7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crank pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thewal will become famous soon enough
Crank pulley bolt

just curious, why do they not recommend using an impact to remove the crank pulley bolt? I have seen many people doing it.
Old 05-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crank pulley bolt

Well.. a lot of the times it doesnt even work If you can use an impact and it works for you go for it
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

I do it and have had no problems. Just make sure you use a torque wrench when you put it back on.
Old 05-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I've been wondering this for awhile too. I might actually stop by Honda tomorrow and ask..
Old 05-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

dont you need a special tool?
Old 05-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Are you thinking of the crank case holder tool, steve?

The bolt itself that people fight with for hours is what honda says you can't use an impact on, any less than a 1000ftlb impact is useless against it anyway.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

i have a 60 gallon air tank and a pretty powerful impact. I would rather use that than to fight with it for an hour. even if the impact does not remove it, it might help loosen it.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

You can use the special tool or a hefty screwdriver on the other end of the crank.

Use the impact, if it works great. If not, you need a BIG breaker bar and a cheater pipe (I use a fence post). If you don't want to stand on the fender and engine or rad support get an extension that moves the breaker bar outside the fender.
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

If you have a good enough impact gun you dont need the special tool. Just a little advice.
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
If you have a good enough impact gun you dont need the special tool. Just a little advice.
Most of these guys don't have impacts, let alone the size your talking about.

-----------------

Standard 3/8 impact will get it sometimes, 1/2" impact will get it most of the time. Never had a 3/4 or 1" impact but, I would assume they would work better.

If no impacts, ya gotta use the cheater pipe. The looks on their faces the first time I walk in P-N-P with a fence post was priceless. They all know me by name now.

BTW: P-N-P has a rewards card now.
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea your impact needs to be huge... I mean huge. Only a few guys have an impact that size, I sure as hell don't. So, I used the holder tool and a 3' breaker bar and it got it off no problem.
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

I was under the impression that you shouldn't use an impact gun on the crank pulley because it could damage bearings...
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I don't think I'd worry about damaging bearings..
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lazlong
Most of these guys don't have impacts, let alone the size your talking about.

-----------------

Standard 3/8 impact will get it sometimes, 1/2" impact will get it most of the time. Never had a 3/4 or 1" impact but, I would assume they would work better.

If no impacts, ya gotta use the cheater pipe. The looks on their faces the first time I walk in P-N-P with a fence post was priceless. They all know me by name now.

BTW: P-N-P has a rewards card now.
Yea you probably need a 3/4 gun, but either way my compressor sucks.
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

well. i will try the impact way if not then pure muscle heheh.
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I would for sure... I'd have the crank pulley tool available though.. just in case
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

yeah i already have it. don't want to be stuck without one.
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Good call... one way or another the tool works.. impact might not I hate getting stuck when doing jobs ... running out takes longer than the job itself sometimes.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Good call... one way or another the tool works.. impact might not I hate getting stuck when doing jobs ... running out takes longer than the job itself sometimes.
lol. Especially when you have to go to the store like 4-5 times in one day.
Old 05-16-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^Been there done that too many times. The good thing is .. if I'm going to the store I'm generally buying tools. I can justify to the wife buying tools because I'm not paying a mechanic top dollar to do the job. It's a win-win for everyone
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
^Been there done that too many times. The good thing is .. if I'm going to the store I'm generally buying tools. I can justify to the wife buying tools because I'm not paying a mechanic top dollar to do the job. It's a win-win for everyone
Unless you run into the snap-on guy first. $$$

Last edited by lazlong; 05-16-2011 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added 1 word- bet you can't tell which one. lol
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

A quick question, after installing the new timing belt what is the best and easiest way to go about rotating it to get it lined up properly before putting the tension on it.

do you rotate it using the cam pulley bolt?
Old 05-16-2011
Whachya lookin at?

set both gears to TDC and then put the belt on... I find that is the easiest way. It takes two people though one watching the camshaft and one watching the crank.
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Thanks. this is my weekend project.
Old 05-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Soooo...

I'm looking forward to k-swapping since I'll have a timing chain then lol
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

I use a regular size impact gun on em and have never had an issue. Just my .02
Old 05-17-2011
Whachya lookin at?

^ You've been lucky and you probably know what your doing more than the average person. It's best for the average DIY'r to have the tool available. Especially since most people have very small compressors and impacts. Just google honda crank bolt and see what comes up