind of noise it'll make, it might sound jank.
Old 08-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeap, I have that one

Warning:
If you have lead foot, may god help you, because you will mash the gas a lot with an intake...

Not really any noticeable performance gains, but it does sound cool
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-7th-gen.html
Old 08-02-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Yeap, I have that one

Warning:
If you have lead foot, may god help you, because you will mash the gas a lot with an intake...

so how is the filter on this one? is it alright? or would i have to buy a different one?

and yes, i do have a lead foot, and i also rev up the engine here and there bc i have a stick shift. lol.

ive seen that vid of urs before (nice vid btw) and it does sound good. not too loud, but noticable for sure.
Old 08-02-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I think Kenny has that one.

The pipe is pretty simple, it'll effect the sound and somewhat the actual performance gains, but most of us just focus on filter quality.
where would i find filters for this one? or i guess ones that would fit this one?
Old 08-02-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by pheaton
Its probably ok. The concerns you should have are the gauge of metal. If it's too thin it may get hotter quicker negating any cooling you may be getting. If it's really cheap you might bend it maneuvering it around. If it has a cheap coating it may rust or start to look old quickly, if the welds aren't good it may break after it gets hot and cold several times.

Filter quality is most important. You aren't going to get much out of it performance-wise. I'm not sure what kind of noise it'll make, it might sound jank.
so looking at the one i put up.. would u recommend it or not? that's what im lookin for is people who know about this stuff, cuz i dont. lol..

the noise sounds pretty good. its not loud and annoying, and it doesnt sound like a pissed off bee. watch Kenny's vid ^ and see what u think.
Old 08-02-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Yeap, I have that one

Warning:

Haha. I've wasted a lot of gas because of that. Sometimes I think my intake is too loud. It drowns out my exhaust, for sure. It does help when you need to hear revs at speed.

My EX-Mag exhaust is a little mellow (comparatively speaking), and the sound dies off above 4K. You can't alwasys keep your eyes on the tach, when on the track or in my case, carving. Need to keep your eyes on the road, for some odd reason.

I used to bounce off the hard stop constantly before the intake. The engine and exhaust were too quiet, giving no indication of where you were in the RPM range. With an intake (mine anyways) theres a warble at the top end. Great audio cue to shift.
Old 08-02-2011
CivicChick2001

good? or bad? what do u think?

http://youtu.be/MbGtfwLjReE
Old 08-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

You cant go wrong with AEM's V2

But for $300, i wouldnt buy it brand new.

The filter on the ebay one isnt great, but it kinda gets the job done.
I would recommend you buying a better filter.
But if you dont mind, it can prolly last you a while before needing to switch filters

I've washed my filter like 3 times already, it does filter a bunch of crap out
Old 08-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

erm, well, the intake ones are pretty much one of the most asked questions... Of course due to that many threads just gets kicked to the side, so hard to find a good explanative thread.
AEM dry flow filters. Any pipe will do, some made from PVC or similars.
If rain too much where you live, SRI, not CAI.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ir-intake.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...am-intake.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...r-intakes.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 08-02-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2011
CivicChick2001

You cant go wrong with AEM's V2

But for $300, i wouldnt buy it brand new.

The filter on the ebay one isnt great, but it kinda gets the job done.
I would recommend you buying a better filter.
But if you dont mind, it can prolly last you a while before needing to switch filters

I've washed my filter like 3 times already, it does filter a bunch of crap out
dang. for $300, i'd rather save and get an Injen air intake. lol nevermind on that one..

so with urs, do u have a different filter? or are u using the same one as it came with? is this the one u have exactly?
Old 08-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

concerning why i commented about raining, here goes my answer in an older thread:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
SRI then.
CAI tends to get thirsty and the first water puddle it will act like a camel in the desert for 5 days without water. Ssssslurrrrrp!
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-ram-air.html

about the filter, it's answered above
Old 08-02-2011
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

I have the "secret weapon" Weapon R. It sags, because the bracket they gave me didn't hold and the air temp sensor is barely in there, but it works. It sounds awesome. The best part is that it's quiet unless you floor it. Shift early, shift often. . That's my motto I guess, haha.
Old 08-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Dont mind the sticker...or the velcro...
The velcro is to prevent rubbing issues with the hood
The K&N is a Carb sticker (To fake a legal intake with a non legal one lol)

Name:  DSC_0695.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  282.9 KB
Old 08-03-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Here's a couple of pics of my AEM V2 with a 4" K&N X-Treme Staight Cone Filter, from a while back.

I'm a bit of a rebel here, with my filter choice. AEM Dryflow is a better design, but I am stuck in my ways, dating back to my first car mod. Swapped the oil bath air cleaner in my 64 Beetle, for dual weber 34 ICTs topped with K&N cones - of course.

I gave away my dryflow filter, the same day I bought the SRI. Old habits are hard to break, I guess.

Camera phone quality, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	81483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Side.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	81484  

Last edited by maxtierney; 08-07-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

weapon-r with aem dryflow here. the intake is a bit of a fail with all the custom work and the pipe prolly being too big at 3 inches, so i would say youre better off with a brand name intake like aem or K&N (with aem dryflow filter ofcourse).

Old 08-03-2011
CivicChick2001

Dont mind the sticker...or the velcro...
The velcro is to prevent rubbing issues with the hood
The K&N is a Carb sticker (To fake a legal intake with a non legal one lol)
how do i find out what is legal and illegal? and if its illegal, where do i find a sticker? lol
Old 08-03-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
concerning why i commented about raining, here goes my answer in an older thread:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-ram-air.html

about the filter, it's answered above
lol.. i think ill stick with the SRI.. from reading that and from what ive heard, the CAI's just seem like more of an issue to deal with. and i'd either be living in the pacific northwest, or the southeast.. so i think SRI would be aight..

