7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Scraping Tires? **Alignment printout for Gearbox**

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point
Scraping Tires? **Alignment printout for Gearbox**

Here we go. I have 17x7 +40 wrapped with 225/45z/17 on my EX sedan on stock springs and struts. Everything was fine, but I needed an alignment. Because of my rear wheels being out of spec, I bought an SPC camber kit. I had it aligned by a local shop, which lead to some problems. As soon as I left the shop, I took a turn at 10 MPH, and the wheel somehow went into the wheel well, scraping the edge of the tire, cutting a nice little groove into it. It is doing this now on every turn, tearing up my tires nicely. The shop is trying to tell me its something that I did, even though it started after the adjustments. Can anyone give me some insight to this subject?

Last edited by chozobody; 07-27-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added printout for gearbox
Old 07-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scraping Tires?

well they prolly corrected all the negative camber in the rear and now that the tire is straight up instead of angled, its rubbing.
Old 07-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
well they prolly corrected all the negative camber in the rear and now that the tire is straight up instead of angled, its rubbing.
Would running negative camber to the point of clearance be a problem with my camber kit?
Old 07-22-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

225 is too wide for our cars

There is absolutely no reason to run that wide of a tire. It make ur 100hp work that much harder.

If you are concerned about traction, just get a better quality and sticker tire. It will not only be lighter but it won't rub.
Old 07-22-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chozobody
Would running negative camber to the point of clearance be a problem with my camber kit?
You can run up to negative 3 degrees without dirastically affecting ur tire wear.

Anything higher will kill ur tire life

But to answer ur question, yes with enough camber you can flush the tire back in so u won't rub
Old 07-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
225 is too wide for our cars

There is absolutely no reason to run that wide of a tire. It make ur 100hp work that much harder.

If you are concerned about traction, just get a better quality and sticker tire. It will not only be lighter but it won't rub.

They came with the Rims. Ill probably downsize when I get the money.
Old 07-22-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the whole point of a camber kit is to give you more adjustability than you had before. you can do pretty much anything you want but tire life will be affected. ofcourse slashing them is much worse. i think you need to find a shop that has worked on lowered cars, they should know what to do so you will be safe turning.
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

What would be a better size to run? 215 or 205?
Old 07-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

They did their job properly by zeroing out your camber at the alignment shop, your tires are just way to wide like everyone here has already stated. Running a tire that wide unnecessarily increases weight and has negative affects on handling performance.

There are three possible fixes:

1. Swap to a 215 or narrower tire, the best option.

2. Have your rear fenders rolled, the second best option because you can maintain stock alignment specs on your basically stock suspension. (I have no idea why you bought a camber kit)

2. Adjust your camber to a be a bit negative, putting your tires at a slight angle so they clear the fenders when the suspension is being compressed. The issue with this set-up is that you put the weight of the car on a smaller portion of the tire, causing them to wear quickly.

/thread.
Old 07-23-2011

^I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure 3 comes after 2... Lol
Old 07-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'm a little drunk.

Old 07-23-2011

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I'm a little drunk.

Better off than me. I'm at work
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

hellaflush yoe sheet doe yo.
Old 07-23-2011

And chozonody, just for the reference? It's called ur tires are "rubbing" not scraping
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

And chozonody, just for the reference? It's called ur tires are "rubbing" not scraping
I only referred to it as "scraping" because several large chunks have gone missing
Old 07-23-2011

really hard rubbing. lol..... :P
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

really hard rubbing. lol..... :P

Trust me, I know a thing or two about really hard rubbing. Whats happening to my tires is alot less pleasurable.
Old 07-23-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

If you do go with a little negative camber, my advice is to get a tire you can flip or swap sides. Inevitably, you will get some inside wear. This way you can maximize the life of your tires.
Old 07-23-2011
Premium Member

so, i guess you are getting new tires?
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

so, i guess you are getting new tires?
That I am. Put in the order today for some 205/45r/17 kumho ecsta ast. They said it should be in no later than friday, but as soon as wednesday too.
Old 07-24-2011
Premium Member

just make sure they dont get messed too. but with that size i think it should be okay with the current alignment (which im guessing they zeroed out). did you get a copy of the alignment specs they did?
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

just make sure they dont get messed too. but with that size i think it should be okay with the current alignment (which im guessing they zeroed out). did you get a copy of the alignment specs they did?
Yes I did, let me scan it, then ill upload it.
Old 07-27-2011
Registered!!

Sorry for the late Response Gearbox.

Here is the alignment sheet they gave me. I cant put my finger on it, but something seems off from Honda specified range and these numbers.

Name:  SCAN0001.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  111.0 KB
Old 07-28-2011
Registered!!

Re: Scraping Tires? **Alignment printout for Gearbox**

bump
Old 07-28-2011
Premium Member

let me see if i can find the old alignment sheet for my car. the values are within the specified range, but im not sure if those ranges are correct for a civic.
Old 07-28-2011
Registered!!

let me see if i can find the old alignment sheet for my car. the values are within the specified range, but im not sure if those ranges are correct for a civic.
Thanks gearbox.
Old 07-28-2011
Premium Member

okay i found my last sears alignment but they do not give ranges. its only a before/after thing. but i looked at yours and all my after specs fall between the ranges listed in the big-o printout. most are pretty close to your numbers as well. so i think you are fine on the alignment and just need different tires.
Old 07-28-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

225 -> Lazlong had troubles with them too.
215 should have been fine, though...
RU rubbing the left side, then? (I remember UR comment on driver's weight :P)
Old 07-28-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
225 -> Lazlong had troubles with them too.
215 should have been fine, though...
RU rubbing the left side, then? (I remember UR comment on driver's weight :P)
Surprisingly no, just the right side.

I also feel stupid now for ordering 205s when 215s would fit too.
Old 07-29-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you starting to have me worried of wornout shocks...

Quick Reply: Scraping Tires? **Alignment printout for Gearbox**