7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

All'round Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011
A scene before your eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balzdpr is on a distinguished road
All'round Advice

I checked out this web sight called ProCivic.com and relized pretty quick that the prices seem a little high. I purchaced a couple of things from them and half of those items where intended for a D17A2 and not a D17A1. That has really pissed me off. Im pretty new to the scene and have more to learn than a special ed freshman. So could any of you'all lead me in the rite direction? Im not looking to commit suicide in my Civic but would like to make everyday driving much more aggressive and fun. When Im ready to shake hands with the reaper I'll buy something with a more insane motor and with greater tuning capabilities. As of now Im running a SOHC D17A1 with nearly stock componants, with an exception of a custom made behind the CAT 2.5 exhaust line welded into a 2.5 ractive exhaust. I have installed a very low grade universal oil cooling kit. Thats it. LOL. Im feeling a little ashamed and a bit intimidated by alot of the machines I have had the pleasure of seeing and learning about here. Again a little help would be cool.
Old 07-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: All'round Advice

Read Read Read. The search button is also your best friend. Go take a look at the DIY section, where easy to follow tutorials have been written by other members.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rself-articles

Everyone on here has been new to this sort of thing at one time in their life. Just dont get discouraged, and get down on yourself. Best advice I can give you though? If your going to do something to your car, make sure its something that isnt crap. Its easier to pay once for something, then having to keep paying for something that was ruined.

Welcome!

Last edited by chozobody; 07-28-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Horrible grammar on my part.
Old 07-29-2011
Registered!!

Bumping for others to chime in.
Old 07-29-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Most d17a2 parts are compatible with d17a1 parts, they just don't list it as such because the product hasn't been tested on an a1.

For less than $1000 you could easily swap to a d17a2 head with stage 1 cam and have the easiest 40hp bump possible on your engine.
Old 07-31-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

No need to feel ashamed. Even though I often feel humbled by the other guys I see at local meets here in San Diego, no one really looks down on anyone's ride. Same goes for this forum. Especially this forum, I should say.

Everyone has to start somewhere. You have basically, a clean slate and are at an advantage of having parts out available and the inforamtion of what's good and bad. Figure out what direction you want to go with your Civic. Stick with it. If you want better handling, follow that path. More of a "look" than performance - EDM, JDM, monochromatic, etc - Same advice. Don't get some chrome 18" wheels and Altezza lights if you are going to get a roof rack and tail foglights. Doesn't make sense.

If you want an engine with more pep, save your dollars and don't nickel and dime yourself to death with stuff you may not need. If you want up to 150bhp, I/H/E, cam, pulley, cat, lightened flywheel, tune, etc, will work. But, more than that, you should focus your efforts into saving for boost or swap. Swaps are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day. In SoCal, people buy K20A3s for under 500 bucks. K20A2s can be had for well under 1000 bucks. Transmissions 500 to 700 bucks. Mix and match, is the new way to go. K24 blocks and K20 heads. All the kids are doing it.

It's the wiring, computer, mounts and miscellaneous things that are the high dollar items nowadays.

Most people think about the here and now, I always try to think long term. I'd rather spend a year longer at stock height, than buy some cheap coilovers I can afford now, then replace them again with something else. It's your car, pace yourself. You got nobody to impress but you.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WatumboJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
For less than $1000 you could easily swap to a d17a2 head with stage 1 cam and have the easiest 40hp bump possible on your engine.
40hp huh? Wow.

Let me go catch my unicorn. I need to run to the store for some more magic beans.
Old 08-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WatumboJimmy
40hp huh? Wow.

Let me go catch my unicorn. I need to run to the store for some more magic beans.
Yes, the vtec head with stage one cams can put you into the 130 WHP range
Old 08-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly.. 130whp for a D17 is pretty good... So don't be hatin'. Without turbo don't expect too much because the aftermarket support is abysmal.