7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Sealing Headlights

Old 05-14-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough
Sealing Headlights

Whats the best way to seal your headlights once their opened? I've noticed some people just heat it back up and press it toghether with the existing sealent, while others say to remove the old sealent and put new sealent.

New sealent sounds like it would obviously be better, but taking off the old sealent is a pain in the ***.

With the old sealent, im afraid if it would leave air bubbles/leaks where water vapour or dust could get in.

Which is the better route to go? (First timer)
Old 05-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sealing Headlights

the existing sealant method used to be popular here but it doesnt always work. once the original seal has been broken, its very hard to get it perfectly sealed again. i would recommend adding more of a butyl based sealer like 3m windoweld ribbon or similar stuff autozone and napa sell that comes on a roll and is sticky. and use heat along with some pliars to clamp them back together one section at a time. do it right the first time otherwise you will have to open it again when all sorts of water gets in and causes fogging. you can add extra sealer to the oem stuff without scraping any out.
Old 05-14-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

What do you think about removing the old sealent (well as much as you can) and applying new sealent all around? Cuz I kinda already removed the sealent from one headlamp.. :P It was a pain! then I decided to post to see if I could use the old sealent for the second one.
Old 05-14-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Just thought i'd add in: These are ebay headlights and not oem so the sealant probably isn't as good
Old 05-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it should be similar enough. all the aftermarkets ive tried have the same grey or black stuff like oem. but yeah there is no problem removing the oem stuff if you want and using all new sealer. thats what i did with my retro, mostly because its been apart so many times the sealer was coming off lol.