7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

HELP - HID interference with my DRL - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicSi2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy HELP - HID interference with my DRL - HELP

Hi there, You guys are my last hope here.
I got a 2005 Si 4dr,

I just installed a 35W 5000k HID kit for my night headlights the 9006 low beam but something definatly went wrong. . I live up north CANADA and good lighting is a must)

I have pluged the car wires(wich used to go directly into the H4 bulb) directly into the balast (didn't use the small extensions you can see on the image since all wires had the right lengths) and the balast to the HID bulb.

This is exactly the kit I got.

When I first started the car my DRL lights lighted up ok than when i switched the night beams on for the first time (the freshly installed HID's) the DRL obviously went off(normal) and the HID's came on, and i noticed that the driver side HID light was flickering. OUCH. I tried to put on the high beams and they worked along with the flickering HID( the driver side seemed to flicker more and also seemed to have less energy, it looked more like a 4300K than a 5000k.

Stopped the car triple checked the wiring, and now when I start it back the DRL lights wont light up and in my DASH the DRL indicator is on

If I switch the HID's to on they light up ok with no flickering now and the right intensity. Also If the HID's are on and I try my HIGH BEAMS along with HID's everything seems to work just fine.

But I still dont have my DRL's when I start my car.

PLZ HELP!
Old 06-03-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: HELP - HID interference with my DRL - HELP

ok first off, welcome to the forums.

second, you have a canadian SI, which is our EX model (just for reference for other members)

third, you dont have a H4 socket. only civics 01-03 use H4 sockets. you have a 9006/9005 socket.

fourth, (answer to your flickering problem) you need a HID wiring harness (aka hid relay). the reason for the flickering is because at initial start up, the HID ballast draws a lot of power. sometimes, it draws more power/electricity than your stock wires can handle...and thats why ur flickering, is because they do not have enough power going to them. an HID wiring harness will solve that.

fifth, because the right HID are flickering, the bulb cannot warm up properly and set into its designed color thats why you see a color difference. again, hid wiring harness will fix this.
Old 06-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

your 05 hids should not affect the hi beam/drl at all since its a separate circuit. sounds more like the problem is with the hid equipment. either you do not have a separate relay harness or the hid hardware is junk (more than likely).
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

CivicSi2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks alot for those explanations, meanwhile I found myself some answers.

That first day i had them installed and that one was flickering I used the car at night and the problem seemed to had been solved. Everything worked fine.

But when used High Beams and Hid kit low beams the light started flickering again and ahaha a few minutes later The other Light Died out.

next day

I switch the bulbs and i notice it's still the same light not firing up.

I switch the balasts and notice that now the light works

Result: Faulty dead balast.

I had a spare Relay harness from an old kit I had with another car and tried it and now both lights werem't working - which I thinks it's still odd since it's plugged in parrallel like the christmas lights if one goes out not all die out. anyway it's just a supposition, I'm not good with electricity and all that stuff.

I than inform the seller of the problem and instantly he replies

I'm sorry for th faulty balast I am sending you higher quality ballasts -ahaha

As if the guy knew he sent me crappy balasts.

So now I'm wating for new balasts and meanwhile I installed old Sylvania pure white something regular bulbs and I think i wont even use HID kit, The sylvanias are very good. I will still try the new kit to give you some feedback.

I still wonder why relay harness made both lights go out ???

Oh and sometimes balasts emit a weird buzzing sound

Ahaha i looked for the made inchina sign lol
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

mercer999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there, i had the same problem so i just deleted my drls all together and they work fine now no humming, flickering or cutting out! i wouldn't know why the drls won't work on startup unless you blew a fuse or something check that out!