7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hello...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello...

Ok, first off, I haven't been on here for so long, Because, i had been too bussy and went on vacation in, Europe for 2 months..

Now to the problem: My inspection expires at end of this month and i have a check engine light on, Its for catalytic converter and when i step on it from first to second lil bit harder a small cloud of white smoke comes out.

Now the question: What is the best way to go? My civic is stock everything and its a 02 Civic DX, Sedan 5 speeds with 120k miles on it...

Thanx, Guys... And i was going ask yall, how do i buy stickers from this site...
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello...

My Catalytic converter has a huge crack in it and I think I'm going to buy the random technologies high flow. I've read that it passes emission tests here in Canada but I'd make sure it passes where you live. The best thing about it is it's a hell of a lot cheaper than your OEM cat and it's stainless steel. So with the money you save on the cat you can convert the rest of your exhaust system to EX style which is what I'd do in your case. If you don't want to convert I'd say find an aftermarket exhaust shop that can usually replace the cat with one of their cheap-os for 3-400 dollars. Link for the RT:

http://www.dezod.com/pd_random_technology_hiflow.cfm

The cloud of white smoke could be a problem, how is your coolant level?

You buy stickers through Josh (xriceboyx). Send him a PM
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Ok, so ur saying that its cheaper just to get a random catalytic converter and buy a stock EX exhuast?..
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Welllllllll the issue with the random technology exhaust is you still have to buy the exhaust manifold and a catback exhaust sytem.. but that can be had for cheap. SS megan header can be had for ~120 dollars... random tech cat for 306, and a catback exhaust on craigslist usually goes for 400 dollars. So you get a full stainless exhaust for ~900 bucks header back... It's an upgrade for sure. If you look at south bay honda your header goes for around 800 I think. I'm too lazy to check. Your header/cat is a one piece unit. Aftermarket exhaust shop could change it out with theirs for much less but it probably won't last long because they stuff is usually generic crap. If you get lucky you can find an entire EX exhaust on craigslist with cat included for around 300 dollars but it usually doesn't include the header.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Ok, i got u..

I wasn't saying random tech. exhuast.. I was just saying random tech. catalytic converters and get a EX stock exhuast...
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

You should pass with a generic Is that the one that has the manifold/cat built in together?
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

I guess, i dunno **** about these civics.. Mines is bolt on one not welded.. So it does come with everything... Thats why its 250-350... I went to this Exhuast shop today and he told me that the one i have is the one thats lil bit more money... But i ma go see him tomorrow and see with him if i get a header and if he can put one of his converters and do the piping for the exhuast all the way back the same size that a header is... I think thats going run me around 400.. But, Its going be sounding nice too...

I knew this one guy he did my whole exhuast on the CL-S for 200, all the way back 2.5.. Too bad he quit..
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Welllll.... Honestly, if your going to spend 400 I'd convert to EX full stainless steel ... it's unfortunate your kind of in a time crunch If your converting it it's pretty easy to do yourself. You basically need to remove the header and you can drop the whole unit in one piece. Even the EX exhaust bolts together there really aren't any welds.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Ok, I will prolly do it in my garage but the thing is how much do u think thats going run me? and do i have to get EX headers too?
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I can sum it down for you if you like...

Megan Header - 140$ shipped
http://cgi.ebay.ca/MEGAN-RACING-STAI...item588e6c493c

RT cat - 306 + shipping probably around 40 bucks do 336
http://www.dezod.com/pd_random_technology_hiflow.cfm

Catback exhaust RSR mag - 276 dollars + shipping probably 60 bucks 336
http://jdmengineimports.com/engine/E...t-RSR-12-H130/

