7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Air Intake Questions

Old 08-08-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Air Intake Questions

For reference

Old 08-08-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I might try it. Why not?

Last edited by maxtierney; 08-08-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicchick2001
So I was wondering about air intake.. i was browsing around ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BCP-0...Q5fAccessories

and i was wondering.. do any of you have this? is this any good?

i just dont know how to tell whats good and whats not good..

if you have changed urs, what kind do u have?
For a far amount less, you could get a Weapon R SRI. ILl try to find the link , but I got mine for no more than $190

**Edit**
http://vr-speed.com/store/weaponr-se...1-p-22853.html

Last edited by chozobody; 08-08-2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Found link
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

my choice would definitely still be this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-F...-/200464469449
Old 08-08-2011
CivicChick2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by maxtierney
I'm still looking for the DIY.

I've got the next best thing, AEMs Installation Instructions. Use this as guide for what to expect.

Thanks BTW.

sweet. thanks for that. ill keep that for when i do this.
Old 08-08-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chozobody
For a far amount less, you could get a Weapon R SRI. ILl try to find the link , but I got mine for no more than $190

**Edit**
http://vr-speed.com/store/weaponr-se...1-p-22853.html
i like how that looks ALOT. and not a bad price either.. thanks for finding that for me..

Originally Posted by MindBomber
my choice would definitely still be this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-F...-/200464469449
yeah, that's not bad either.. dont you have the weapon-R one ^ up there?

---So out of alll of these, which would you say is the best one to get? And what are you guys' thoughts on Injen Air Intakes? that was my first initial one i wanted to get bc i just love how it sounds and looks in the engine bay. and again, im not looking for performance. i dont drive a race car here.. lol.. just tryin to make it purr pretty. anyways, let me know
and thanks again to all of you for the help.
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

i like how that looks ALOT. and not a bad price either.. thanks for finding that for me..

---So out of alll of these, which would you say is the best one to get? And what are you guys' thoughts on Injen Air Intakes? that was my first initial one i wanted to get bc i just love how it sounds and looks in the engine bay. and again, im not looking for performance. i dont drive a race car here.. lol.. just tryin to make it purr pretty. anyways, let me know
Personally, I love my Weapon R. I cant speak for everyone, but it sounds pretty damn good, and I swear I could feel a difference. (Probably just a placebo, but who cares) You could pair the intake with a magnaflow catback, and it would purr nicely. One thing to note though, your intake will look a little different than the one in the photo. Its on its third redesign. Ill post some pictures today to show you what mine looks like.

I also want to note, that my Megan strut bar still fits with my Weapon R intake without hitting my hood.
Old 08-08-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by chozobody
Personally, I love my Weapon R. I cant speak for everyone, but it sounds pretty damn good, and I swear I could feel a difference. (Probably just a placebo, but who cares) You could pair the intake with a magnaflow catback, and it would purr nicely. One thing to note though, your intake will look a little different than the one in the photo. Its on its third redesign. Ill post some pictures today to show you what mine looks like.

I also want to note, that my Megan strut bar still fits with my Weapon R intake without hitting my hood.
i dunno if i have ever heard one.. ill have to see if i can find a video or soemthing online.. and yeah, i'd appreciate a pic of it.. i would, in time, wanna get a strut bar too, and i'd want one low enough not to hit anything. from that pic though, it looks pretty damn good.

hey - since we are on the subject - could you tell me more about the magnaflow catback? what is the difference between a catback and an entire exhaust system? or is there one.. i know this might be a dumb question. but hey.. if i dont know, might as well ask so i do know.. thanks for any help
Old 08-08-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

As the name says
Catback = all the way from catalytic converter to exhaust tip
Axelback = from your rear axle to exaust tip (basically muffler only)

A complete exhaust setup would probably start from the downpipe, to the kitty, to the muffler and exhaust tip.
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

i dunno if i have ever heard one.. ill have to see if i can find a video or soemthing online.. and yeah, i'd appreciate a pic of it.. i would, in time, wanna get a strut bar too, and i'd want one low enough not to hit anything. from that pic though, it looks pretty damn good.

hey - since we are on the subject - could you tell me more about the magnaflow catback? what is the difference between a catback and an entire exhaust system? or is there one.. i know this might be a dumb question. but hey.. if i dont know, might as well ask so i do know.. thanks for any help
A catback exhaust replaces everything that comes after the catalytic converter. A full exhaust setup though, would include a high flow header, downpipe, highflow cat or test pipe, then the catback exhaust. With a catback, your gains will be minimal on our cars, but with everything, your going to give your civic alot more breathing room at the higher RPM range.
Old 08-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Nope, I have the stock intake
Since I've been planning to swap on and off since I bought my car, I don't have any engine mods. Just a bunch of k-series parts in my closet.

