7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Car starting and staying on issuse

Old 06-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LittleJ1815 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car starting and staying on issuse

Well I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX coupe that is having some issues. It started a about 2 months ago. I was driving when my car drop speed and wont drive faster then 35mph. After about 1 min then battery light was flicking on and off then the all the light dim very low as if they were off then the car die and wont start. I had to get it jumped and took it home. The next day I took the battery to be check at Auto Zone. They recharged it and tested it and it passed. I also check the alternator with a meter if I remember right it held a charge around 12.4 with nothing on beside the car I turn radio/heat/AC/lights one by one and still stayed around 12.4. I also turn the car to Auto zone and they tested the alternator and it passed there test. For the next couple of weeks the would run without turning off but the battery light would still flicker on and off. I wouldn't turn anything else on in the car. I recently I had to spend sometime in the hospital when I went to start the car it wouldn't start and when I it jump the car would start but as soon as we took the cables off the car would die. What could be the problems. Please help I don't have a lot of extra spending cash right now as I been in the hospital.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Car starting and staying on issuse

Check your wiring, especially around the alt. Another place to start is checking grounds. Also, take it back to Auto zone and see if they can scan it for codes. I'm almost certain they won't be able to due to an "error" but, it's worth a try.
Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah sounds like your having a ground issue. Check all the visable ground wires even your neg battery cable. I recently just changed the ground wire going from the engine to the body because of wierd things going on.

Just do an inspection for loose wires ground bolts etc.
Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I belive your alternator is no good. It should be putting out around 14.5 when the car is running. 12.4 seems kind of low. Autozone is not always right in their diagnosis of batteries and alternators.
Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Autozone is not always right in their diagnosis of batteries and alternators.
True. Try to find the alternator re-builder in your town.