7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What are the shifting intervals on autos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
What are the shifting intervals on autos?

What speeds on the speedometer do they switch from all the gears? Ive been monitoring it lately and from what Ive noticed (but I could be wrong). When in D, does your car always automatically start in 1st gear or do you have to shift into first? Basically what Im asking is, you let the car roll, the first gear change you feel, would that be 1st to 2nd or D to 1st?

My assumptions

1st--->2nd - around 20km
2nd--->3rd - 40km
3rd--->4th - 60km
*then sometimes it shifts again around 80km* But this confuses me because our autos are 4 not 5sp.

But like I said I could be wrong because sometimes I notice my car shifts again around the 80km mark, what the hell? I just want to be able to distinguish the gear shifts and know just by the feel and what speed im going, what gear Im in.

Also, I hear the torque convertor actually looks and unlocks, how do you tell when this happens?

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 07-02-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What are the shifting intervals on autos?

If I were to ask the questions you ask.....I would die from stress...

If you have an auto trans, just be thankful it doesn't slip and give you problems. If it does, it does...If it doesn't, whoopdie-doo, sing a happy tune...It don't matter what speed it shifts at when your car is a compact vehicle, as long as it gets you from POINT A to POINT B....yah feel me?
Old 07-02-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by 7genmarathon
If I were to ask the questions you ask.....I would die from stress...

If you have an auto trans, just be thankful it doesn't slip and give you problems. If it does, it does...If it doesn't, whoopdie-doo, sing a happy tune...It don't matter what speed it shifts at when your car is a compact vehicle, as long as it gets you from POINT A to POINT B....yah feel me?
I still want to know the intervals. Btw, the readings I made is when you are non stop accelerating from a stop without letting the foot off the gas (and doing around 3000rpm) throughout the entire thing.
Old 07-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Intervals vary depending on how much the gas pedal is down... You haven't noticed this?
Old 07-02-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tbohar
Intervals vary depending on how much the gas pedal is down... You haven't noticed this?
This.
/thread
Old 07-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

This is turning into another carnoobie thread...

So i'll try to answer it best I can without spinning off into a 30 page discussion
In 4th gear, our autos will "kick" down the RPM, and closes the throttle somewhat to save gas
Basically, what you're feeling is VTEC disengaging

Try stepping on the gas a little when this happens, you'll feel this "wall" i call it of power. You can feel it in the gas pedal. If you push a little past this "wall", your RPMs will automatically jump 1~2k, engaging VTEC.
And once you hit cruising speed, and not accelerating, VTEC will disengage again, throwing you back down to ~3k rpm.

Yes, it feels like you've gone into 5th gear, but we have no 5th gear.

I fly thru the tunnel near my house a lot, the first time, i hit 80mph @ 6000RPM, then it drops down to ~3k RPM
I was stumped the first time too...
But after I installed a VTEC light, I finally figured it out lol
Old 07-02-2011
I am Epic

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
This is turning into another carnoobie thread...

So i'll try to answer it best I can without spinning off into a 30 page discussion
In 4th gear, our autos will "kick" down the RPM, and closes the throttle somewhat to save gas
Basically, what you're feeling is VTEC disengaging

Try stepping on the gas a little when this happens, you'll feel this "wall" i call it of power. You can feel it in the gas pedal. If you push a little past this "wall", your RPMs will automatically jump 1~2k, engaging VTEC.
And once you hit cruising speed, and not accelerating, VTEC will disengage again, throwing you back down to ~3k rpm.

Yes, it feels like you've gone into 5th gear, but we have no 5th gear.

I fly thru the tunnel near my house a lot, the first time, i hit 80mph @ 6000RPM, then it drops down to ~3k RPM
I was stumped the first time too...
But after I installed a VTEC light, I finally figured it out lol
Thanks. So if im correct the nudge i feel around the 80 mark is basically the torque converter unlocking. So that means our cars (when put into drive at a standstill) automatically start in 1st gear? So the first shift we feel is first gear to second. I could be wrong but let me know.
Old 07-02-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Your car will always start in 1st unless something is wrong internally or electronically.
Old 07-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It's not based on speed it's based on throttle position.
Old 07-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The question has been answered and my apologies but this thread is closed...