7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold air or Short Ram air

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Un4givenshadow is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold air or Short Ram air

The title kind of says it all... Should I get a cold air intake or a Short Ram air intake... I get paid this week and that is my car buy of the month... So tell me folks... What do ya think?
Old 05-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cold air or Short Ram air

If you live closer to the south western coast, CAI
If you live closer to the north, or to the east coast, SRI

If you live in the french colonies, SRI
Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

Steez26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Neither will do anything for your civic so IMO save it and do something for your mom on mothers day or save it for suspension or stereo stuff. But if you decide to get one cai look cooler
Old 05-03-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

It really doesn't make that big of a difference on a D17

An SRI would make it easier to access the filter for say, cleaning or replacement.
Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Or gulf coast. Its hot, humid(h20 gobbler), and dusty all at the same time.

I would get SRI. A CAI just gets in the way like the stock airbox
Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

Yeah I figured it wouldnt do a whole lot... But I wanna do it just to free up some room in there and take that giant plastic box out of there.
Old 05-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

SRI then.
CAI tends to get thirsty and the first water puddle it will act like a camel in the desert for 5 days without water. Ssssslurrrrrp!
Old 05-03-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
SRI then.
CAI tends to get thirsty and the first water puddle it will act like a camel in the desert for 5 days without water. Ssssslurrrrrp!
I dont know why this made me laugh so loud but it did while I am at work in an office
Old 05-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

sooorry!
Old 05-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

you know, i re-read myself again and am rolling on the floor right now... new definition to CAI added...

That's what happens after a whole day in a meeting...
Old 05-03-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
If you live closer to the south western coast, CAI
If you live closer to the north, or to the east coast, SRI

If you live in the french colonies, SRI
You're an ******* .
Who says there's lotsa water in the "French colonies" !
Old 05-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by iSharix
You're an ******* .
Who says there's lotsa water in the "French colonies" !
Mais non, ma chere!
Old 05-03-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Lotsa snow = lotsa water
Frenchies = lotsa snow

and nowhere did i say anything about water
Old 05-03-2011
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Lotsa snow = lotsa water
Frenchies = lotsa snow

and nowhere did i say anything about water
Thats CANADIANS to you !
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Un4givenshadow
The title kind of says it all... Should I get a cold air intake or a Short Ram air intake... I get paid this week and that is my car buy of the month... So tell me folks... What do ya think?
I went with the Short Ram intake so i can only speak about it, It has been installed for 3 months now and 4400 miles with only one issue.... the check engine light, throwing a running lean bank 1 code on android app Torque. It either clears itself and go's away, or stays on until i put a full tank of gas in my car. (Yes very odd) I didn't notice any fuel economy boost, or power boost because i refuse to be faked out by the noise it makes at 5000 RPM+. I figure on paper I'm getting 6+ HP gain for 240 bucks.... along with a different sound. Think about it on a different aspect as well, its shorter, lighter, less chance of hydro lock, and sounds better than a cold air intake. If i can figure out how to post pictures i'll go n take a few on how the K&N System looks.
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

I bought my car with a SRI but i can't get a CAI where i live because it rains and it's not as hot and dry as like LA or Vegas :P I love my sri, i get a bit of HP+ and everyone that i drive loves the sound of it. If i'm not mistaken i think i get slightly better gas mileage but i'm not sure. And like they said CAI's just get in the way, SRIs are a bit cheaper so you can spend money elsewhere, and I feel like i got my money's worth.
Old 05-04-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
I feel like i got my money's worth.
What do you mean your moneys worth? You bought it with the car at an amazing price! lol.

I, however, did buy one and do feel like I got my money's worth :P
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

Alright cool well if some people are thinking its worth the money might as well try it. And if I dont like it... eh whatever its just money!
Old 05-04-2011
Kenny the Ricer

With that attitude, you can do a lot with your car :P
Hell, you can even throw some of that money my way

Just buy a SRI, just for the cool sound.
And the placebo effect of more imaginary power and mpg
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

Haha NO I can barely afford the crap now but. when I get the chance to buy it, it definitely happens!

Yay! Placebo effect! Ill take it! that and the sound is nice
Old 05-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

whatever you do don't leave the cheap ebay filter on it im guessing thats what your getting rite a no name ebay SRI.
Old 05-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DrunkinStuper
I went with the Short Ram intake so i can only speak about it, It has been installed for 3 months now and 4400 miles with only one issue.... the check engine light, throwing a running lean bank 1 code on android app Torque. It either clears itself and go's away, or stays on until i put a full tank of gas in my car. (Yes very odd) I didn't notice any fuel economy boost, or power boost because i refuse to be faked out by the noise it makes at 5000 RPM+. I figure on paper I'm getting 6+ HP gain for 240 bucks.... along with a different sound. Think about it on a different aspect as well, its shorter, lighter, less chance of hydro lock, and sounds better than a cold air intake. If i can figure out how to post pictures i'll go n take a few on how the K&N System looks.
1.did you reset the ECU after you installed the intake
2 did you put way to much oil on the filter? that can mess up sensors.
Old 05-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
whatever you do don't leave the cheap ebay filter on it im guessing thats what your getting rite a no name ebay SRI.
Yeah It was some no name thing but I bought an actual K&N filter for it!

Last edited by Un4givenshadow; 05-06-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2011
Registered!!

DrunkinStuper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lowlife9
1.did you reset the ECU after you installed the intake
2 did you put way to much oil on the filter? that can mess up sensors.

Reset the ECU?? Now thats a good question.... I didn't, nor did I know i would have to. I'm going to look it up.

The filter came from K&N, well the whole kit K&N Short Ram Intake System. It was factory oiled, and didn't see any warnings to let it dry out before hand.

Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0044.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	80786  
Old 05-06-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a SRI... not only does it not make any power difference but it's much easier to work with like Josh(XriceboyX said)...
Old 05-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Get a SRI... not only does it not make any power difference but it's much easier to work with like Josh(XriceboyX said)...
Haha thanks for the help :P If nothing else it will make the under the hood a lot less ugly!