7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mbrishke can only hope to improve
overheating issue

So a while back i posted i was having some overheating issues, and thought id fixed it by flushing the system.. this was back in may.
Well, i got a new bike( a honda of course.. cbr600rr )
And ive been driving it pretty much everyday and ignoring my car.
Well yesterday it was raining so i took the car, and as soon as i stopped at a stoplight it started overheating again. started moving, temp dropped back down... errr.. Got back to the house and poped the hood, coolant was everywhere. and the overflow tank was full. Apparantly the overflow tank became pressurized, because the cap flew off, and coolant sprayed out all over my engine bay. i checked dipstick for coolant... none, checked spark plugs, they look fine. i did notice however that if i open my oil cap while the engine is running, that i can feel some air pulsing out, im not sure if that is normal or not.

Anyway, it seems to me that the reason it overheats is because all the coolant is pushed into, and then out of the overflow tank. then the car is low on coolant so when i stop at a light it overheats.
Ive changed the t-stat, and the radiator cap. still having the issue.
thank you in advance for any help.
Old 07-08-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: overheating issue

You have a blown head gasket. If you don't believe me click on the link in my signature for more information.
Old 07-08-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Check ur thermo stat
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

mbrishke can only hope to improve

tbohar, i figured thats what it was. was hoping i missed something tho, lol.
I guess ill be following your diy guide to change it ;/

The only thing im worried about if i change it myself is the timing.
Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

You can (and probably should) verify it with a block tester before concluding it's the Head Gasket and spending the cash... just in case. It'll test your radiator for the presence of exhaust (blue indicator will turn yellow). You can rent one free from AutoZone (just put down a deposit that you get back when you return it), and you pay for the fluid (like a few dollars).
Old 07-08-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ yea it's all spelled out in my signature... timing belt should be inspected during the job since you have to remove it anyway.