7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Many questions that have been bothering me

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HG-2003Civvy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Many questions that have been bothering me

So first off, do rear sway bars break? I think I have a bad end link that is causing a loud popping noise in the rear of the car around corners. My friend told me it could be the sway bar itself. I looked in suspension do it yourself but couldn't find a DIY for changing end links. Or it could be something else, just looking for help and a good DIY.

Second, my car hit 200,000km today and there is a belt that has started to squeal slightly (I doubt its the timing, it was replaced at 150,000km) so any info would be helpful.

Lastly, do manual tranny's really need a tranny fluid change like auto's do. I have no clue when or if it has been changed.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Many questions that have been bothering me

well the sway bar itself usually won't break being so strong usually its the endlinks that break or the bushings go bad just get under the car and inspect it rather then just speculating. as for the belt im willing to bet it the alternater belt that needs to be tightened mine always makes noise especially in the rain. if you look under the alternater there is a wing nut used to adjusts the belt.and yes you need to replace the trans fluid regardless of which type thats very important.

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-08-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

I should have wrote that out more clearly. I know the tranny fluid still needs to be changed but I was looking for recommended intervals. Ive spoke to a couple guys with 01-03 autos who change their fuild every 20,000km 'cause of the weak auto tranny.
Thanks for alternator tip
And I did actually, I noticed play in the end link on the passenger side. But I don't know if I'd have to change the bushing too at the same time or what
Old 06-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The timing belt won't squeak, it's has ribs.

Try tightening the alt belt, but if that doesn't work you'll need to replace it. If you look in the timing belt diy you'll see that removing the alternator and power steering belts are the first steps, so just follow those instructions to DIY it.
Old 06-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

endlinks - just take a pic before so you will know how to mount them afterwards, then get your PB blasters, an hex key and wrench and go to work
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

Thanks, the alternator belt was the problem. It stopped after tightening.