7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Shift Knob Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011
CivicChick2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all
Cool Painting Shift **** Numbers

Hey everyone, I was just curious if any of you have painted the shift **** numbers? I drive a 01 ex civic and still have the oem ****. *yes i have searched this forum and had no luck*

I have heard everything from crayons to model paint to nail polish. I just want to know if some of you guys have done it, and if so, what worked the best for you, and any pics are appreciated.

Thanks for any help. I am wanting to paint the numbers blue, so if you have used something for that color, what shade worked out best?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Painting Shift **** Numbers

I think model paint with an extremely fine brush would work well, crayons not so much
Old 06-01-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

ok thanks for the input. ill have to check some out. just wasnt sure with the shift **** being rubber.. thank you though
Old 06-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The **** being rubber is what leads me to suggest model paint, I think that would work better than most paints on that since it's designed for plastic
Old 06-01-2011
CivicChick2001

wheres the best place to get that stuff? does it have to be like a craft/modeling store? or can you get it at walmart?
Old 06-01-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

i saw a video of someone melting a crayon to fill the grooves that make up the numbers and lines. apparently it looked pretty good, until it gets to a hot summer day and melts all over your hand lol
Old 06-01-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I actually got bored and did this a week ago. I used a paint marker, heavily colored the entire number area, and cleaned off the excess with rubbing alcohol. I did it because the inner plastic of my **** broke, and I was waiting for the gorilla glue to set.

I'll post pics later

edit: here's the marker I used, just because I had them (the 6mm ones) laying around
http://www.zigsupply.com/zig_posterman_markers

It says you can remove it with water, yet it's waterproof when dry

nevertheless, it's lasted a week just fine, so far.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 06-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... my grooves are all worn out on my shifter they are totally non existant so I don't think paint would last very long on mine at all... Maybe I got a defective **** and nobody told me about it until now...
Old 06-01-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You could do the numbers, then coat the entire thing with a couple coats of clear, then let all that dry for a few days
Old 06-01-2011
Administrator
Administrator

As promised, here's pictures

Not quite the cleanest job, but it was just something to do while I waited for my shift **** repairs to cure. I got a shiny new shift **** on the way, also
Old 06-01-2011
CivicChick2001

thanks for the pic and info about it! that looks very good.. exactly what i want to do and what i want mine to look like. now i gotta get my butt to the store and pick up some of this stuff! looks great!

did you paint that silver/goldish ring around your shifter? and also around the base of it? if so, how'd you end up doin that? i dunno if u have seen me complainin before, but i cannot stand those colors around em..

anyways, let me know, and thanks again
Old 06-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Josh that looks awesome
Old 06-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I'm looking at ebay for shift ***** now thanks everyone.. I can't find a nicer one than the leather OEM one I have hmmmm.... All of them are all too rice for me.
Old 06-01-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Yea, I have the shifter base ring and the shift boot coupler piece painted. I just took all that apart, did a light sanding job, and hit it with a rattle can. I used a rattle can of some duplicolor ford blue that pretty much matched the color of my car. After that, sprayed a few coats of clear and let it sit for a few days to cure

I bought those markers at a Michael's craft store, by the way.. At least, I think I did

edit: like I said, my base RSX **** cracked, and it happened when I was screwing it back on, so I ordered a new one.. Not a base RSX **** again, but this time a round Mugen shift **** for the Honda Fit

Effing seksi
Sure, it ran me 80-something bucks plus shipping from Majestic, but it was really an impulse buy.. hehehe

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 06-01-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

The **** on my 03 is like worn out u can't even see where the numbers used to be
Old 06-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Holy **** that shift **** goes for 100+
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you want baller status get this one
http://dvice.com/archives/2007/04/ga...aves-gas-l.php
Old 06-02-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Try a titanium **** (ARC, T1R, etc.). They don't get hot or cold like aluminum or steel *****. Try shifting after your car has been sitting in the sun all day. My buddies keep a glove or rag in the car, just for this reason. LOL.
Old 06-02-2011
CivicChick2001

This is the one i would love to get from momo, but not lookin to drop over $100 for it..

I think its pretty
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

carowcliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Defiantly doing this, shift ***** are only 15 $ from majestic!!
Old 06-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Wow that shifter that tells you what gear your in with the LEDS is awesome... I wonder how it knows what gear your in LOL
Old 06-02-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tbohar
Wow that shifter that tells you what gear your in with the LEDS is awesome... I wonder how it knows what gear your in LOL
Probably wouldn't work too well in our civics, but I have seen cars that tell you when to upshift/downshift and tell you what gear your in.
Old 06-02-2011
Whachya lookin at?

In other words it needs to be hooked up to the ECU... that makes install interesting anyway
Old 06-02-2011
CivicChick2001

went to michaels craft store.. they didnt have the color i wanted. who doesnt have basic blue? anyways, trying another store tomorrow. maybe joann's has it :-/
Old 06-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Try a titanium **** (ARC, T1R, etc.). They don't get hot or cold like aluminum or steel *****. Try shifting after your car has been sitting in the sun all day. My buddies keep a glove or rag in the car, just for this reason. LOL.
Totally true, titanium is very non-conductiven, i've been wondering how those properties affect titanium exhaust performance..
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

@ maxtierney: I just use a sun shield, keeps the wheel and dash cool too.

@ tbohar: It has to send a signal to the indicator in the cluster, makes me wonder if you tap into that. I don't think it would work with a manual tranny as there's no signal to indicate which gear it's in.

@ Shift-E: I had thought the shift light was a thing of the past but, seems to be making a resurgence. It used to be in every car with a manual tranny.

@ civicchick2001: You still have Michaels and Joanns? I had thought they went out of business.
Old 06-02-2011
Administrator
Administrator

We got both Joann's and Michael's here in Vegas still
Old 06-02-2011

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lazlong
@ maxtierney: I just use a sun shield, keeps the wheel and dash cool too.

@ tbohar: It has to send a signal to the indicator in the cluster, makes me wonder if you tap into that. I don't think it would work with a manual tranny as there's no signal to indicate which gear it's in.

@ Shift-E: I had thought the shift light was a thing of the past but, seems to be making a resurgence. It used to be in every car with a manual tranny.

@ civicchick2001: You still have Michaels and Joanns? I had thought they went out of business.
I think it was an 01 Ford Focus sedan I saw it in :P
Old 06-02-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

the led shifter is totally independent it actually learns what gear your in buy its location no wiring needed. it also can switch between 150 different colors if i had a manual i would already own it.

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-02-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2011

Originally Posted by lowlife9
the led shifter is totally independent it actually learns what gear your in buy its location no wiring needed. it also can switch between 150 different colors if i had a manual i would already own it.
Thats straight nuts yo O.O

Quick Reply: Painting Shift Knob Numbers