Your looking at around 800 dollars for a full stainless exhaust and the RSR mag is one of the best exhaust systems for these cars. If not the best. I'm not 100% sure how much work you have to do to hang everything because I've never done it but it shouldn't be too bad. **** I just realized the RSR probably isnt stainless... hmmm
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

a quick cheap fix would be to just buy a O2 simulator for 25 bucks till you can save up for something more permanent i just recently passed my emissions with no cat and no cell light with a megan angled O2 simulator i got from here http://www.robearracing.com/pd-megan...or-cel-fix.cfm it will work as long as your oxygen sensor is working properly i would check the code first to make sure its the cat and not the sensor.
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^Cheapest fix yet
Old 06-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

random tech cats are trash. stick with oem if you care about pollution. if not, the spark plug fouler trick works to turn the engine light off. smog checks on 1996+ cars are a joke. all they do is plug the scanner to the obdII connector. if no engine light is on, you pass.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

gabriel62510 can only hope to improve

hey.. i have a civic 2001 lx & its only giving me 20-22 mpg .. please help me
thanks
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gabriel62510
hey.. i have a civic 2001 lx & its only giving me 20-22 mpg .. please help me
thanks
hay you shouldn't post the same question on other peoples threads.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Wats up lowlife and gearbox, how yall been..

How do u install that O2 simulator.. And also i want to get a nice exhaust late tho but now its just i need a quick solution to pass the inspection and to get my sticker for the tags..

Also, i will get the code tomorrow.. The guy told me it was Cat code so i didn't bother writing it down.. But i get it tomorrow

Thanx Guys..!
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I've personally heard good things about random tech cats... hmm... now I don't know what to do I really don't want to buy an OEM one for 600 bucks ( i dont mean to threadjack ). Here in Canada they actually Dyno your car and get emissions readings while at it.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

whats up man its been awhile how are those european chicks ??.
all you do is unscrew the secondary oxygen sensor the one before the cat then screw in the simulator then screw in the oxygen sensor to the simulator then reset the ECU its very easy. was the code P0420 ??

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-14-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Haha sorry my advice was a bit Canadian oriented, if my catalytic converter was shot I'd actually have to fix it to pass the smog test.. The 02 trick wouldn't work up here... stupid Canada
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
I've personally heard good things about random tech cats... hmm... now I don't know what to do I really don't want to buy an OEM one for 600 bucks ( i dont mean to threadjack ). Here in Canada they actually Dyno your car and get emissions readings while at it.
i here that high flow cats are hit or miss i would probably get the random cat and also install the defouler just to be safe or just get like a magnaflow universal cat.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

As i was reading on that link that lowlife sent me.. I came upon this " this mechanical O2 fix is well known for eliminating most CEL s caused by an O2 Sensor"

Now why did that mechanic tell me that its a Catalytic converter today.. Why he didnt say its a 02 sensor...

Thanx
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

It probably IS the catalytic converter... All the o2 bypass does is put a properly funcitioning o2 sensor further back from the exhaust so it reads less exhaust and gets lower readings... therefore turning off your check engine light thats for high emissions or whatever it is. If the cat was functioning you wouldn't need to do that
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

because all the secondary sensor does is make sure the cat is functioning properly.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Yea, the European chicks are awsome.. My neck was popping everytime i went to uptown.. I wanted to stay, but USA is calling my name to make some dough.. lol

So u saying that i unscrew the top 02 or the bottom one??..
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

secondary the bottom one after the cat my bad i said before the cat on my last post but its after the cat.
Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

I am ordering that right about now... Thanx alot man... I'll get the codes tomorrow...
Old 06-15-2011
Registered!!

The code is P0420... Is it sensor or catalytic... what ya think..
Old 06-15-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the code means bad cat, but sometimes this can be caused by a malfunctioning secondary sensor misreading the info. my money is on the cat being bad tho because there are codes for the sensor also. ofcourse you should replace the sensor first since its so cheap. $50 for a sensor vs $800 for a new cat.

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Old 06-15-2011
Registered!!

Ok, but can i do something just so i can pass the inspection.. Then later i will change the cat...
Old 06-15-2011
Premium Member

there are a few things like the o2 sensor spacer that moves the sensor away from the exhaust gas. i dont know the specifics tho having never done it before. but there are many threads about it here.

Quick Reply: Hello...