7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Feels like my Civic is losing horespower

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edubs77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Feels like my Civic is losing horespower

So, I have a 2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX (I'm not exactly sure what model it is), completely stock. But lately, it feels like it has been loosing horsepower for about a month now. On flat roads, I will floor it and it feels like there is no power at all. There is no immediate acceleration and it takes so long to go from 40 to 60. I cleaned out all the junk in the car because I thought it would help but it really didn't. I know cars loose power as they get older, so I guess i want to try and regain power, if it is possible. I don't want to do anything crazy like intakes or exhaust or any modifications like that, just simple things that will get my Civic back to were it was or maybe even a little bit better. Any help of information is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough
Re: Feels like my Civic is losing horespower

Originally Posted by edubs77
So, I have a 2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX (I'm not exactly sure what model it is), completely stock. But lately, it feels like it has been loosing horsepower for about a month now. On flat roads, I will floor it and it feels like there is no power at all. There is no immediate acceleration and it takes so long to go from 40 to 60. I cleaned out all the junk in the car because I thought it would help but it really didn't. I know cars loose power as they get older, so I guess i want to try and regain power, if it is possible. I don't want to do anything crazy like intakes or exhaust or any modifications like that, just simple things that will get my Civic back to were it was or maybe even a little bit better. Any help of information is greatly appreciated.
EX is the model. Try doing a compression test to see if the engine is throwing the right numbers.

How well do you maintain your car? Cleaning parts like the throttle body might help a bit. As well as changing the Spark plugs, changing the air filter and changing the oil.

That's just for starters. Use the search button and try looking up different ways to maintain your engine.
Old 05-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It sounds like you just need a good tune-up.

Check out Gearbox's forgotten tune up mods DIY, it's stickied under 7th gen engine DIYs.
Old 05-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

www.auto-rx.com
Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

mvanbv00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
How do you think that stuff would work in our transmissions? (Just curious, not going to even be the guinea pig). The website claims that it doesn't just break off chunks of debris, it methodically dissolves the deposits so that it doesn't clog passage ways. I looked at the website and it has a section for transmissions and many people said it saved their transmissions.

Also, while on the transmission topic, do our transmissions have a filter? Some people on this site say they do and some say they don't. I want to know because I just changed my ATF and my grandpa said I should change my filter also, and I told him that my car didn't have one (so I have seen on this site).

Last edited by mvanbv00; 05-26-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

There is a fluid filter for the trans, but it's inside the transmission housing, so changing it would require removing and disassembling the transmission. Basically, it's only changed during a complete rebuild. If you want you can add an external fluid filter t'd off the transmission fluid line running to the radiator, but I wouldn't bother on a 9 year car.

I would be very nervous about using the auto-rx stuff in my transmission, most of us are freaking out about converting to DW-1 from Z-1 atf nevermind aftermarket additives.
Old 05-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i would never risk it in the trans. at least not the crappy honda trans. after reading the auto-rx info, it recommends changing the filter which ofcourse is internal and cannot be changed like on newer civics. that leads me to believe something is being trapped in the filter to warrant changing it.