7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Worth the cash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point
Worth the cash?

Is it worth the cash to spend money on a full exhaust system? Or just buy the muffler itself.

And if so which exhaust system or muffler would you recomend?
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

Steez26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Worth the cash?

I would reccomend the using the search button because topics like this and what intake should I get ( which you will probably ask sometime in the near future ) have been covered more then enough times . And you have to pay to play if you want to actually improve your car a little get the full cat but if you want to look and sound like a douche get a cheap muffler it's really all up to you.
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/...f00013860.html

Get it.

Last edited by DarkSouljur; 05-23-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Without getting a header to tip exhaust it's impossible to make any actual gains, but i will sound nice with a cat back. If you want to get just a muffler go for it, but it will sound like garbage and that's the epitomy of rice.
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

WillyBrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Without getting a header to tip exhaust it's impossible to make any actual gains, but i will sound nice with a cat back. If you want to get just a muffler go for it, but it will sound like garbage and that's the epitomy of rice.
So a cat back system gives you no gains? It advertises a 4 to 5 hp gain? I am not arguing ....just wondering
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

marccayen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steez26
I would reccomend the using the search button because topics like this and what intake should I get ( which you will probably ask sometime in the near future ) have been covered more then enough times . And you have to pay to play if you want to actually improve your car a little get the full cat but if you want to look and sound like a douche get a cheap muffler it's really all up to you.
Alright next time I will try using the search system before posting. No need for the small jab just because I havn't used a search button doesn't mean I am a noob in cars. I just wanted opinions from others as I do know the 7th gen civics are not a very powerfull car or easy to get power out of. (Maybe I know that because I have built them :P) Yes I am new to modding cars but the general mechanics are nowhere new to me.

So from the end of your reply I understand if you dont do the whole exhaust it will sound bad.
Old 05-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WillyBrown
It advertises a 4 to 5 hp gain?
I laugh at our marketing guys all the time for a reason
If they turn their heads, i duck from their noses passing above me head.
And no, i don't work for a exhaust company, but same applies.
Old 05-23-2011
Little Fish

Big Tuna is an unknown quantity at this point

They always advertise over the top to try & drum up sales. They always use the larger number, which translates to the crankshaft. The parasitic loss from drivetrain drag and torque transfter is usually 15 to 30%. So in actuality, you'll only see barely a 1 hp increase at the wheels. Not worth the money, IMO. The only thing with adding a cat back is exhaust sound level and note change, which does give the perception of an increase in performance because you can hear the motor more, giving you the impression it's got more power. Translation = "it's in your mind". If you want a definite noticeable increase in output, it's gonna cost ya an intake and full header and exhaust. The rule of thumb with modifying is you have to "go with the flow", so in order to support a larger, free-er flowing exhaust, you must open up the intake to match. A good word to say would be to "un-cork" it. Wouldn't hurt to put a hotter coil pack too. That's a more expesive route, but it will get you a noticeable increase in power, where only a cat-back exhaust will not.

I used to build engines in the mid-late 90's, mainly big block Mopars and Corvette Small Blocks. My finest motor was a 440 Police motor pumping 894 HP/725 Ft Lbs. on pump gas. Good lord were those BB Mopars LOUD! My Most memorable Small Block was a '79 L-82 Corvette. I cut a "Ram-Air" hole in the hood directly in front of the intake tunnel. Punch that sucker at freeway speeds, and it was like a supercharger kicking in, bigtime! These days in the name of economy, I have gone the way of the "Spice Rice"
Old 05-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^There's really no need to upgrade the coils on a D17, the stock ones are plenty powerful for basically any level of modification. They're one of the few things on our engines that doesn't need to be changed out.