7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whats the required output for 7th gen 70amp alternators?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Whats the required output for 7th gen 70amp alternators?

Whats the best way to test our alt to make sure its voltage stays above the required output? Im going to get a friend to do it since hes already looking at my car tommorow. What do i tell him? I can say test the alt but do what exactly what kind of test?
Old 07-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Whats the required output for 7th gen 70amp alternators?

Hook a voltmeter to the positive and negative contacts and read the output, simple as that.
Old 07-21-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Hook a voltmeter to the positive and negative contacts and read the output, simple as that.
Does the car have to be running? What numbers shiuld i be looking for?
Old 07-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you mean amp output, go to most auto store and have them do a free alt check. they have the big machines that can read amp load. voltage will be around 14v if you just take a reading at the battery with a multimeter. not really useful for anything because the alt may only be producing 30 amps yet still read 14v at the battery.
Old 07-22-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by gearbox
if you mean amp output, go to most auto store and have them do a free alt check. they have the big machines that can read amp load. voltage will be around 14v if you just take a reading at the battery with a multimeter. not really useful for anything because the alt may only be producing 30 amps yet still read 14v at the battery.
well i was told theres a certain Voltage that the alt should always be above when the cars running....is that true? Is it 13.8? ill try to find the link. It said something like if it ran too low, then it would put extra strain on your trans and engine.

Heres a quote

Voltage drop is the most obvious culprit where alternator-related transmission woes are concerned. If your alternator's voltage stays consistently below the required output, the transmission may alter programming to keep the engine rpm low to reduce load on the engine. Alternatively, some transmissions may have programming to lock the engine into a lower gear than it should to raise engine rpm and alternator speed with it. Most of your transmission woes probably have more to do with a programmed strategy than an incidental failure.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 07-22-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The engine and transmission suffering any serious side effects as a result of poor alternator output is quite a stretch, some people who want to save weight and reduce parasitic power loss actually remove their alternator and upgrade to high end batteries. Besides, on our cars I'm pretty sure the battery light would come on before anything that quote describes would happen.

Good tip on having the autoparts store check the amperage, Gear. I've always been told to just monitor the voltage output.
Old 07-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Low voltage won't damage the trans, at least not in this car. It could damage the ECM/PCM or MCU though. They need a minimum voltage to work correctly. When talking low voltage, it may seem like the trans (auto) is messed up but, it's really the ECM/PCM.

ECM/PCM= Engine Control Module/Powertrain Control Module

MCU= Multiplex Control Unit
Old 07-22-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Using a multimeter doesnt tell you anything except whether your amp is working or not, and your battery is holding a charge or not

You batt may read 13v , but not start your car because your CCA has dropped to like 100
Old 07-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there are several issues here. first, alternator's main job is to charge the battery. there are many guys over at ecomodder running without alts at all, just a couple of hi power batts that they charge up each day. so long as the electrical systems are getting their 12v, they will be happy. too much or too little and you start to strain electrical parts. batteries are way more complicated that most people think and the average person has no idea how to even use and maintain a battery properly.

as for the alternator, sometimes it runs at 14v, other times at 12v depending on what the ELD decides it should be. if youre driving with no accessories on, chances are you will be at 12v. crank the fan on a few clicks and the voltage goes to 14v to balance the extra power draw.
Old 07-25-2011
I am Epic

14.3V thats the reading we got, while the car was running, used a volt meter. As for checking how much amp output its putting out i called a shop and they said you need a special adaptor to connect the alt to on hondas and they dont have it so ill call around.

Like you said, the shop said the same...even though the alt reads good in voltage, it doesnt mean its outputting its max amperage.