7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

This girl needs help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
liz92 is an unknown quantity at this point
This girl needs help!!

I now own a 2001 honda civic ex. I want to learn about my car, whats all under my hood, the name of things(and obviously what it looks like so I can identify them) Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start at least. I want to learn the basics then get in depth with engine and tranny components. Any idea on where I can get info would be of great help!!
Thanks!
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

whitecivic2003 will become famous soon enough
Re: This girl needs help!!

I would prob go buy a manual for your car and just look through it .
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

I tried that but it wasn't as helpful as i expected, I was looking more for something like a diagram. Something that will show me what is on/in the car that is labeled with the name. That way I can then go through and see which part does what, and what are the components that make it up. A website would be much easier than buying a book, that is helpful if I do need to resort to a book, thanks.
Old 06-16-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Well there's always the search button ..
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

I tried looking in google but it's very frusterating, and does not get me where i'd like to go, thats why I figured somone on here would be able to redirect me better
Old 06-16-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

^That. Or youtube, car sites, etc. Honestly, your best bet is gonna be books. It makes learning worthwhile and they provide the best illustrations. But I'm also in school for auto, so I have textbooks which go pretty in depth on the subjects. Nothing happens in an instant. I started out changing headlight bulbs and stuff not knowing jack squat. My knowledge base is still pretty small, but with those Haynes, Honda, Toyota, and school books, not to mention the peeps here, I've gained much more knowledge over the years.
Old 06-16-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

there's a search button in between NEW POSTS and QUICK LINKS
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Thanks, maybe Ill try going to the library and seeing if they have any books that will help.
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

WOW! I feel dumb, I didn't even realize that search thing was there! I havnt looked around this site at all yet. Thanks :P
Old 06-16-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

The thing is if you're going that route, it's gonna be hard to get everything jam packed into one book. I have this textbook:
http://www.epinions.com/prices/Autom..._by_Tim_Gilles
It isn't bad. It gives you a little of everything and can be found for pretty cheap on Amazon. And yeah. Search is great! Make use of it
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MelJ
The thing is if you're going that route, it's gonna be hard to get everything jam packed into one book. I have this textbook:
http://www.epinions.com/prices/Autom..._by_Tim_Gilles
It isn't bad. It gives you a little of everything and can be found for pretty cheap on Amazon. And yeah. Search is great! Make use of it
Sounds good! Ill give it a shot! Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

don't tell me you bought one of those cheap manuals from pepboys you need a real one like chilton though there not cheap. or check here
http://chilton.cengage.com/
Old 06-16-2011
=)

Wow , you're about the first girl I haven't told to get back in the kitchen .
Old 06-16-2011
Trance Addict

Lol. I got mine from Advance. Get it right . I have access to Alldata and Shopkey at school so anything I can't get from there, I print and bring home. The manual has served its purpose for what I need though, so I can't really complain too much. I'll keep that link in mind though.
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Lol thanks guys, ive skimmed through books from advanced but never bought one. My bf had a chilton, which I took, but I havnt had a chance to look through. I'll check out that website though. One thing I can't figure out is my maintence required light is on, and in the chilton in only gives me what things should be updated up to a certain millage and unfortunetly I drive long distances a lot and can't figure out what needs to be done and my bf is going to school at whyotech so he doesnt really have time to look at it(which is why i am trying to learn about my car)
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by liz92
Lol thanks guys, ive skimmed through books from advanced but never bought one. My bf had a chilton, which I took, but I havnt had a chance to look through. I'll check out that website though. One thing I can't figure out is my maintence required light is on, and in the chilton in only gives me what things should be updated up to a certain millage and unfortunetly I drive long distances a lot and can't figure out what needs to be done and my bf is going to school at whyotech so he doesnt really have time to look at it(which is why i am trying to learn about my car)
plus i bought my bf alldata for his bday in jan. but i believe it is registered for his honda, so it's a bit diff than mine :/
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by iSharix
Wow , you're about the first girl I haven't told to get back in the kitchen .
haha thanks i guess. My bf jus expects me to sit there and hand him what ever tool he tells me he needs. He'd probably laugh if I told him I was on here now and trying to learn about my car.
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Lol. I got mine from Advance. Get it right . I have access to Alldata and Shopkey at school so anything I can't get from there, I print and bring home. The manual has served its purpose for what I need though, so I can't really complain too much. I'll keep that link in mind though.
Not to be nosey, but where do you go to school?
Old 06-16-2011
Trance Addict

Hudson Valley Community College. Cheap tuition and I get a degree in something in case I decide to ever go back to college for anything else. Also, no need to make multiple posts for quotes. If you're using Chrome or FF, you can hold ctrl click quote, open a window. Do the same for other quotes and copy and paste them into your first reply window. Well, I'm sure there's an easier way, but that's what I do.
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Hudson Valley Community College. Cheap tuition and I get a degree in something in case I decide to ever go back to college for anything else.
ohh ok, never heard of it. I thought you meant like a technical school or something. Cheap is good though, my dumbass bf is paying about $30,000 or a lil more for a 9month degree in auto mechanics and high performance power training lol.
Old 06-16-2011
Trance Addict

Our program is 2 years. But if he's getting a degree, that's good. Some of these places only offer certificates, which I heard can make things a little difficult.
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

Our program is 2 years. But if he's getting a degree, that's good. Some of these places only offer certificates, which I heard can make things a little difficult.
with him i use the term degree very very lightly. Lol. I think it actually is a certificate, but at this point I dont care, I have 4more years of college before I get my masters degree, and he already got a job at a place that works on expensive cars and race cars, so atleast he's getting off to a good start before i'm out of school.
Old 06-16-2011
Registered!!

But besides using a chilton to look at this stupid diagram that doesnt go above 90thousand miles, how else can I figure out why my maintence required light is on.
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

TDC2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Best way to learn is to start wrenching on it. Learning is a hands-on experience
Old 06-17-2011
Trance Addict

The maint. re'q light is an oil change reminder.
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TDC2001civic
Best way to learn is to start wrenching on it. Learning is a hands-on experience
harder said than done, lol. I know socket sizes and **** when I'm told which to go find and hand over, but just looking at something i'd have no idea what size to use, pretty much the only thing i can do is change breaks :P
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think anyone of us can explain every part name.. I mean we can but it will take us alot..
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

The maint. re'q light is an oil change reminder.
hhmmm then how do i get it to go away bc i did an oil change right after it came on, put in a new oil filter and all.
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GreenMachineDX
I dont think anyone of us can explain every part name.. I mean we can but it will take us alot..
yea, that is deff true. I was just looking for something I can read up on and look at diagrams
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yeah it just reminds you to do regular maintenance like oil air filter basic crap. now the check engine light is a different story. 90,000 miles is due for a new timing belt and water pump did you have that done yet ??
this is how to reset the light https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...red-light.html

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-17-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: This girl needs help!!