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Here's a couple of pics of my AEM V2 with a 4" K&N X-Treme Staight Cone Filter, from a while back.
I'm a bit of a rebel here, with my filter choice. AEM Dryflow is a better design, but I am stuck in my ways, dating back to my first car mod. Swapped the oil bath air cleaner in my 64 Beetle, for dual weber 34 ICTs topped with K&N cones - of course.
I gave away my dryflow filter, the same day I bought the SRI. Old habits are hard to break, I guess.
dang. ur car is clean and sharp. and that dont look bad at all. and while i'd love to have AEM, i just dont have the $ for it right now.. i gotta stick to the lil bit cheaper stuff for now. what do you think about that one i posted from ebay? or do u know of any others that are good quality, but not so much money?

Originally Posted by gearbox
weapon-r with aem dryflow here. the intake is a bit of a fail with all the custom work and the pipe prolly being too big at 3 inches, so i would say youre better off with a brand name intake like aem or K&N (with aem dryflow filter ofcourse).
im guessin thats the same one "pheaton" ^ has that he was talking about. have u had any problems with yours? and if u dont mind me asking.. how much does a weapon-r cost these days? it looks good for sure, but usually the better it looks, the more it costs.. lol.. and also, do those aem dryflow filter's fit on all SRI's? regardless if its aem of not..?
Old 08-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

^ I just realized that steve has a relocated fuse box...interesting O.o

Anyways, you cant just go buy a sticker, most name brands come with it if you buy it from an authorized dealer. (AEM, K&N, etc)

I got my intake with one of the stickers luckily
Ebay intakes almost never come with carb stickers, and are not carb legal
Old 08-03-2011
CivicChick2001

ive also noticed that all of you dont have that cover thing that i have infront of the engine.. im guessin its like a header cover or something.. is this thing needed? or can it be removed? (if ur just stickin with stock).. it looks a hell of a lot better how all of u have it than mine does.. here's a pic of what im talkin about..

Old 08-03-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

if you want to drop $320 you could buy a k&n like mine. they look sick imo and sound mad awesome. but the price can nearly buy you a stage 1 cam, lol. so buy used if you can or go ebay.

Old 08-03-2011
CivicChick2001

^ I just realized that steve has a relocated fuse box...interesting O.o

Anyways, you cant just go buy a sticker, most name brands come with it if you buy it from an authorized dealer. (AEM, K&N, etc)

I got my intake with one of the stickers luckily
Ebay intakes almost never come with carb stickers, and are not carb legal
so if i want to stay legal, basically i have to go with a name brand and stay away from ebay?
Old 08-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by civicchick2001
ive also noticed that all of you dont have that cover thing that i have infront of the engine.. im guessin its like a header cover or something.. is this thing needed? or can it be removed? (if ur just stickin with stock).. it looks a hell of a lot better how all of u have it than mine does.. here's a pic of what im talkin about..

Technically, it shouldn't be removed because the stock cast iron header holds heat unlike a steel aftermarket header and therefore it has the potential to burn the paint on your hood without the heat shield. I removed mine, gave my stock header a couple coats of high temp paint and I've had no trouble, You could also use that paint as a base coat on a cheap ebay intake if you wanted to give it a bit of insulation.
Old 08-03-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by mac25
if you want to drop $320 you could buy a k&n like mine. they look sick imo and sound mad awesome. but the price can nearly buy you a stage 1 cam, lol. so buy used if you can or go ebay.
dang, that looks clean and sharp too! see? i need to catch up! all of these look pretty sweet! and i like the way k&n looks too.. kinda has that flow right beside the engine look.. and if it will be better to just save up for a good one, then that's just what ill have to do.. i like what all else you have done too, with the blue accent pieces everywhere.. totally somethin i'd do
Old 08-03-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Technically, it shouldn't be removed because the stock cast iron header holds heat unlike a steel aftermarket header and therefore it has the potential to burn the paint on your hood without the heat shield. I removed mine, gave my stock header a couple coats of high temp paint and I've had no trouble, You could also use that paint as a base coat on a cheap ebay intake if you wanted to give it a bit of insulation.
alrighty then. lol.. ill be leavin that thing alone for now then.. i'd like to get a new one of those too, but that's a little further down the road.

thanks for lettin me know about that though .. i was sittin here lookin at all the pics wonderin why mine is the only one that looks different. lol
Old 08-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by civicchick2001
It's your header's heat shield
Some people remove it, some people keep it on, i just recently painted mine, which looks better...
But i broke the bottom bolt, so it rattles when i drive, i took it off.

I could buy a .50c bolt and replace it...but I just bought a new header, so i'm prolly gonna keep it off

It looks good painted
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4547911
Old 08-03-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

thxxxx =D. total cost intake $320, neon tubes $50, paint $60, hoses $50, battery wiring $30, total = $510
Old 08-03-2011
CivicChick2001

It's your header's heat shield
Some people remove it, some people keep it on, i just recently painted mine, which looks better...
But i broke the bottom bolt, so it rattles when i drive, i took it off.

I could buy a .50c bolt and replace it...but I just bought a new header, so i'm prolly gonna keep it off

It looks good painted
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4547911
yeah that definetly doesnt look bad.. are they a pain in the butt to get off to paint? i wouldnt mind it painted if i cant get a new header just yet.. good job btw!
Old 08-03-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by mac25
thxxxx =D. total cost intake $320, neon tubes $50, paint $60, hoses $50, battery wiring $30, total = $510
come make mine pretty! lol

i just love all that blue! when i get some money comin in again, i might just be askin ya where u got all this stuff, cuz i'd love to do this kinda thing to mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Intake Questions