I like the plastic one because it performs better than any other intake and not that many people have it. Purely from a sound and cosmetic perspective, the weapon-r is one of my favourites next to the v2.
Old 08-08-2011
CivicChick2001

sweet. see? didnt know.. and now i know. thanks for helpin me out..

so.. when you say.. You could pair the intake with a magnaflow catback.. you obviously would have the intake set up.. and then with this catback, you would have that set up all the way from the cat to the exhaust, to the muffler? or would you also need a muffler and what-not?

what im tryin to do is figure out the whole system that i'd want. all the things needed for it, and what parts are needed together.

and also, where does a header play into all of this? is this just optional for more power? or more air flow?

i know im playin 20 questions right now, but i really do just wanna know and learn all this stuff instead of being blind and asking everyone what the hell things are.. lol
Old 08-08-2011
CivicChick2001

maxtierney - i was lookin back at ur pics towards the beginning of this again and was wondering, what material is your intake made out of?
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yo you gotta love two scoops
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1019& transactionid=1312848152-693751202&posted_by=lowlife9_www.civicforums.com&y outube_video_id=_MUKIBfGN7c[/autostream]
Old 08-08-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by lowlife9
yo you gotta love two scoops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MUKIBfGN7c
was this for my thread or the crazy videos thread? haha cracked me up though!
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i got two scoops

Last edited by lowlife9; 09-29-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

I use my scoop for ice cream and thats about it.
Old 08-08-2011
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Air Intake Questions

I was thinking about how frikin sick it would look if a half inclined mechanic would design a scoop that could be opened and closed at will from inside the cab. Closed- no water, no snow, no Powerrrr. Open, lots of fresh air, mm.. mm powerrrr. The only time you ever see this is on superchargers. I wonder.......
Old 08-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

For reference

wrong direction - aerodynamically, close to the windshield is low pressure - it's more fit with an outtake than an intake :P
Old 08-09-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney - i was lookin back at ur pics towards the beginning of this again and was wondering, what material is your intake made out of?
It's powdercoated gunmetal, double walled aluminum. Some heat protection, but it still gets hot.

As for your header question, the exhaust pulses in sinusoidal waves. If designed correctly, each pulse of exhaust gas will aid in pulling the next exhaust pulse away from the engine. Typically, this occurs at 90 degrees in a 4 cycle engine. The DC Header, like the one in my car has equal length tubes that converge into a single merged collector, which creates a smooth transition into the cat coupling. It also has the same diameter openings as the exhaust ports on the engine head, reducing turbulence and maintaining optimal pressure, required for extraction of heat and gases. Although the gains from an aftermarket header are minimal on D17A2, the design pulls heat away from the engine better than the OEM exhaust manifold (hence, no heat shield) and is a better design than stock, at higher RPMs. The OEM manifold is an unequal length extractor tube design, with an unmerged collector. Think four drinking straws shoved into a can of Coke with different lengths vs. four equal length straws that have the ends cut at 45 degree angles, glued together, then molded into one big straw, then custom-fitted onto a coke can top. Which design do you think would give each person drinking, the same amount of liquid with each slurp?

Forgot to mention that the reason why gains are so minimal on a stock engine is that the D17 is designed to save gas. Duh, I know. But simply stated, the intake and exhaust cycles are designed with minimal waste, no overlap, just enough to burn the gas completely and extract. Simple and efficient. The intake and header don't really come into play until the profiles of the cam are changed to allow more air in and the exhaust pulse can pull the next pulse sooner. More air in and faster gas out equals POWER. That's why the stage 1 cam makes so much of a difference. Don't even think about putting in a cam without upgrading your intake, header and exhaust or IHE. That would be cutting your potential short. Only thing missing is more fuel. That's where a tune with a computer comes into play. More gains. But that's another topic.

Last edited by maxtierney; 08-09-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-09-2011
EM2ti

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
wrong direction - aerodynamically, close to the windshield is low pressure - it's more fit with an outtake than an intake :P
You're right, should be closer to the front or right at the cowl.
Old 08-09-2011
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

Thats why I love the hood bolt bushings idea im doing that .
Old 08-09-2011
CivicChick2001

It's powdercoated gunmetal, double walled aluminum. Some heat protection, but it still gets hot.

