7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: What should I do with my car? Read post for explanation.
Option 1 in post.
0%
Option 2 in post.
42.86%
Option 3 in post.
42.86%
Option 4 in post.
14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

To K20 or not to K20

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ricanswt is on a distinguished road
To K20 or not to K20

So last Friday my little D17 engine decided to blow its head gasket at 83k miles. And I cant make up my mind on just what to do with it. I've got a few options in mind, and would like all of your input on the matter. In all cases, I will drop whatever car I have as soon as I can afford a Lotus Evora or Exige.

1) Repair the D17 and sell the car as soon as I can afford a new car. Likely another civic or similarly priced car.

2) Repair the D17 and modify its internals a bit to tide me over.

3) Part out the D17 and get a K20 engine in its place.

4) Part out the D17 and get a K24.

Im lookin forward to your feed back ^_^.

Last edited by ricanswt; 04-20-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: To K20 or not to K20

for quick fix is to get anothe D17 and test for compression, etc, etc and drop it on the bay.
Swaps always carry a risk of not starting, electrical adaptations, etc.
Seems from the amount of guys that come here asking why the swap does not work well that it is above the average person to do. just me 2 cents.
if you know what you doing, try the K20/24, but time constrains and cash will be a problem if UR only car.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-20-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If your real goal is to get into a Lotus and that's something that you might achieve within the next 5 years then I wouldn't waste $5k plus on a k-swap, put that towards your lotus because it will be hard to sell a k-series 7th gen and you won't get any money back.

I vote your throw in a stage 1 cam and don't touch anything else.
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ yup, MB beat me to this additional info/POV.
Old 04-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

get the k20
Old 04-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
get the k20
Gearbox is what some might call an, "enabler".
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

I think GB is telling us: "Sissies! Man up and do it! "
Old 04-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Perhaps another route..

Step 1: K-swap Civic.
Step 2: Purchase Lotus
Step 3: Swap D17 back into Civic and sell.
Step 4: K-swap Lotus.

Old 04-20-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Perhaps another route..

Step 1: K-swap Civic.
Step 2: Purchase Lotus
Step 3: Swap D17 back into Civic and sell.
Step 4: K-swap Lotus.

Why would you want to swap one low revving low tq engine to another? Spend the money on a boost or build
Old 04-20-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Get a d17. Use it as an Eco box and get a lotus
Old 04-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Why would you want to swap one low revving low tq engine to another? Spend the money on a boost or build
The after-market support for a k-series engine/boost build blows that for the 2zz out of the water.

case in point.
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread...ighlight=lotus
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

bwaaahahaha! this is getting interesting!

And sorry, sl33py, i don't like toyotas at all
Old 04-20-2011

The after-market support for a k-series engine/boost build blows that for the 2zz out of the water.

case in point.
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread...ighlight=lotus

seen it. im on the lotus forum as well.

but my point is, with the same amount of money/time/frab you can fully build the 2zz making much more power than the k20 can offer NA

the guy in the link is not only swaping, he is boosting it which will cost wayyyyyyyy more. im merely referring to the cost benefit wise.

plus, most people cannot drive those cars anything close to their limit with stock power.

dont get my wrong, im a k20 fan but only a very very small percentage of lots owners have a kswap. its just not as practical.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 04-20-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

one way or the other, the cheapest is to find a reliable D17 and drop it there, especially if it is the only ride available. Not gonna do the pool either
Old 04-20-2011

his goal is 350-400whp...

which can easily be attained with a fully built+turbo for the cost of a k20+trans+turbo+tune+labor

(tat was my point)
Old 04-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I totally agree, the swap isn't practical unless you really want to do a crazy build with huge numbers and the greater after-market support is worth the extra expense of doing a swap.

It's a similar argument to swapping or turboing the d17, for the cost of a k-swap you can make more power on a d17 than a stock k20 or k24, but you'll always hit a ceiling. If you want to do something crazy, then paying the extra initial cost for a k-swap virtually eliminates that ceiling and allows you to go crazy.

my suggestion to k-swap the civic then lotus isn't practical are serious, unless the op wants 800hp of turbo Honda sex.

seen it. im on the lotus forum as well.

but my point is, with the same amount of money/time/frab you can fully build the 2zz making much more power than the k20 can offer NA

the guy in the link is not only swaping, he is boosting it which will cost wayyyyyyyy more. im merely referring to the cost benefit wise.

plus, most people cannot drive those cars anything close to their limit with stock power.

dont get my wrong, im a k20 fan but only a very very small percentage of lots owners have a kswap. its just not as practical.
Old 04-20-2011

Just buy an Ariel atom. K20 powa. Everyone wins.
Old 04-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Just buy an Ariel atom. K20 powa. Everyone wins.
Not exactly a practical daily driver tho lol

a bit cold in the winter me thinks.
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

his goal is 350-400whp...
?!?
ahhhh, OK, 2007-2008 posts, i see?
And he wanted to get these in an engine that blew a few (3?) years later, but he stated he wanted a lotus sometime ago, and now talking that he wants to get a lotus some time from now? Gotcha! will chill down now

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-20-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ricanswt is on a distinguished road

unless the op wants 800hp of turbo Honda sex.
Definitely not looking for 800hp heh.

I like to fling my car around a few track corners on occasion. And as it stands there is a lot more money in my chassis/suspension work than in my engine. I just love to challenge the lateral limits of my tires/suspension.

Don't know how much this changes things, but the D17's AUTO transmission is dying too. Could always swap that to a manual heh.

So yah, speed has never really been my thing, but the D17 is just a tad TOO slow. Getting some more power couldn't hurt my lap times.
Old 04-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Swap in the K20 and forget the Lotus. That's my opinion