7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

timing belt - honda vs aftermarket ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
timing belt - honda vs aftermarket ?

My wife had the timing belt replaced at about 60,000 miles, the car now has 120,000 miles on it, when she had it replaced an aftermarket belt was put on,

My question is, will this belt last as long as a honda belt? Honda recommends 90,000 miles to change it I think, is it safe to let this belt go a bit longer? I'm thinking it won't last as long as a honda belt would, is this correct?

When I start the car up in the morning I am hearing a slight "chirping" noise and I'm hoping this is not the timing belt, the noise goes away when the engine is warmed up,
Old 06-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: timing belt - honda vs aftermarket ?

timing belts do not chirp
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i use napa belts there are certain products that should only be honda brand but a belt is not one of them i would use napa. and your alternator belt is whats chirping in the morning tighten it.
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, so are you saying an aftermarket belt should last as long as an original honda belt??
Old 06-23-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yes and no i mean if its some weirdo no name ebay product from borat country i would be weary. were did it come from ??? anything like napa,advanced auto parts,o'reillys,car quest,pep boys you know those kind of places. honda doesn't actually make there own belts there basically aftermarket with the honda logo on it.

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-23-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
yes and no i mean if its some weirdo no name ebay product from borat country i would be weary. were did it come from ??? anything like napa,advanced auto parts,o'reillys,car quest,pep boys you know those kind of places. honda doesn't actually make there own belts there basically aftermarket with the honda logo on it.
I'm not positive but I would assume it would be napa or equivalent, it was done at a local shop here in canada, most part stores around here sell napa
Old 06-28-2011
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I would personally only use Honda, however I believe you can go 90k miles or even as far as 110k miles. I also would have to agree and say that your timing belt isnt chirping. It has teeth on it and its not a bird lol. Look into replacing your drive belts.
Old 06-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

I use hondas belts. But thats mainly because I can get them at cost.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itzcashew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
My wife had the timing belt replaced at about 60,000 miles, the car now has 120,000 miles on it, when she had it replaced an aftermarket belt was put on,

My question is, will this belt last as long as a honda belt? Honda recommends 90,000 miles to change it I think, is it safe to let this belt go a bit longer? I'm thinking it won't last as long as a honda belt would, is this correct?

When I start the car up in the morning I am hearing a slight "chirping" noise and I'm hoping this is not the timing belt, the noise goes away when the engine is warmed up,
To be honest I'd go OEM.

But that chirping noise you're hearing is your accessory belts. Just get a pair of Gates and it'll stop the chirp.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

lol who do you think makes that oem honda belt ill give you a hint the same people that supply NAPA there belts.
Old 06-29-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeeea actually Napa as lowlife mentioned has great parts in general. Belts are okay. I however wouldn't use even their water pumps/tensioners etc. You have to draw the line where you pay top dollar somewhere and let's be realistic, a belt is a belt.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

what i always use napa stuff for all of my cars all my belts,water pump, timing belt tensionor,and valve gaskets are from NAPA and they have been there for over 60,000 miles with not one problem.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tbohar
You have to draw the line where you pay top dollar somewhere and let's be realistic, a belt is a belt.
Not always. Companies make V-belts by manufacturing very wide belts and then cutting them to the correct width. Usually there is waste since the material between the bottom of two adjacent belts is thrown out. A company could save money by cutting wider between the V's so that the inner material becomes a belt when it is turned inside out. To do this the cord in the belt has to be in the center instead of toward the outside where it should be to carry the load. I would guess that the cords were probably smaller also.
I hadn't thought about this in years since most cars now use serpentine belts so this is no longer a factor. You might be surprised at the ways manufactures find to cut corners. I agree that paying top dollar is often a waste, I think the key is to find a good value. Sometimes it is worth it to pay a little extra for a name you know and trust.
Old 06-29-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is good to know. I think at 300k (kms) when I go to replace the stuff again I'll use Napa.

Originally Posted by lowlife9
what i always use napa stuff for all of my cars all my belts,water pump, timing belt tensionor,and valve gaskets are from NAPA and they have been there for over 60,000 miles with not one problem.
Old 06-29-2011
Registered!!

also the toyota dealership i used to work for got most of there parts from NAPA down the street which also gave me a discount.gates the company napa gets there belts from also manufacturers belts for honda.

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-29-2011 at 09:03 PM.