As for your header question, the exhaust pulses in sinusoidal waves. If designed correctly, each pulse of exhaust gas will aid in pulling the next exhaust pulse away from the engine. Typically, this occurs at 90 degrees in a 4 cycle engine. The DC Header, like the one in my car has equal length tubes that converge into a single merged collector, which creates a smooth transition into the cat coupling. It also has the same diameter openings as the exhaust ports on the engine head, reducing turbulence and maintaining optimal pressure, required for extraction of heat and gases. Although the gains from an aftermarket header are minimal on D17A2, the design pulls heat away from the engine better than the OEM exhaust manifold (hence, no heat shield) and is a better design than stock, at higher RPMs. The OEM manifold is an unequal length extractor tube design, with an unmerged collector. Think four drinking straws shoved into a can of Coke with different lengths vs. four equal length straws that have the ends cut at 45 degree angles, glued together, then molded into one big straw, then custom-fitted onto a coke can top. Which design do you think would give each person drinking, the same amount of liquid with each slurp?

Forgot to mention that the reason why gains are so minimal on a stock engine is that the D17 is designed to save gas. Duh, I know. But simply stated, the intake and exhaust cycles are designed with minimal waste, no overlap, just enough to burn the gas completely and extract. Simple and efficient. The intake and header don't really come into play until the profiles of the cam are changed to allow more air in and the exhaust pulse can pull the next pulse sooner. More air in and faster gas out equals POWER. That's why the stage 1 cam makes so much of a difference. Don't even think about putting in a cam without upgrading your intake, header and exhaust or IHE. That would be cutting your potential short. Only thing missing is more fuel. That's where a tune with a computer comes into play. More gains. But that's another topic.

dang. thank you for all of that.. really taught me something..

i appreciate it a lot
Old 08-09-2011
EM2ti

No worries. You're welcome.

Last edited by maxtierney; 08-09-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

You're right, should be closer to the front or right at the cowl.
The other pics have them on right place, so it's ok
Sinusoidal... Are you another dang engineer too?!?
Anyway, fer lower power engines I usually prefer 4-2-1 headers, but not sure how they work with the rev happy hondas... The fact it's hard to find them might answer it tough...4-1 just works for the D17.
Old 08-09-2011
EM2ti

They'll work, just not legal (in CA anyways) - Kinda gets rid of the cat. I'd die to get my hands on a TODA Racing 4-2-1 Header for the K20.

I thought hard about installing the DC 4-2-1 on my D17, but I didn't like the thought of getting my car impounded by the police WHEN I get pulled over again. I'm a magnet for some strange reason. Last ticket I got, was going 70 in a 65. Seriously?

I'm too dumb to be an engineer. Trust me I'm surrounded by them.

Speaking of which, I gotta joke:

How can you tell when an engineer is an Introvert or an Extrovert?

He's an Introvert if he looks at his shoes when he talks to you. He's an Extrovert when he's looking at yours.

TAP TAP TAP Is this thing on? Tough crowd tonight...
Old 08-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Ahhh. The cat...
Yeah,not sure if losing the cat for a 1lbs gain in lower range would be worth :P
Old 08-09-2011
EM2ti

True that, but on a high rev monster like a moded K20 (9000+ RPM), the 4-2-1 design alleviates the pulses counteracting/bouncing back on one another so close to the head, especially with an aggresive cam profile. I wont even get into VTAK. Think of 4 on-ramps onto a single freeway at rush hour within 1/4 mile. Better take that crap further down the road, another mile or so...

This is easy compared to V8s. That's just insane. Pulses vary from 90 to 180 degrees, for each side, crossovers for pressure equalization, etc. Now that takes some skill.
Old 08-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Every time you write something like this I feel like I should find a faq to add it to, outstandingly well put as always.

I enjoyed the engineering joke, they're an odd bunch, despite sharing a number of courses with engineering students I never find myself talking to them. Aside from when they take the time to point out my degree is useless, that is.. who needs marketable skills anyway, pfft!

Old 08-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Every time you write something like this I feel like I should find a faq to add it to, outstandingly well put as always.

I enjoyed the engineering joke, they're an odd bunch, despite sharing a number of courses with engineering students I never find myself talking to them. Aside from when they take the time to point out my degree is useless, that is.. who needs marketable skills anyway, pfft!
HEY!!!!
now you hurt me feelings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Intake Questions