7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

question about oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amamdani15 will become famous soon enoughamamdani15 will become famous soon enough
question about oil

i just got back from an oil change and there was smoke when i opened the hood after getting back home. i looked and it seems like they spill oil on the exhaust pipe and that was causing smoke.

i also noticed two other things, when i open the oil cap and look inside i can see the springs and everything. is that normal??

also when i tap the oil pan with my fingernails from underneath it sounds hollow, like there is nothing in there. on checking the dipstick it shows that there is oil. is that sound normal also?

any help is appreciated. thanks!
Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: question about oil

i hope your joking
Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

amamdani15 will become famous soon enoughamamdani15 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i hope your joking
i wish i was. i have never seen either of these things before...on ANY car. but i just dont remember on this one
Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

everything is normal except you paying somebody to spill oil all over your engine do that ish yourself so you know it will get don't rite. also while your under there make sure they properly tightened the drain plug or over tightened.
Old 06-24-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by amamdani15
i just got back from an oil change and there was smoke when i opened the hood after getting back home. i looked and it seems like they spill oil on the exhaust pipe and that was causing smoke.
when the engine cools, clean it off. you can spray some simplegreen on ur engine, cover ur battery and intake inlet, and clean all the oil off....that way it wont attract dirty, grime, and get crusted it.

i also noticed two other things, when i open the oil cap and look inside i can see the springs and everything. is that normal??
yes, thats normal.

also when i tap the oil pan with my fingernails from underneath it sounds hollow, like there is nothing in there. on checking the dipstick it shows that there is oil. is that sound normal also?
thats pretty subjective. what may sound hollow to you may not be to a person who knows what they are doing.

did u check the dipstick while the engine was hot? running? cold?

my advise:

1. go back and yell at those people and demand them to clean it.
2. dont go back afterward.
3. learn to change ur oil. its pretty simple. actually, its as simple as it gets. you need a few basic tools (an initial investment, but it isnt even expensive)

but if u dont want to do it yourself, then go to a reputable mech. yelp.com is ur friend.'

on a side note, where did u get ur oil changed? PLEASE tell me you did go to jiffylube...

if you oil light is not on, then you are ok.
Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
when the engine cools, clean it off. you can spray some simplegreen on ur engine, cover ur battery and intake inlet, and clean all the oil off....that way it wont attract dirty, grime, and get crusted it.

yes, thats normal.

thats pretty subjective. what may sound hollow to you may not be to a person who knows what they are doing.

did u check the dipstick while the engine was hot? running? cold?

my advise:

1. go back and yell at those people and demand them to clean it.
2. dont go back afterward.
3. learn to change ur oil. its pretty simple. actually, its as simple as it gets. you need a few basic tools (an initial investment, but it isnt even expensive)

but if u dont want to do it yourself, then go to a reputable mech. yelp.com is ur friend.'

on a side note, where did u get ur oil changed? PLEASE tell me you did go to jiffylube...

if you oil light is not on, then you are ok.
thanks for the help, you helped me with all my Q's...i have changed oil myself dozens of times, this time i was just too caught up with school and stuff and didnt have the time so i decided to let them have a go at it. also ive done the tapping thing on many ars and they usually have a deep sound, this is the second oil change since i bought the car so i dont remember if id tapped on it before and what sound i got.

there is no way in hell that ill go back. i opened the hood and there was smoke, i was seriously about to go and yell at them but i understand that thats what i get for trusting someone else with my car. it was express tire in black mountain...my parents always used to take their cars there so i assumed it would be fine for a one time thing.

btw, i have a mechanic that i go to for everything i cant do myself. alot of times he makes me do the work while he stands back and guides me, and then doesnt even charge labor. but again i didnt have time to go there since its kinda far from my house, (i go in the opposite direction for everywhere i go).
Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

thats one cool mechanic usually they won't evan let you in the shop for legal reasons.