Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Trunk lever not working!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vi3tx13oy is an unknown quantity at this point
Trunk lever not working!

okay i've searched around the forum and i've seen people having trouble with their trunk/fuel lever. i dont know if the cable is broken or something but only the trunk lever seems to be stuck. the fuel lever works fine. is it that the cable might be disconnected? do i need to get a new cable because my fuel lever seems to be working fine, only the trunk lever doesnt work. its stuck and im scared if i force it, it'll break. Any advice? i dont want to go to the dealer and spend hundreds of dollars just to fix this. Thanks

PS: its a 2005 civic LX coupe

Last edited by vi3tx13oy; 04-26-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Trunk lever not working!

Wouldn't hurt opening up the panels to get a look at the handle/latch since that's where most problems are with our cars and this. Check out http://fueldoorfix.com/ to see how to remove the panels in their video. Since only the gas lever is working, I'm guessing either something is disconnected on the driver's side or it's a problem in the trunk.

Also if the connecting part within the handle/latch is rusted up, it's a sign that it might break soon, and adding the fueldoorfix product might be good preventive measures. Just food for thought
Old 04-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

check the trunk latch. sometimes the cable can get stuck.
Old 04-26-2011
J-K
Registered!!

J-K is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine's doing the same thing; it was working before I locked the valet trunk lock, but then after I turned the key back to unlock the trunk lever, it stayed locked. Would this be the same cable problem? It sucks having to get out and unlock the trunk manually..
Old 04-26-2011
Registered!!

so if i go ahead and install the fueldoorfix product will it solve my problem?
Old 04-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thats only for the fuel door i believe. i dont know if its the same cable, but then i imagine your fuel door wouldnt open either. for the other guy, take apart the key lock assembly next to the lever. sometimes it gets stuck in locked postion even if the cable is fine.
Old 04-27-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by J-K
Mine's doing the same thing; it was working before I locked the valet trunk lock, but then after I turned the key back to unlock the trunk lever, it stayed locked. Would this be the same cable problem? It sucks having to get out and unlock the trunk manually..
On my ES1 I had to shim behind the lock cylinder pushing it forward. I used multiple times folded paper and wedged it between the back of the cylinder and the metal frame behind it. Worked fine afterwards.

OP what are the symptoms you have...? Lever won't move at all ? or lever moves and nothing happens ?
Old 04-27-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by vi3tx13oy
so if i go ahead and install the fueldoorfix product will it solve my problem?
Don't install or buy it until you've opened up the handle/latch to make sure it's your problem. Since the fuel door IS working, I'm betting it's not your problem, but it doesn't hurt to check since this part breaks on our cars often. The only reason I recommended checking it out is because the trunk lid not working could be a clue that there's something broken in there. Check out the truck first though, like Gearbox recommended.
Old 04-27-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
On my ES1 I had to shim behind the lock cylinder pushing it forward. I used multiple times folded paper and wedged it between the back of the cylinder and the metal frame behind it. Worked fine afterwards.

OP what are the symptoms you have...? Lever won't move at all ? or lever moves and nothing happens ?
yeah its stuck. its not pulling upwards at all. its glued to its position and i cant pull it at all.
Old 04-27-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by J-K
You may have the same issue as this person. On the 7th gens the key cylinder can be popped loose and straight up with a flat blade screwdriver you can reach down in and work the lock with your fingers once cylinder is out.
You may try shimming behind the cylinder to put pressure forward and see if it will unlock. You should here and feel a click when locking/unlocking if working correctly.
Old 04-27-2011
J-K
Registered!!

J-K is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys were right, after popping the cover around the key cylinder off, you can get in from the side with a screw driver and pop the mechanism over to the right into the position it's supposed to be in when unlocked. I also noticed after doing this that the trunk pops up a lot further than it did before for some reason.
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

Good news! i just fixed my trunk lever. it seems that the key cylinder was misplaced or something. i knew it had to do something with it cuz i was unlocking/ locking i didnt hear any click. but thanks anyways guys, you helped me out a lot
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

SpotTheCat is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice! thanks!

The latch that is supposed to grab onto the key doesn't work. It's also pathetic how easily the locking mechanism is thwarted. All I needed was a screwdriver.
Old 04-30-2011

At least it is an easy fix with the shim.

On the 8th gens the cylinder is at least locked into the sill trim.
Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

mehdiq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J-K
You guys were right, after popping the cover around the key cylinder off, you can get in from the side with a screw driver and pop the mechanism over to the right into the position it's supposed to be in when unlocked. I also noticed after doing this that the trunk pops up a lot further than it did before for some reason.
Thanks a lot ! I solved my problem this way... but the locking system is broken and doesn't work anymore. at least I dont need to turn off the engine and get out to open the trunk!
Old 11-12-2020
Registered!!

Yesenia Robles is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I have a question so for my Honda Civic the trunk and fuel lever is staying in the upper position when I pull in to unlock the trunk I was trying to take it apart to see if it was dirty that was the reason why I was stuck but I can’t seem to figure it out anybody have any suggestions thank you appreciate it

Originally Posted by Brian1037
Don't install or buy it until you've opened up the handle/latch to make sure it's your problem. Since the fuel door IS working, I'm betting it's not your problem, but it doesn't hurt to check since this part breaks on our cars often. The only reason I recommended checking it out is because the trunk lid not working could be a clue that there's something broken in there. Check out the truck first though, like Gearbox recommended.
Old 11-12-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Take the trim off so you can actually see the cable and you should be able to tell if you need to replace the cable
Old 11-13-2020

Not sure if FDF (Fuel Door Fix) is still available.

I clamped one on my still working 05s.
Old 11-13-2020
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i think the part written lock comes off first to show a bolt in there. Fuel door fix seems to be gone now. There is a website, but it's iffy.

yep, found the DIY

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...fix-coupe.html

Old 11-13-2020
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I remember years ago repairing this issue with a nail as a splint where the cable meets the lever and securing in place with 2 small worm-style plumbing clamps. Has held together so far.
The following users liked this post:
sdaidoji (11-13-2020)
Old 07-24-2023
Registered!!

Elliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW

This is EXACTLY what's wrong with my latch. Along with the fuel door randomly popping open (I know my foot is t hitting it.) Pics or vid of your fix please?
Old 07-25-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Why not pull the trim off and see what's wrong?
Old 07-25-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Read through the end of the thread before quoting
have you tried the link posted?

Originally Posted by Elliegirl
This is EXACTLY what's wrong with my latch. Along with the fuel door randomly popping open (I know my foot is t hitting it.) Pics or vid of your fix please?
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
i think the part written lock comes off first to show a bolt in there. Fuel door fix seems to be gone now. There is a website, but it's iffy.

yep, found the DIY

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...fix-coupe.html
Colin42 (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023
Registered!!

Elliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Read through the end of the thread before quoting
have you tried the link posted?
why do you assume I didn't read through the thread? That seems a little condescending. And yes I did check the link, a how to on how to fix the fuel door issue. Not what I ws asking for. I was referring to the fix the person had for the problem with the valet trunk lock remaining unresponsive after the lock had been turned back to the unlocked position. The person said they had shimmed the cylinder. I was requesting clarification on where they placed the shim for the positive result. Not something covered in the link. But I can see how you would be confused on what I was asking as I did mention the unnecessary info about the fuel door popping open randomly. An annoying issue to be sure but not as serious to me as the trunk release not functioning.
Old 07-26-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Just put something behind the lock to have it higher than now... Use the link pictures. nothing more to it...
Elliegirl (07-27-2023)